[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Aris »

Can you disable the option "Remove 'Search with...' and 'Visit' items" and show me a screenshot of the results when the problem occurs? The previously invisible item should be visible in that case.

If possible, try on a new profile, where nothing is yet present in browsers history. That way you could provide me step by step how to reproduce this, because I could not yet reproduce the issue on my systems.

Getting results like in this example will still make it possible to navigate between both results via keyboards tab, up and down keys even if "Remove 'Search with...' and 'Visit' items" is enabled.

CTRs option only hides those results visually.
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Disabled:

Enabled:

When I press tab (note the icon change):

To reproduce it in a clean profile, it appears you need to trick the awesome bar into showing the "Search with..." result as second. I could do this by using Nightly and making sure I had "Show search engines (browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches)" enabled (this is default). Sadly, I could not fix it by disabling this setting in my current profile. I guess the algorithm that picks the suggestions can get annoying there.

I think you already found out (going from your screenshot), but also setting browser.urlbar.autoFill to false is vital to reproduce this.

[edit] As you said, it is still possible to go to these results with keyboard or tab, even though they are hidden. That is the exact problem, so I think you were able to reproduce it. This is counter-intuitive, I would like arrows and tab to skip them too. [/edit]
Aris

Post by Aris »

You are right this is counter-intuitive, but I have not found a way to skip those (hidden) items when using keyboard navigation yet. Removing them internally breaks the whole popup, so CTR only hides them.
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Okay. Thanks for your time for looking into this. I hope you can find a solution :)
avada

Post by avada »

Is the new tab text fadeout (instead of the old "...") not compatible with CTR?
So far I don't see the text fading out. Though it can be something else.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@avada
The new option to remove it is on by default.

avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:@avada
The new option to remove it is on by default.

http://i.imgur.com/jgQdIqV.jpg
I see. It seems like it causes some serious issues. Such as cutting of tab text after 1-2 words and leaving huge empty spaces.

Aris

Post by Aris »

Yes, after Mozilla moved the tab label into a flexible horizontal box without cutting the tab text, you have two options, either use the default fadeout text effect or always cut down the last word (the one, that can not be fully displayed).

There are ways to partly restore the "..." in some cases, but changing tab size in overflow mode for example will hide them again.
Once I find a proper way to solve this in css without rebinding tabs or tabs toolbar, I will add it to CTR.
avada

Post by avada »

I guess I just don't understand the rationale in your policy of restoring stuff before the user could decide that he wants to restore it, especially when the restoration is partially broken.
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

Aris wrote:Post a link to a full screenshot of your navigation toolbar and post names of add-on buttons, that get hidden.
i.e cookie monster, password field, xnotifier, nimbus, thumbnail zoom plus. One of the things these addons have in common; when installed, they automatically add the button to the right side of the toolbar. With some of them (xnotifier and nimbus and cookie monster in particular) you have to go hunting for the buttons after installation either by restarting the browser, and/or removing other buttons to free up space. As I said before, if that doesnt work, you must disable/re-enable CTR.

Once you have all the button in place, after that if you want to move things around its not so bad. Its worse when you are installing addons, especially several (as in my case when building a new profile), after which you have no choice but to disable CTR to get things done.

View with "customize" tab open

Normal view

As you can see, the problem is while you can see the buttons in normal view (sometimes), you cant move them because they are not accessible in customize view.
Aris wrote:This "glitch" did occur more often with small button view than with default button view. Are you using "small button view"?
Doesn't matter
Aris wrote:There are no toolbar button related changes on navigation toolbar in 1.6.0 betas. Can you verify this does not happen on CTR 1.5.9?
No evidence of this in CTR 1.5.9
Aris

