[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Aris »

Classic Theme Restorer - Discussion Thread (v2)
(The old thread had over 100 pages with now mostly outdated info)

Image Image
Image Image Image

CTR supports Firefox on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, Linux and macOS.
Firefox 29-44: CTR 1.5.3 (Why not just update to Firefox 52 ESR? :mrgreen:)
Firefox 45-56: CTR 1.5.4+
Firefox 57+: Because of XUL removal it is impossible to run CTR >> UI changing tweaks possible in userChrome.css

| Main | Release | Github | Firefox Quantum (57+) UI tweaks |

Collection of my legacy add-ons (previously on AMO): last reviewed versions (I removed all Firefox add-ons from AMO, because AMO lacks responsibility to keep add-ons review system clean. AMO allows troll parasites to anonymously post false reviews without properly moderating/removing them [like happened in the past].)

Download links and changelogs of 'release versions' are only visible after add-on review by an AMO editor.
Beta versions download links and changelogs are always visible.

Reporting issues/glitches on this thread
  • Run tests with latest CTR beta.
  • Disable all add-ons except CTR.
  • Test without CTR installed/enabled (ideally on a clean profile). Sometimes problems/bugs/glitches are not CTR related and caused by other add-ons or corrupted profiles.
  • Provide a bug description and screenshots showing the issue. Showing the environment (OS theme/visual style, OS dpi settings, Firefox theme, toolbar/button configuration etc.) problems occur in might help to reproduce issues faster.
  • Tinypic, Imgur or similar image hosts can be used to upload screenshots. Links to screenshots can be provided in your post. It is also possible to insert images into a post by using given BBCODE. Make sure image width does not extend 700px to not break this forums appearance.

How to find ids/classes of items/buttons/toolbars?
  1. Install DOM Inspector and Element Inspector add-ons.
  2. Hold keyboards SHIFT key and right-click on an ui element (item, button, toolbar, menu, menuitem etc.).
  3. A new window will show the selected element including its id, class(es) and other attributes.

Improving performance on very weak systems
Disabling these options on CTRs prefwindow might improve performance on some weak systems:
  • Tabs > Page 1 > non-default tab min/max-width settings
  • Location bar > Page 3 > Site Identity Buttons > Favicon
  • General UI > Page 3 > Activity Indicator
  • Options page/window > Remember last selected category

Portable Firefox
If you do not want to run tests on your current profile, setup a "Portable Firefox" and test it with latest CTR beta builds. This will give you a hint whether your current profile is working correctly or a new one is required.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

How to apply custom CSS code to override CTR code?
This thread contains css code snippets, tweaks and solutions, that only work on CTRs prefwindow or in a Stylish style and not within userChrome.css or userContent.css files.

Add custom CSS code to CTR prefwindows code box
  1. Open CTRs prefwindow
  2. Navigate to "Custom CSS code" category
  3. Add code to textbox
  4. Enable "Custom CSS code" option

Recurring questions/issues

Combined STOP-RELOAD button
Move stop and reload buttons from customizing area to a toolbar and order them like this:
[stop] followed by [reload]
Enable the combined option on CTRs preference window and you will get the combined stop/reload button.

Forecastfox
If Forecastfox items disappear or get hidden for no reason, try to delete "forecastfox.sqlite" inside Firefox profile folder. Forecastfox items will reappear inside CTRs status-bar item after restart. If nothing helps, remove Forecastfox and try Forecastfox (fix version).

Foxtab add-on usage warning
It is strongly recommended to remove Foxtab add-on (v1.0-1.4.11), which breaks Firefox ui in Firefox 29 and newer. Using Foxtab with CTR breaks the ui even more, because CTR allows the urlbar container (= location bar, back/foward buttons, stop/reload, etc.) to be movable resulting in Foxtab removing it from your toolbars. If the ui is corrupted, the add-ons manager has to be accessed via menubar (right-click on a toolbar -> select menubar, Tools -> add-ons) and CTR has to be disabled and Foxtab has to be uninstalled. After a Firefox restart CTR can be enabled again and will work properly. I tried to communicate with Foxtab devs about this problem, but they ignored all my emails.

