Saving Stylish script codes

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Ed1

Saving Stylish script codes

Post by Ed1 »

Is it possible to:

1. Go to the userstyles.org web site;
2. Find a Style that I desire;
3. Save that Style to my computer without installing into Firefox; and
4. Install that Style (or any other Style that I have saved) into Firefox later using the locally saved version(s) ?

In other words, is it possible to archive uninstalled Styles on my computer without necessarily installing them, and decide whether to install one or more of them later? (I am able to do this for FF extensions, of course.)

I realize that I could always copy and paste the code into a text editor and save that file, but I am wondering if it possible to save the code by just clicking a link or command right on the userstyles.org site without having to copy and paste.
rais

Re: Saving Stylish script codes

Post by rais »

all you have to do is uncheck (disable) any installed script that you do not need currently
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

rais, I know that.

But I am wondering if, before installing a script, it is possible to save the style scripts directly to my hard drive for possible installation (or not) later, without having to manually copy and paste the script into a word processing program or Notepad and then saving that file. This would be helpful so that I can decide at a different time whether I wish to install it. And also helpful for keeping backups. And also for keeping the option of reinstalling a style after deleting it if I change my mind.
4jax

Post by 4jax »

Ed1, not sure if you ever found a solution to this? For Ed1 and anyone else that comes across this page I will post the best answer I have found after a lot of searching.

Note to rais. 'A' for trying to help but your answer doesn't even sound like you read what Ed was trying to achieve?

After a lot of searching all I found was to make a copy of Stylish.sqlite that houses all the Stylish scripts. The only problem is it's ALL or nothing approach.

1. Install two addons. Stylish & Stylish Custom.
2. Install any styles you wish from userstyles.org.
3. Right click your Firefox menu bar and click custom, drag the Stylish-Custom icon with the drop down arrow to the menu bar and exit customize.
4. From your newly added Stylish-Custom icon on the menu bar click the down arrow on the right side or right click it and select 'Export Styles', here you can export all or any you chose to where you chose. You now have standalone stylish scripts for each one you exported.

The Stylish-Custom addon can also import your saved scripts as well as back them up, just install both addons to any PC.

I give full credit to SeanBoi Shaffer's blog where I found the solution. I only tweaked it a bit for FF v44x that worked for me.

Cheers.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks for posting this, 4jax.

I am trying to have a way to keep individual style scripts archived. It looks like what you posted would achieve what I was attempting to do. I will try it.