AutoSave ( for TB ) ver 0.0.96 is available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Colton7

Post by Colton7 »

Hello ausdilecce,

Thank you for your great TB extension.

Just for your information,

I installed AutoSave Extension (0.1.2) in Thunderbird 1.0.6 on WindowsXP and try to save existing messages (They were received before the installation of TB Auto Save Extension), but even TB says in message area "Export Messages completed, saved 2 file", there is no *. eml files in the selected folder.

In JavaScript console, I have these messages...

1. AutoSave - getPathToREfile started
2. AutoSave - saveMsgs, start, mode>all
3. AutoSave - saveMsgs, 1
4. AutoSave - saveMsgs, 2
5. AutoSave - saveMsgs, filename >C:\TEMP\Thanks.eml<
6. AutoSave - saveMsgs, file did not exist, filename >C:\TEMP\Thanks.eml<
7. AutoSave - saveMsgs, saving, filename >C:\TEMP\Thanks.eml<
8. AutoSave - saveMsgs, caught error >[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFileInputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://autosave/content/autosave.js :: anonymous :: line 536" data: no]<

=================================================================

Finally, I could solve my problem above...
AutoSave Extension did NOT work to export EML format file (Manual export) for the mails in GLOBAL FOLDER.
When I change the settings in TB [Account] - [Server settings] - [Advanced] - check the box " inbox for this server" instead of global folder, somehow I could export all existing mails to EML format at once without any problem...

Do you think it is a bug?
I have seen a topic (julien180:Posted: Jun Tue 28th 2005 2:47pm, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#1569425) and it says TB AutoSave didn't work on manual export to .eml file for existing mails.
I hope my topic can help to solve their problems too.

Colton
kasploosh

LEADING ZEROS

Post by kasploosh »

I love autosave!!! It was just what I needed, and just what Thunderbird was lacking. Thanks for doing this!

But I have one concern. I like to name my emails by the date, so they are all in chronological order. Autosave is not putting leading zeros on the hours, minutes, and seconds! All of my files are out of order! I really wish I could get leading zeros on those, as is standard on most clocks.

I notice that months and days automatically get leading zeros. I wonder if the lack of leading zeros on hours, minutes, and seconds is an oversight? Or am I doing something wrong?

Here are the applicable lines from my preference file:

user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%dat-%sndr-%subj");
user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%yyyy.%mm.%dd-%hr.%mn.%ss");

Is there something I can change easily to get leading zeros?

Okay, that's my only issue. Overall I think Autosave is really great. If I could just get this thing straightened out.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Lack of leading zeros on hours, mins and seconds was an oversight. Stay tuned for an update that addresses that..

Cheers
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Update to 0.1.3 is up on the site now

www.supportware.net/mozilla/AutoSave.xpi
kasploosh

Post by kasploosh »

YOU ROCK!!!!

I just installed the 1.0.3 and there are leading zeroes all over the place, hooray!

Now my life is complete! I'm so happy that you were available and willing to fix this, at the request of little old me. I'm amazed, really. I'm serious.

Thanks a trillion <--lots of zeroes! :c)
wouterzzzzz

not saving sent messages

Post by wouterzzzzz »

Hi ausdilecce,
Great extension you created! It is exactly what I'm looking for... But (of course, a but... :) ) I have a small problem: the messages I sent aren't saved at all. I cannot find out what is going wrong. Could it be because I'm using IMAP and my sent messages are copied to an IMAP folder instead of the usual local sent folder? The prefs.js are not changed a lot, just to change the name of the saved files:

user_pref("app.update.lastUpdateDate", 1130854758);
user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%yyyy%mm%dd");
user_pref("autosave.debug", false);
user_pref("autosave.defaultExt", "eml");
user_pref("autosave.dir0", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir0en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir1", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir1en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir2", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir2en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir3", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir3en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir4", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir4en", true);
user_pref("autosave.dir5", "E:\\backup email\\ontvangen");
user_pref("autosave.dir5en", true);
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%dat-%sndr - %subj");
user_pref("autosave.filenamesUnique", true);
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_dir", "E:\\backup email\\verzonden");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%dat-%subj");
user_pref("autosave.saveWhat", 3);

A second questionhas to do with IMAP: when a new message arrives it is saved perfectly. When I'm not at home, I use webmail to check my email. The messages I've read are marked as read of course, and the problem is that when I start Thunderbird again, these read messages are not automatically saved (probably because they aren't 'new'). Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks again for developing this great extension!
Old Ausdilecce

Re: not saving sent messages

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

wouterzzzzz wrote:Hi ausdilecce,
Great extension you created! It is exactly what I'm looking for... But (of course, a but... :) ) I have a small problem: the messages I sent aren't saved at all. I cannot find out what is going wrong. Could it be because I'm using IMAP and my sent messages are copied to an IMAP folder instead of the usual local sent folder?

Yes, that is exactly right.. In order for the sent messages to be saved, the copies of sent messages MUST be saved to the 'local folders' sent folder.

wouterzzzzz wrote:A second questionhas to do with IMAP: when a new message arrives it is saved perfectly. When I'm not at home, I use webmail to check my email. The messages I've read are marked as read of course, and the problem is that when I start Thunderbird again, these read messages are not automatically saved (probably because they aren't 'new'). Is there a way to get around this?

No, not really.. Unless you can use your webmail app to mark those messages as new again just after you read them...

If I change the extension to save messages that aren't 'new', then every time you copy a message from one folder to another, it will be autosaved... NOT ideal..
wouterzzzzz

Post by wouterzzzzz »

Thanx for the quick answer. Too bad there's not really anything I can do about my 'problems'. I understand that both issues are not easy to solve, especially the second one. Maybe I can make some changes to my webmail.