Double click on tabs toolbar to open a new tab
Opening sites like google.com will not focus search input. Same happens when a new tab gets opened using "new tab" tab/button and is the intended Fiefox behavior.

Application button on [Firefox] titlebar
If the OS titlebar is active, there is no way to use the option "appbutton on [Firefox] titlebar".

Tab width / tab min-width
The lowest possible tab-width value without breaking tab ui or causing glitches is '48px'.

TabMixPlus/TabUtilities/ColorfulTabs etc.
Switch to "curved tabs (Australis default)" on CTRs preference window for other tab extensions to style tabs.
Disable custom tab background color settings inside CTR settings, if CTRs tabs are used or tabs could look weird!

Features not going to be added to CTR in future releases
  • discontinued/outdated add-ons: ask devs about updating their add-ons
  • tab groups, panorama or similar: there are add-ons out there to restore that
  • status text popup in add-on/status bar: use Status4Evar add-on or css code below*
  • automatically shrinkable add-on bar: use Puzzle Toolbars add-on
  • toolbar button styles: use Classic Toolbar Buttons add-on (Windows & Linux [experimental])
  • Firefox 4-28 splitmenus: issues with MacOSX, complete themes, menu events, icons...
  • vertical toolbars: use Puzzle Toolbars add-on or Vertical Toolbar add-on
  • vertical tabs or multi-row tabs: there already are add-ons out there to achieve that
  • colored tabs from ColorfulTabs add-on
  • tabs appearance Firefox 4-28 offered on MacOSX: CTR uses Windows tabs on MacOSX
  • Google Chrome tabs: use FXChrome (complete) theme

* 'Cheat' status text into CTRs add-on bar

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
statuspanel .statuspanel-label {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background: none !important;
  border: 0 !important;
  box-shadow: none !important;
  pointer-events: none!important;
  margin-bottom: -22px !important; /* may need adjustment in some cases */
  min-width: unset !important;
  width: 200px !important; /* status text width */
  max-width: 200px !important; /* status text width */
}
#ctraddon_addon-bar{
  -moz-padding-start: 200px !important;  /* add space for status text on add-on bar */
}
statuspanel{
  -moz-box-ordinal-group:3 !important;
}

Old blog
Last edited by Aris on August 3rd, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 604 times in total.
coyote2

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI) v2

Post by coyote2 »

coyote2 wrote:I didn't try the SM beta because so very many other things didn't work for me (by which I mean that everything disappeared from every toolbar [other than Bookmarks], and couldn't be added back because when I clicked Customize nothing at all happened) in 1.1.9beta21 so I went back to 1.1.8
Aris wrote:Once again: ALL ids of ALL CTR items changed. This means after installing CTR, CTR does a full reset of your toolbar configuration (options are still fine).

You HAVE to move ALL items again to their previous location using customizing mode.

As I mentioned I tried to do that, but "when I clicked Customize [in 1.1.9beta21] nothing at all happened" (i.e. more specifically, I got a blank, unusable screen instead of the Customize screen). So it was not possible to move items back, as the customize screen was blank (as I noted the toolbars also were blank).
PimpUigi

Post by PimpUigi »

I feel like I'm one of the few people using the 1-click weather add on instead of Forecast Fox. lol
Sooo good.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ckweather/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1641786 - Try Firefox PimpUigi Edition
Aris

Post by Aris »

coyote2 wrote:
coyote2 wrote:I didn't try the SM beta because so very many other things didn't work for me (by which I mean that everything disappeared from every toolbar [other than Bookmarks], and couldn't be added back because when I clicked Customize nothing at all happened) in 1.1.9beta21 so I went back to 1.1.8
Aris wrote:Once again: ALL ids of ALL CTR items changed. This means after installing CTR, CTR does a full reset of your toolbar configuration (options are still fine).

You HAVE to move ALL items again to their previous location using customizing mode.

