AutoSave ( for TB ) ver 0.0.96 is available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mopepom

Post by mopepom »

berni23 wrote:Can i use this to save an email and restore it on another computer?

If so, how do i do it?
Yes - with relative ease.

For example if I have a flashcard called E:/, Autosave could save an e-mail to:
E:\EML Outgoing\2005.12.22.05.31-TO=DOUG(Doug.XXXX@pwgsc.gc.ca)-SJ=Annual Greeting.eml
following some simple rule or ceonvention.
Then if the flashcard is plugged into the other computer, which has TB on it - just start up TB, Use File/Open Saved Message and browse to the appropriate record on E:/. There you have it.

I am not sure that this record will be integrated with the other TB e-mail already in the second machine. Likely not.
mopepom
ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
mopepom

Post by mopepom »

berni23 wrote:Can i use this to save an email and restore it on another computer?

If so, how do i do it?
Yes - remember the email is saved as a normal file with the extension .eml.
It is a matter of getting that file over to the other computer (send it as an attachment, put it on a flashcard, or floppy).
Then open your TB and select File/Open Saved Message, browsing to the record you have just transferred. That's it, although I don't think the email integrates with the other email in the second machine.
mopepom
berni23

Post by berni23 »

It does.
Thanx! Gret thing!
berni23

Post by berni23 »

I hope i´m doing something wrong, but it seems to me the extention is absolutly out of control, as it saves random old emails from various folders(in and out) on my c: drive.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!
alxemi

Post by alxemi »

Hi forum people.
First of all, thanks ausdilecce for you incredible work, this extension turns thunderbird into a powerful mail archiver like no other.

I´ve read before in the forum that you are working in the long-subject problem, how is it going? I really need it to be fixed :o)

thanks again, regards to everybody.
mopepom

saving random old e-mails

Post by mopepom »

berni23 wrote:I hope i´m doing something wrong, but it seems to me the extention is absolutly out of control, as it saves random old emails from various folders(in and out) on my c: drive.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

I suggest that you try to understand how the extension responds to yhe settings you give it.

This can be done, if you start with one setting and then send two e-mails to yourself - one that meets the criterion and one that does not. When you read these e-mails look to see exactly where the e-mails are saved, and then examine your criterion again. Adjust the criterion and keep experimenting until you figure out what autosave can handle and can not.

This way you will develop your own set of rules, specifically for your situation. It will be well worth it.
mopepom
mopepom

saving random old e-mails

Post by mopepom »

berni23 wrote:I hope i´m doing something wrong, but it seems to me the extention is absolutly out of control, as it saves random old emails from various folders(in and out) on my c: drive.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

I suggest that you try to understand how the extension responds to yhe settings you give it.

This can be done, if you start with one setting and then send two e-mails to yourself - one that meets the criterion and one that does not. When you read these e-mails look to see exactly where the e-mails are saved, and then examine your criterion again. Adjust the criterion and keep experimenting until you figure out what autosave can handle and can not.

This way you will develop your own set of rules, specifically for your situation. It will be well worth it.
mopepom
philhr

Saving in HTML format

Post by philhr »

Wonderful extension!

A question: I know that I can change the extension of the files (i.e. from "eml" to "txt" or "htm"), but is there a way to actually export _as_ HTML, as is possible when using the "save to" function in TB? This produces nicely formatted HTML output. Just curious is this is possible now ... or perhaps in future versions?

Keep up the good work.
Deacon272

Post by Deacon272 »

I wonder if I could ask a big favor of the gurus here. I just downloaded and installed the AutoSave Extension and it's the first one I've had to be concerned about setting up. Some of the terms are new to me, such as the user_prefs lines, where they should go, what file, located where....etc.

I've read a lot fo the threads, including the first one of course, and they all presume that I know at least the basics. Frankly, I just don't have the time to learn all there is to know about Thunderbird. So my question is this:

Can someone please explain in layman's terms, how I begin to set up an existing directory within Thunderbird, called "SAVE", that has emails in it already so that I can archive the emails in it to eml or txt. I don't need an auto save functionality per se as I selectively move emails into this directory. But from time to time, I like to archive these saved emails.

Again, I apologize for asking perhaps the obvious of those who've dealt with others about this for so long. Believe me, I know it's a PITA as I'm one of you and do the very same thing on several other forums in other disciplines.

TIA,
Deacon
Atle

Thunderbird 1.5

Post by Atle »

Hi, and thanks for this great extension !

I'm planning to upgrade my TB to version 1.5...

But I would like to know if this extension will install (and behave as normal) on TB 1.5 before I upgrade...
..-or do you know when it will be available for TB 1.5 ?