You wouldn't know I there's a way to let Thunderbird save outgoing mail in two folders? I really want to keep it in my IMAP sent items folder, but saving it onto the harddrive isn't a bad idea either of course :) Maybe I'll just look a bit further for options. Thanks again!
notsotechnical

Post by notsotechnical »

ausdillece,

I am having problems getting unique filenames. I have tried all sorts of permutations to solve the prolbem (using %hr-%mr-%ss stc. I don't care what the subject line reads, as long as I can save the email to a file.

This looks like a great extension and I appreciate your effort to release. I hate to ask for help but I don't knwo what else to do. Can you tell me what my issue is.

Thanks

=====================

user_pref("app.update.lastUpdateDate", 1131983806);
user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%hr%mn%ss%mm%dd");
user_pref("autosave.dir0", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir1", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir2", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir3", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir4", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir5", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%now - %hr.%mn.%ss");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_dir", "none");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%hr - %mn - %ss");
user_pref("autosave.rulesfilepath", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\M\\Application Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\cglfyx9q.default\\ASre.txt");

===========

I've tried just using the subject. I've tried various combinations of date time and nothing. Anytime I use a naming convention with %hr or any other time variable (with the exception of %now) I get literal strings in the filename (i.e. "%hr.eml"). Very strange behavior. I tried replacing all the \\ with \ and that didn't solve anything.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Notsotechnical,

You are getting strange behavior because you don't have the proper data in two prefs..

user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%now - %hr.%mn.%ss");
and
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%hr - %mn - %ss");

they *should* be
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%dat=%subj=%sndr");
and
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%subj=TO-%recp=%dat");

respectively
%dat is the email's date formated according to the user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%hr%mn%ss%mm%dd"); pref
%subj is the email's subject
%sndr is the email's author
%recp is the email's recipient

It's all explained in the very first post in this thread .. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1543829
notsotechnical

Post by notsotechnical »

ausdillece,

My apologies, I guess I didn't explain very well in my last post. I started with pretty standard settings. The only reason I went to the hr-mn-ss set up was to try to force unique file names. The root problem is that I am not getting unique file names even though I have that set to true. I just deleted my prefs.js file and started over. Here is what I currently have for preferences on this - it is still not giving unique file names. I get one file but not multiples if they would have the same name per the naming convention.

Just so you know what I am shooting for - I don't really care what the filenames are as long as they are unique.

One thing I did notice is that ASre.txt is not present. I looked for it as a hidden file in and I used search to look on my entire drive. Could that be causing this?

================
user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%mm%dd%yyyy");
user_pref("autosave.dir0", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir1", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir2", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir3", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir4", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.dir5", "C:\\emails");
user_pref("autosave.filename_style", "%dat=%subj=%sndr");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_dir", "none");
user_pref("autosave.outgoing_filename_style", "%subj");
user_pref("autosave.rulesfilepath", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\M\\Application Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\cglfyx9q.default\\ASre.txt");

================

Thanks,
NST
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

NST, try changing

user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%mm%dd%yyyy");

to

user_pref("autosave.date_style", "%mm%dd%yyyy (%hr.%mn.%ss %ampm)");

That should add a time component to the date part of the filename.. ( the date and time will come from the message's date/time - which is the date/time of the sender's machine at the date/time they sent it)
notsotechnical

Post by notsotechnical »

ausdilecce ,

Hi. I've had this on hold due to some other things bubbling up. You are right that this gives me unique file names but it is causing me problems in downline processing. What I really want is to be able to save emails coming in with the same subject line as:

subject.eml
subject-1.eml
subject-2.eml
subject-3.eml

etc.

When I try it this way I only get one new saved mail for every time Tb goes out and checks mail. So if I open the app and I have three incoming mails with a subject of 'test', I get only one mail saved on my drive as test.eml. Then if I get two new mails named test over the next few minutes, I get one new .eml file on my hard drive (test-1.eml) when Tb retrieves from the server again.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

NST
mopepom

Post by mopepom »

J have been testing this great extension. The functionality provided is superb.

C:\EML Outgoing\2005.12.22.05.31-TO=DOUG(Doug.XXXX@pwgsc.gc.ca)-SJ=Annual Greeting.eml

This is the path to a typical outgoing email. Note the Date, Time, To, Subject sequence.

If I use Explorer to view the folder, EML Outgoing, I can see at a glance what happened, when, and it is in readable "near English".

I have linked the .eml file extension to another e-mail client - Express Plus (out of Chaos Software). This program I use only to browse my eml files, although I can use full e-mail POP and SMTP capability, If I need it. Thus I have a secondary capacity to deal with my outgoiing e-mail. I keep my Thunderbird folders highly organized and thus I must avoid duplicated messages and dropped messages.

My incoming mail is copied using AutoSave and the typical incoming e-mail folder will look like:
C:\EML Incoming\2005.12.21.18.48-FR=John_Williams@aol.com-SJ=Its Snowbird Season Again!-to=Bill@mopepom.net-.eml

This is easy to read again and I can do my secondary processing using Express plus. The main copy of course has been accepted by Thunderbird, checked by an anti-virus program, B9, sorted by filters into an appropriate file, highlighted on my main Thunderbird screen and is awaitng my attention.

This is an extremely powerful way to build on the excelllent Thunderbird functionality.

There do seem to be some difficulties, with AutoSave occassionally and silently dupicating or dropping an eml file. Hopefully, this glitch will be corrected in time. In the meantime, since the eml files are really for secondary processing and I know that the originals are properly filed within Thunderbird, I am very very enthusiastic about ausdilecce's great work.

Thank you.
mopepom
ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
berni23

Post by berni23 »

Can i use this to save an email and restore it on another computer?

If so, how do i do it?