As I mentioned I tried to do that, but "when I clicked Customize [in 1.1.9beta21] nothing at all happened" (i.e. more specifically, I got a blank, unusable screen instead of the Customize screen). So it was not possible to move items back, as the customize screen was blank (as I noted the toolbars also were blank).

OK, but no new CTR version will fix this. Only a new profile will help.

I don't know why this happens for you. I tested a couple of CTR versions 1.1.8 and 1.1.9betas cross platforms (installing 1.1.8 on top of 1.1.9 and vise versa), switching between Fx29, 30, 31 and 32, moving and removing stuff and all this always using the same profile and customizing mode always was fine.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

(Correct me if I am wrong on this.) The only other suggestion I might offer to coyote2 is to delete localstore.rdf to then basically reset the various toolbar and such to their default. After that, it might not be a bad idea to uninstall and reinstall any and all addons that may affect the browsers appearance.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
ersetzen

Post by ersetzen »

Firefox Aurora has added a search bar on the about:newtab page, making all short cuts smaller. Since there are already two search bars on the screen at all times I don't really see the point. Any chance to get a disable options since my search in about:config turned out unfruitful?

http://i.imgur.com/96OWm4X.png
coyote2

Post by coyote2 »

WildcatRay wrote:(Correct me if I am wrong on this.) The only other suggestion I might offer to coyote2 is to delete localstore.rdf to then basically reset the various toolbar and such to their default. After that, it might not be a bad idea to uninstall and reinstall any and all addons that may affect the browsers appearance.

Thank you to both Aris and WildcatRay!

An aside: I've never started with a new Profile (unless you count creating a clean Profile for testing), because I assumed (please correct me if I'm wrong) doing so would be roughly as much work as un/re-installing Firefox entirely (and be less likely to deliver a perfect result) and starting over?

I'd like to think that easier options like WildcatRay kindly suggested might do the trick for me, crossing my fingers, will report the results!
Novadestin

Post by Novadestin »

http://screencast.com/t/QHvoQ1StL0S

The first drop down under tabs is missing from my window. How do I change the tabs to square or whatever?? :?
Srap

Post by Srap »

Aris wrote:Tabs toolbar looks the same for me on your screenshot for tabs on top and not on top and has no opaque effects.

Excuse me, my mistake, I did not write it down properly :oops:
On lower sample of the picture, the navigation toolbar has some kind of affect (most visible on the right end around the ABP button *). That is what I would like to know, if it can be applied on the tab bar when tabs are on the bottom (upper sample). CTR updated to beta21, img re-linked for convenience.

* it isn't very noticeable with the mostly white lightweight theme, my mistake.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

coyote2 wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:(Correct me if I am wrong on this.) The only other suggestion I might offer to coyote2 is to delete localstore.rdf to then basically reset the various toolbar and such to their default. After that, it might not be a bad idea to uninstall and reinstall any and all addons that may affect the browsers appearance.

Thank you to both Aris and WildcatRay!

An aside: I've never started with a new Profile (unless you count creating a clean Profile for testing), because I assumed (please correct me if I'm wrong) doing so would be roughly as much work as un/re-installing Firefox entirely (and be less likely to deliver a perfect result) and starting over?

I'd like to think that easier options like WildcatRay kindly suggested might do the trick for me, crossing my fingers, will report the results!

Creating a new profile is not all that difficult. There are articles in the Mozillazine Knowledge Base (link on the right, 'knowledge base") that will instruct you on how to do it and to copy over the necessary files from your old one so that you do not lose things like your browsing history, bookmarks, downloads history, signon/logins & password, etc. (That is assuming you have not used Firefox Sync to "back up" that information.)
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Love this as a possibility to make Firefox 29 actually usable (don't get me started)...
but I have a question...

Have spent some time adjusting things and am most of the way "there," but I cannot find how to change the background color of the un-selected tabs. Help?

Also, is there any way to lighten the dark blue in the very top bar; the standard window menu (File...etc) is completely hidden in the dark blue--or change the text color of the menu. The font does not seem to be controlled by the WINDOWS settings through personalization; I set the blue bar text to white in there, but in Firefox it stayed black.

