[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
FineWine

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by FineWine »

max2 wrote:Why not Cyberfox ?
It appears Cyberfox does not run on macOS.
Aris

Post by Aris »

FineWine wrote:...
Perhaps Aris would like to devote his time, be it all limited, to the alternative FF browser "Palemoon" and Forum. I am sure they would appreciate his extensive knowledge base input.
Palemoon is the browser I will eventually switch to so I do not loose my present browser customisations.
I have not thought about this much yet.
max2 wrote:...

Why not Cyberfox ?
Palemoon goes its own way for a while now while Cyberfox is still based on Firefox release builds (CyberCTR is based on CTR).
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Bug report:
On latest Mozilla Firefox Nightly 54.0a1 (2017-02-23) + Classic Theme Restorer 1.6.3beta1 + with "Hide 'i'-icon (of possible)"
I can't open info bar on HTTPS websites, on HTTP it works fine.

It's probably caused by one of these bugs:
Bug 1341047 - Stop setting background-color: transparent and border: none on .button-menu-dropmarker and .button-menubutton-dropmarker
Bug 1341036 - Remove fallback styling from dropmarker.css on macOS
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Soothsayer

Post by Soothsayer »

I think I may have found a new compatibility issue with the last few nightlies.

The drop down for the urlbar (a.k.a. location bar) is no longer functioning correctly if the 'Alternative appearance (classic)' view is selected and 'Hide page title' is not selected.

In this configuration, the drop down shows only two blank entries instead of the correct list.
rebop

Post by rebop »

max2 wrote:...

Why not Cyberfox ?
Palemoon goes its own way for a while now while Cyberfox is still based on Firefox release builds (CyberCTR is based on CTR).[/quote]

I am so glad I found this thread as Firefox without CTR will not be a pleasant choice for me and I had no idea this was going to change. And I rely on many other add ins as well on a daily basis.

I tried Palemoon last night and it already does not support a number of add ins and was terribly unstable for me. Would this also be the case with Waterfox? Will anything still support CTR properly?

Seems it is now time to be planning ahead.

Thanks.

~Bob
Aris

Post by Aris »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Bug report:
On latest Mozilla Firefox Nightly 54.0a1 (2017-02-23) + Classic Theme Restorer 1.6.3beta1 + with "Hide 'i'-icon (of possible)"

Bug 1341047 - Stop setting background-color: transparent and border: none on .button-menu-dropmarker and .button-menubutton-dropmarker
Soothsayer wrote:I think I may have found a new compatibility issue with the last few nightlies.

The drop down for the urlbar (a.k.a. location bar) is no longer functioning correctly if the 'Alternative appearance (classic)' view is selected and 'Hide page title' is not selected.

In this configuration, the drop down shows only two blank entries instead of the correct list.
Will be fixed on 1.6.3beta2.

rebop wrote:...

I am so glad I found this thread as Firefox without CTR will not be a pleasant choice for me and I had no idea this was going to change. And I rely on many other add ins as well on a daily basis.

I tried Palemoon last night and it already does not support a number of add ins and was terribly unstable for me. Would this also be the case with Waterfox? Will anything still support CTR properly?

Seems it is now time to be planning ahead.

Thanks.

~Bob
I don't know which way Firefox forks will go, but asking about the future of legacy add-ons on their support channels might offer clarity.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Bug report:

Will be fixed on 1.6.3beta2.
Thank you very much! =D>
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
rebop

Post by rebop »

Aris wrote: I don't know which way Firefox forks will go, but asking about the future of legacy add-ons on their support channels might offer clarity.
Great idea, of course. Unfortunately answers not looking good:

"With Cyberfox 52.0 all browser plugins are set to disabled by default and we are keeping the user controlled plugins for now, if i had my way id remove
all browser plugin support now for the following reasons:

Java < self explanatory large security risk.
Microsoft Silverlight is a deprecated application framework. Succeeded by HTML5
Flash player < Blight on the internet and should have died many years ago large security risk being phased out from the internet. Succeeded by HTML5
The list of reasons goes on...

Will Cyberfox keep plugins support after they are removed from Firefox no, Cyberfox will likely remove it at the earliest possible time."

Have not yet heard back from Waterfox, but I suspect similar. And the last thing I want to do is start looking for a new browser that works for me. Very disturbing....

~Bob
rebop

Post by rebop »

BTW. I have 48 add-ons. Several seem to be hidden by Mozilla folks such as Pocket? and Multi-process staged rollout??. Some I could live without, some not. Happy to post a list if there is any interest.

~Bob
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

rebop wrote:BTW. I have 48 add-ons. Several seem to be hidden by Mozilla folks such as Pocket? and Multi-process staged rollout??. Some I could live without, some not. Happy to post a list if there is any interest.

~Bob
Those add-ons are called "system add-ons." They are ways for the developers to add features to the browser without having to do do an update to the browser. Even though many of them do not address web browsing per se, the developers do not think we users should have the ability to uninstall and not be bothered by them, again. We just have to live with them.

CTR does provide a convenient user interface to turn some of them off thanks to Aris' efforts.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

WildcatRay wrote:
rebop wrote:BTW. I have 48 add-ons. Several seem to be hidden by Mozilla folks such as Pocket? and Multi-process staged rollout??. Some I could live without, some not. Happy to post a list if there is any interest.

~Bob
Those add-ons are called "system add-ons." They are ways for the developers to add features to the browser without having to do do an update to the browser. Even though many of them do not address web browsing per se, the developers do not think we users should have the ability to uninstall and not be bothered by them, again. We just have to live with them.

CTR does provide a convenient user interface to turn some of them off thanks to Aris' efforts.
CCleaner has under Tools|Browser Plugins|Firefox a nice way to disable add-ons even the ones you can't see within Fx.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
rebop

Post by rebop »

That's very interesting. Thanks for the tip!
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:Will be fixed on 1.6.3beta2.
This is what actually did the breaking to me today. I noticed breakage on nightly a some days ago. So I disabled updates and stayed on the 2017-02-16 build.
Reverting to 1.6.2.1 fixed the issue.

(By the way. Is AMO seprataing beta versions into a different section some new thing? I've been looking for them on the plain versions page and thought they were removed)
Aris

Post by Aris »

CTRs fixes or changes for Nightly builds are always made for the most up-to-date Nightly build available by that time.

Beta versions now use a sub area of versions:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classi ... /versions/
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classi ... ions/beta/
Kyogre

Post by Kyogre »

Aris,
Can you check that middle button click on search arrow doesn't opens tab in background in Firefox 51 (and later)?
In Firefox 50 (and previous) if I middle-clicked on arrow button of search bar it opened result in background tab, but in FF51 it always opens search tab in foreground tab. It doesn't matters am I using CTR or not, it doesn't matters what options I use in CTR in search bar settings, it doesn't matters old or new search mode. Can you make a fix for that?