Thanks!
mopepom

Post by mopepom »

I have just gone through the upgrade from TB 1.0.7 to TB 1.5.

So far AUTOSAVE appears to be working well. I am still checking it out - some incoming mail doesn't get saved, but I had that problem under TB 1.0.7.

Here is the procedure I used:

1) I first backed up my TB profile using MozBackup 1.4.3 (which is available for free at http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.html).

2) Then I did a system backup using System Restore (under Windows XP).

3) THEN I UN-INSTALLED TB 1.07. - very important. If you don't do this you will likely corrupt your TB profile with all your extensions.

4) Then I did an install of TB 1.5.

This went very well. The whole thing took just a few minutes to do.

5) The TB 1.5 Install program detects which extensions need to be upgraded and you can have it do this automatically. AUTOSAVE is NOT one of these that needs updating. Take a minute and write down the names of the extensions that need updating. You will likely find that some older extensions are no longer needed under TB 1.5.

6) I have now backed up my TB 1.5 using MozBackup 1.4.3.

- I use the phlosophy "If in doubt, back it up! - better safe than sorry"

My advice on any upgrade is to "plan the steps ahead; make some notes with pen and paper; proceed carefully. If you get into trouble, back-out gracefully."

Let us know how it goes.
mopepom
jackroe

Post by jackroe »

Would like to use autosave to save mails from different senders to different folders.

Am assuming i need the rules file, ASre.txt (?)

Please could someone give an example of ASre content.

Thanks
gwood

Post by gwood »

Hello,
My .eml files have become very large and I am trying to export all of last year as individual files into a backup folder.
AutoSave works fine for this, but all the exported files have todays date. This is OK for recent files, but not those of last year.
Is there a fix for this issue?
Thanks Graeme Wood.
vela

Post by vela »

Hi,

Is wery good, but I cant set to work with autosave subdir

user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%yyyy\\%mm\\%dd\\%mm%dd%yyyy~%hr-%mn");
user_pref("autosave.debug", false);
user_pref("autosave.defaultExt", "eml");
user_pref("autosave.dir0", "E:\\arhiv\\tb");
user_pref("autosave.dir0en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir1", "none");
user_pref("autosave.dir1en", false);
user_pref("autosave.dir2", "none");
user_pref("autosave.dir2en", false);
user_pref("autosave.dir3", "none");
user_pref("autosave.dir3en", false);
user_pref("autosave.dir4", "none");
user_pref("autosave.dir4en", false);
user_pref("autosave.dir5", "none");
user_pref("autosave.dir5en", false);
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%dat-%sndr-%subj");
user_pref("autosave.filenamesUnique", true);
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_dir", "E:\\arhiv\\tb_out");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%dat-%recp-%subj");
user_pref("autosave.rulesfilepath", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Ovit\\Application Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\oixc98er.default\\ASre.txt");
user_pref("autosave.saveWhat", 3);

I hope that anyone can tell me what is wrong

Regrads, Vito
Ildar_aka_Casper

Post by Ildar_aka_Casper »

Hello ausdilecce,

Thank you for your wonderful extension! It's very useful! :)

Actually i use it only for one purpose: to adjust automatic deattaching of files in recieving mails. And i did it using 2 your extensions: AutoSave and AttachmentTools.
Well, it works, but i have few problems...
In case if i'll choose to delete all mails from mail server after receiving them - all mails with attachments automaticly move to Recycle Bin... Why so?
Here a part of my prefs.js:

user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%mm%dd%yyyy");
user_pref("autosave.debug", false);
user_pref("autosave.defaultExt", "eml");
user_pref("autosave.dir0", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir0en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir1", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir1en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir2", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir2en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir3", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir3en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir4", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir4en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir5", "C:\\1\\Incoming");
user_pref("autosave.dir5en", true);
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%subj");
user_pref("autosave.filenamesUnique", false);
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_dir", "C:\\1\\Outgoing");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%subj");
user_pref("autosave.rulesfilepath", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\IYusupov\\Application Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\ec9isu4r.default\\ASre.txt");
user_pref("autosave.saveWhat", 1);
user_pref("delattach.debug", false);
user_pref("delattach.detAttchHdrStr", "Attachment was detached on %d, details are: ");
user_pref("delattach.detachStr", "*detachd* %s");

And here is the content of my ASre.txt (only 2 strings):

to:
detachatts:C:\1\Incoming\

What's wrong? Perhaps i missed something? Could you help me to resolve this problem?
Thank you before hand! :)

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my first language! ;)