Thanks
Last edited by jcarerra on May 3rd, 2014, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GermanKiwi

Post by GermanKiwi »

Hi Aris, thanks for your reply to my previous post (found here) - I won't re-quote that post as it was quite long. But regarding your answers:

1) Yes, Status-4-Evar can already do that, but I'd much prefer to have this functionality provided by CTR, so that I don't have to install and use yet another extension just for this one feature - I'd rather keep the number of extensions I use to a minimum, and it's easier to have just one extension (CTR) for tweaking the layout and restoring the functionality of older versions of Firefox. To me, the idea of status text being on the add-on bar fits perfectly to the features and goal of CTR, so it makes sense to me that CTR includes this feature. In addition, if I also use Status-4-Evar, this results in me having both an Add-On Bar (from CTR) *as well as* a Status Bar (from S4E), which is confusing and overkill (of course I can disable either one, but they are both included there in the list of available toolbars). So for these reasons, would you consider adding the status text to the CTR Add-On Bar anyway, for those of us who don't want or need S4E?

2) Thanks!

3) Your CSS code works quite well, when I put it into Stylish. However, it doesn't work when I set "tabs not on top", which is my personal preference. What I'm looking to achieve (which is the layout I used before FF29) is this, going from top-to-bottom: Navigation Bar -> Menu Bar -> Tab Bar. I don't use the Bookmarks Toolbar or Additional Toolbar, but if I did, they would probably sit in-between the Menu Bar and Tab Bar. Can you kindly provide the CSS code to put the Menu Bar below Nav Bar, but also with the Tab Bar at the bottom?

I would definitely love to see this feature being added as an actual setting in CTR, rather than only using CSS code - I think that a setting in the CTR dialog would be easier and other users would also benefit from it - I think that a number of other users would enjoy being able to move the Menu Bar below the Nav Bar. I hope you might consider adding this, once it's tested!

BTW: shouldn't it be possible to paste this CSS code into my "userChrome.css" file? I've used the userChrome.css file to change other style settings in Firefox in the past, and it works well (eg. to change the borders or colours of the urlbar, or change menu fonts, etc). Why doesn't it also work for this?
Edellus

Post by Edellus »

Thank you for your response, Aris. At least I can stop trying now. But I have an other issue.

There's a white line below the title bar that I'd like to remove, because it doesn't match the theme when the website i'm visiting has a dark background. I don't think it is the nav-bar (I have everything in the title bar); I tried a code that Aris provided in the previous thread.

Here you can see the line: http://oi57.tinypic.com/o56ybs.jpg
sideburns

Post by sideburns »

I'm using Firefox on Fedora 19, and was just upgraded to version 29. I've installed Classic Theme Restorer and configured it but every time I restart Firefox, I have to customize the Status Bar again, re-adding ForecastFox. How can I get this to remember my settings and start doing what I want? I also have Firefox on my laptop, running Fedora 20, and I'd rather not have to fight the same battle twice, so I'm not even considering upgrading Firefox on my laptop until this issue is cleared up.
Novadestin

Post by Novadestin »

Novadestin wrote:http://screencast.com/t/QHvoQ1StL0S

The first drop down under tabs is missing from my window. How do I change the tabs to square or whatever?? :?

Took a little bit, but I figured it out. My theme (FT DeepDark 10 by steva), for some strange reason, is blocking that specific drop down field from showing and from working... no idea why, but it is. The field shows and works just fine with the theme turned off, but stops working and disappears when the theme is turned back on. Pretty annoying since that's like the one thing I really wanted to change with 29 ](*,) :P

Edit: Also, to go along with the post above about restarting and having to fix the addons on toolbars, whenever I restart, a button for Theme Font & Size Changer 7.8 by Baris Derin appears next to my search and I have to remove it every time. Related to that, FoxClocks 3.4.14 by Andy McDonald is a toolbar I have added, however, when I restart it does not appear nor does it show when I right click and view the toolbars I can turn off and on. When I customize to remove the Theme Font & Size Changer button though, it reappears but still doesn't show up in the list. These two things happen whether I have my theme turned on or not.