HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.6.0 available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Nope.. Go ahead and make one, then pri.msg me with the link..
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

Hi Frank,

the extensions work great now, thanks a lot for all your work!

While using it however I had two ideas:
1. is it possible to change single headers by calling a command directly in the "JavaScript Console" of TB? This way it would be more easy to automatise special actions (and I know form other extensions that it works sometimes)
2. it would be nice to have the possibility to delet complete headers e.g. with a Delte-button right next to the header.

Toby
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK,

I think what you are trying to say is you want a way to change just one header from X to Y without bringing up the 'header changer' dialog.
This functionality is not coded, but don't see that it would be that difficult..

For that, the user would have to supply three pieces of info..
1) the header name.
2) the old header value.
3) the new header value.

For delete header functionality.. things get a bit more tricky.. Some headers should NOT be deleted, and so, the extension would have to know which should include the 'do not delete' bit.. Again , not that difficult
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

I think what you are trying to say is you want a way to change just one header from X to Y without bringing up the 'header changer' dialog.
Exactly that is what I was trying to say!
Some headers should NOT be deleted
You're right, I forgot about these or let's rather say thought it could be up to the user - but its saver if it isn't.
As I said these where only ideas - nothgin urgend,... But since I thought it would not bee to hard to implement I wanted to share them. It would be really cool to have these functions one day.
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

ausdilecce wrote:Pgr, you are NOT dreaming.. ( but its more like Gmail's categories :) ) This is the reason I made it..

Ok, after a few days away I am back at my attempts to use this extension for what I need.

The idea is...

I get mail from clients; I respond; months go by; more mail is exchanged with the same client; subject lines are typically no good to thread by.

It would be nice to be able to see messages grouped by client (all messages, both sent and received), but current TB features aren't enough. Labels would do the trick, but there are few labels and too many clients.

Ideally, I would want to be able to label each message with the client name or number, and then use that field to group.

So, this new version of HeaderTools extension, lets me put additional information (like client number) into the message headers, but I can't group based on that information...

If I could just add my custom header as a new column in the message display...

Am I missing something? How can I do this?

Thanks!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

PGR,

Group by and the columns in the thread pane can ONLY use 'indexed' fields. Custom headers are NOT indexed ( because they could conceivably be anything..

Try creating virtual folders ( saved searches ) based on the values of your new headers.. One saved search per client and then put all of those saved search folders in one 'real' folder called 'clients'

Or you could create custom views...
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

Ok, I'll try your suggestions...

A few issues you might want to look into:

1- I changed the "Subject" of a message, which was very long, to a shorter one. The result was that the final characters of the original subject are still showing, they would need to be truncated.

2- When adding a X-Categories header on a message, after it was done the message started showing a date of "01-01-1970". I guess the original date was lost along the way. The <B>current</b> message source shows the following headers:

<i>From - Thu Jun 30 12:57:57 2005
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: 5E524EB9FB1F4C01A2D497191B324E
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
Received: from ([127.0.0.1]) with MailEnable ESMTP; Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:57:37 +0100
Received: From BLIND (unverified [192.168.0.230]) by SMTP Server [192.168.0.1]
(WinGate SMTP Receiver v6.0.5 (Build 1027)) with SMTP id <0005652445@smtp.zbdiff.com>;
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:58:57 +1200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Support Desk Login Information
X-Mailer: eSupport v2
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="=_d092cd7c3615230eb5be3b6ce9aa329e"
Message-ID: <iiwc3w.3dx@support.zbdiff.com>
To: mc@gofigure.pt
X-Categories: xyz</i>

3- It would be a lot easier if we could access the "Change Header Details" menu option by right-clicking the message (from the context-menu).

Thanks <b>a lot</b> for this extension.
harryhaller

Post by harryhaller »

t's a fine extension - but doesn't quite do the job...

I have a problem with TWO line subject lines!

Somehow or other some of the mails I receive, have a new-line character embedded in the subject line - so I need to go in and edit that out.

TB shows the two lines as one line, with the newline as an unprintable graphic character.

Unfortunately, this extension ASSUMES the subject is one line, instead of reading the next lines until it gets a new "tag".

Would it be possible to let us, as an option, edit the headers in free-format (raw text) ? That would solve the above problem and also others mentioned above.
<B>Slackware 10.1</B>,
<B>Firefox-2.0.0.3</B>
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

First off,

No, I cannot allow users to see the headers in raw text.. There is too much that can go wrong.. If something *does* go wrong, then the users will say that my extension destroyed their Inbox bla bla bla.. I have been down that road before.. I don't like that road..

The extension assumed that headers take one line cuz that is what I assumed.. I was wrong.. Sue me

I am attempting to correct this mistaken assumption.. A fixed version should be available soon..

Cheers
harryhaller

Post by harryhaller »

ausdilecce wrote:
The extension assumed that headers take one line cuz that is what I assumed.. I was wrong.. Sue me

Forget my post - It's more complicated than that. I ended up with a two line subject after trying to correct the problem with the extension. Subject lines are, as far as I know too, just one line.

The problem seems to be in the msf file, when the subject "overflows" into another record. This is a TB bug - and editing the subject line does not fix it.

TB does not show what's in the subject line in the messagefile, but what is in the msf file.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Forget my post - the ext. works just fine ! (TB doesn't !!!)
<B>Slackware 10.1</B>,
<B>Firefox-2.0.0.3</B>
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Actually,

The extension ( the version you have ) does not handle multiline headers .. and it really should
TBs msf files handle multiline subjects just fine ( youe will see a pipe character | where the CRLF is )

I am afraid to say that my extension, being that it could not handle multiline headers, probably contributed to your issue.. I am trying to fix it now..
jnavas

Post by jnavas »

harryhaller wrote:
ausdilecce wrote:The extension assumed that headers take one line cuz that is what I assumed.. I was wrong.. Sue me

Forget my post - It's more complicated than that. I ended up with a two line subject after trying to correct the problem with the extension. Subject lines are, as far as I know too, just one line.

The problem seems to be in the msf file, when the subject "overflows" into another record. This is a TB bug - and editing the subject line does not fix it.

TB does not show what's in the subject line in the messagefile, but what is in the msf file.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Forget my post - the ext. works just fine ! (TB doesn't !!!)

Per Internet Standard 11 (RFC 822) and Standards Track RFC 2822, there may be only one Subject header, but it may be of any length, and "folded" into multiple lines.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Get the new version ( 0.4.4 ) from www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools.xpi

It includes:
1) support for Headers with multiple lines ( sorry guys )
2) Support "Change Header Details" menu option by right-clicking the message (from the context-menu)
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

ausdilecce,

have you had a chance to look at the bugs I reported in my previous post?

Thanks
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Pgr,

Please try the newest version.. I fixed a couple of failure points..

and "Change Header Details" is now a message context menu option