HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.6.0 available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

"Will release version with label and flag value preservation very soon..."

waiting patiently ... [*grin*] actually, i don't need that fixed as i am now using x-tags for everything. i just want perfection, of course!

take care,
lee
daviswj

Post by daviswj »

ausdilecce,

That will be great :) !!

Also waiting patiently ... but busy trying to track down emails whose label he forgot to reinstate :) ...

Bill Davis
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

I *think* I finally got the label and flag preservation bug fixed..

Get the 0.5.5 version from www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools055.xpi
daviswj

Post by daviswj »

Outstanding work, ausdilecce! A quick test from here is looking very good :). Thank you very much.

On a slightly different subject (and hoping I'm not being a pain) was wondering if you'd seen this topic and if you'd like more information.

Many, many, thanks ...,
Bill Davis
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

dl'd and installed 055. tested on msgs with and without attachments. works FINE! [*grin*] label and flag settings kept with no problem at all.

thanks, dude! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

ausdilecce,

would you mind going to
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=114656

and commenting on the discussion going on there?

It seems your work with tags and your knowledge of what users require would be a great help there.

Just a thought. Thanks.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Pgr,

I commented on the bug you specified, don't know how much good it will do tho

Cheers
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

I have been playing with 0.5.5 for a bit now and have found some bugs. At least two are potentially very destructive. Perhaps in older versions too?

Config is TB 1.5, UW IMAP, HT0.5.5

- Select one or more messages. Pick "Tools->Add X-Tags->Work". The selected message(s) VANISH.

- Select a number of messages. Right-click and choose CHD, modify the X-Tags header, and click OK. Only the first message is modified. The rest are ignored.

- Select a message with an attachment. Modify any header data (via tools or context menu). Modification is made, attachment is still shown in TB, but message size is truncated and can't open the attachment...think it's gone.

Ideas? Anything you'd like me to check/test to help diagnose this better?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy zyzzyvas,

[1] and [3] don't happen to me with the test msgs i used on a pop3 account.

[2] is as designed, i think.
would be nice to find an obvious way to let the user know that ONLY the 1st msg will get changed but seems clear enuf to me.

take care,
lee
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

I suspect [1] and [3] are IMAP related. As for [2], interested to hear if this is the intended behaviour. If so, then I would suggest a popup message when trying to right-click-CHD a bunch of messages. eg, "CHD only operates on single messages, bonehead!" or something.

Naturally, I'd really prefer if I *could* modify multiple messages...would make tagging a bunch of messages easy.
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

ausdilecce wrote:Pgr,
I commented on the bug you specified, don't know how much good it will do tho
Cheers
Thanks for your fast response! That bug has been going on for a LONG time, but now it seems to be "moving". I think your input is very important, you have more experience with this stuff.

It would be great if something like this was implemented into the core TB. Thanks.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy zyzzyvas,

suspected that on [1] & [3]. [*grin*]

as for [2], when i want to tag multiples, i use the tools menu. it does make an interesting UI question ... perhaps if the chd window auto-magically UN-selected the items that weren't gonna be tagged?

take care,
lee
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

zyzzyvas,

yes, issue 2 is as it is supposed to work. CHD can only be used on one message at a time. Unselecting those messages that will not be used with CHD is very difficult to do .. Trust me on that..

Putting in a warning message is kind of daft *after* the first time it happens.. So it would just become annoying after the first time..

issue 1.. are you sure the message(s) are gone ? sometimes one needs to 'refresh' the imap folder by selecting some other folder and reselecting the original folder.. I *thot* that v 0.5.5 would fix that but...

issue 3... scary.. what size was the message before hand ? what type of attachment was it ? how many attachments were there ?
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

RE: #2 -- sorry, I don't see the logic...with no warning, users will assume all the messages were changed, when in fact they were not. The user should not even be ALLOWED to get to the CHD screen if multiple messages are selected. The warning message would not get annoying because after the first time, the user would know that's not allowed.

RE: #1 -- I see no messages in TB, but looking in the mbox file I see some messages seemingly marked for deletion, some not. The weird part is, they all disappear on compacting. I can send you the mbox files before and after HT (before compacting) so you can look at them.

RE: #3 -- Happens to any attachment for me, from 100k to 5mb. I would be happy to send sample mbox files before/after (before compaction) for analysis. It's really strange that the message size drops, but the paperclip and attachment still show for the message. But it's not there.

BTW, Both #1 and #3 work fine on local folders, so the problem is definitely IMAP-specific. Perhaps even specific to UW IMAP for all I know.

Let me know where to send my mbox test folders and I will do so...I bet they will help.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce & zyzzyvas,

i can see the ui with [2] could be disconcerting. it LOOKS like it's going to affect all the selected items cuz they STAY hilited when the cdh window pops up. then, when you apply the change, ONLY the item actually changed is hilited.

to _me_ that last - the UN-selecting of the UN-affected items - makes it clear that the first item is all that got changed.

i can see that others might not catch that, tho. [*grin*]

some obvious-to-me ui methods ...

[1] unselect the other items when the chd windows opens
this is good enuf for me.

[2] alert msg box that only 1st item will be changed
i would HATE this option.

[3] alert msg box that only 1st item will be changed with a "don't show this alert again" checkbox
acceptable.

[4] do a quicktag on the selection set with the header & value entered in the 1st item
this _might_ be ok, but it seems too easy to tag things in ways you don't really want.

[5] sequence thru the selection set
this is another good choice, but gets complicated code-wise, i suspect.

[6] change only 1st item & unselect the other items AFTER the change is applied
this is the current behavior and is acceptable.

take care,
lee