[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
max2

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by max2 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:BTW Classic Theme Restorer is compatible with e10s.
Yeah but what about web extensions ?

I always get those two confused. Could you tell me the difference please?
?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Multi-process mode is also called e10s (electrolysis) and means your browser runs in multiple processes (e.g. task manager > multiple firefox.exe processes).

"Web extensions" is a different kind of add-on environment. They are not based on XUL anymore like legacy add-ons (e.g. CTR).
max2

Post by max2 »

Aris wrote:Multi-process mode is also called e10s (electrolysis) and means your browser runs in multiple processes (e.g. task manager > multiple firefox.exe processes).

"Web extensions" is a different kind of add-on environment. They are not based on XUL anymore like legacy add-ons (e.g. CTR).
Thanks Aris!

To bad Firefox can't keep XUL addons that are multi-process!
Aris

Post by Aris »

Multi-process (e10s) has nothing to do with the add-on environment. WebExtensions and legacy add-ons are both e10s capable. Some legacy add-ons required minor (or major) changes to support e10s properly, while WebExtensions correctly support e10s automatically.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... ss_Firefox
https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions/FAQ

The upcoming drop of legacy add-ons has nothing to do with browsers multi-process architecture. While it of course benefits of it, it was not the main reason according to Mozilla.
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Aris wrote:The upcoming drop of legacy add-ons has nothing to do with browsers multi-process architecture. While it of course benefits of it, it was not the main reason according to Mozilla.
A little bit. Quite a few add-ons (although not really any big ones) didn't get the necessary code changes. This has kept Mozilla from enabling e10s on the release channel for all users by default. What I don't get, is that they just as well can disable all add-ons that aren't MPC=true (like they did on Nightly recently), and let the good/motivated add-on developers keep on developing their add-ons as they have always done. This might (probably will) cause an outcry because users have their add-ons seemingly randomly disabled, but what they are doing now is *a lot* worse.
avada

Post by avada »

Looks like a new throbber is comming. Doubt that many will like it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1352119
By the way. If they push a new CSS throbber will overriding it with old apng ones will be supported? (Last time they did it I didn't look into it, but I saw a green CSS throbber instead of the green APNG I used to have)
Aris

Post by Aris »

Maybe, if there will be a way in Fx57+ to apply css style sheets for the browser ui.
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:Maybe, if there will be a way in Fx57+ to apply css style sheets for the browser ui.
I expect this will land before. (55-56) I don't plan to update to 57+ for a long while anyway. (Unless some good alternative build retains xul addons)

Though, who knows... They might just revoke it again for performance impact.
Aris

Post by Aris »

The "demo video" showed Photon ui so I assumed this change is meant for Fx57+ builds. If it will land on Fx 55-56 it sure can be replaced somehow.

What is your plan, stay on Fx 56 or go back to Fx 52 ESR once Fx 57 arrives?
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:The "demo video" showed Photon ui so I assumed this change is meant for Fx57+ builds. If it will land on Fx 55-56 it sure can be replaced somehow.

What is your plan, stay on Fx 56 or go back to Fx 52 ESR once Fx 57 arrives?
Ah, okay. Didn't pay attention to that.
I'll just stick with 56, recently there were some enhancements to multi process mode. (I really hope they'll make the new bookmark favicon storage less crappy and unreliable by then.)
Probably I'll use the pcxfirefox build, which is much the same as the official one, but I don't have to break the updater to avoid unpleasant surprises and I can use unsigned addons and arbitrary plugins if I choose so.
msia2k

Post by msia2k »

It seems the back button can't be displayed properly when you select the "small button on navigation toolbar" option in the General UI. This happens in the latest Nightly.

avada

Post by avada »

msia2k wrote:It seems the back button can't be displayed properly when you select the "small button on navigation toolbar" option in the General UI. This happens in the latest Nightly.

I've been seeing buttons becoming blank then becoming normal again in the past days. (download button, closed tabs button)
Aris

Post by Aris »

The back button issue will be fixed on next update. Enable movable back/forward buttons for now when using small button mode and Fx55.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Hi Aris, on today's nightly build (it may have been there for a while), there's a refresh button to the left of the location bar that can't be removed without taking off the location bar as well. I looked at the options but might have missed a fix for that. The option to hide the stop & reload button is checked. Is there anything that can be done?

Also, the option to replace the generic favicons in General UI page 5 isn't working. For some reason in these latest builds there's an annoying delay in the bookmark icons showing when you go to bookmarks inside folders. I see they have a new file "favicons.sqlite", which probably has something to do with the performance decline. I want to have a blank icon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Next CTR beta will handle stop and reload buttons and the "action" button area.

Favicon issue: previously only checking icons/images "scr" node was required. It was only available, if the site offered an icon.
Checking for something like ".bookmark-item:not(src)" would easily tell you no icon is present.
Now that "scr" node is always available and points to websites url. If the icon is available, icon gets stored (probably in favicons.sqlite), but if it is missing that node is still there and points to the website. This makes it impossible to detect whether there is an favicon or not.