Post by Aris »

avada wrote:I guess I just don't understand the rationale in your policy of restoring stuff before the user could decide that he wants to restore it, especially when the restoration is partially broken.
I hope you noticed we are talking about a CTR beta option for Nightly (Fx53) and not current Fx release version.
And where does it say that option restores something? As labeled it removes the "overflow effect" (under all costs, a word that is affected by this effect is not visible anymore). Have you thought about me enabling this option on purpose for Nightly users to get some feedback?
kltpzyxmrm wrote:...
i.e cookie monster, password field, xnotifier, nimbus, thumbnail zoom plus. One of the things these addons have in common; when installed, they automatically add the button to the right side of the toolbar. With some of them (xnotifier and nimbus and cookie monster in particular) you have to go hunting for the buttons after installation either by restarting the browser, and/or removing other buttons to free up space. As I said before, if that doesnt work, you must disable/re-enable CTR.

Once you have all the button in place, after that if you want to move things around its not so bad. Its worse when you are installing addons, especially several (as in my case when building a new profile), after which you have no choice but to disable CTR to get things done.

View with "customize" tab open
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4574 ... fm_png.htm

Normal view
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4574 ... yy_png.htm

As you can see, the problem is while you can see the buttons in normal view (sometimes), you cant move them because they are not accessible in customize view.

Doesn't matter

No evidence of this in CTR 1.5.9
I can not reproduce this. Tested on a current overloaded test profile and on a new empty profile with only those add-ons installed you mentioned.

Have you tried to hit "reset" button in customizing mode and rearrange everything again after all add-ons are installed?

If this is not too much work, could you setup "Portable Firefox", install the mentioned add-ons until this issue occurs, zip/rar/7zip the PF archive, upload it to Dropbox or Zippyshare (please nothing, that requires registration for downloads) and send me the links using a private message?
Make sure there are no logins or any other personal information stored in your Portable Firefox setup.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Aris wrote:From what I saw on Bugzilla the issue with blurry fonts only occurs on Windows Vista/7 with AeroGlass, right? Since most Mozilla developers are on Linux or macOS, only a minority develops on Windows and they most likely already installed Win10. ;-)
Yes, but I thing all Windows systems are affected too, started from Vista,
and on Windows 10 you maybe won't see that much difference, as it already has many issues with fonts rendering - https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Windows+10+font+rendering
Classic Theme Restorer 1.6.0beta6
[new option(s)]
- Fx53+: Tabs > P1 > Remove overflow effect from long tab titles
Thank you very much Aris for integrating this into Classic Theme Restorer! =D>
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
PzKpfw_Schadenfreude

Post by PzKpfw_Schadenfreude »

Experiencing an odd issue with the latest version of CTR, when I type in certain words into the url bar to go to pages (ex Amazon), it shows the results for about a half second then they disappear, if I reset ctr to default settings, everything works as expected, so I think it's some sort of settings issue, anyone have any ideas? I'll try and grab some screenshots and edit my post after.
Ok, got some more info...
when I start typing in my URLbar, say 'amaz' (to get to amazon), the results show for about a second, then they all disappear, but if I type say 'amazon.com', they show up as normal, this only happens if I have 'remove 'search with...' and 'visit'' checked in locationbar>autocomplete popup. This has happened since at least beta10, perhaps beta9. Unchecking the setting fixes the issue.

Any ideas?
Last edited by PzKpfw_Schadenfreude on December 20th, 2016, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogo

Post by Bogo »

THANK YOU, Aris, for the wonderful Addon!!!
Since 1.6.0beta9 I have this problem with CTR: After installing, I start Firefox anew – and immediately FF permanently "starts navigation"!
Although there is an empty page (new tab – Neuer Tab).
I hear that, because "navigational Sounds" is installed.
And I see it (I have installed Status-4-Evar).
After I have opened min. 1 Website, the phenomenon stops.
The same with Version 1.6.0
I have to go back to 1.6.0beta8!!!!
Could you please look into that? Thank you
Aris

Post by Aris »

@PzKpfw_Schadenfreud
I will look into it.

EDIT
Is the issue fixed in 1.6.0.1beta1?
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classi ... 6.0.1beta1

@Bogo
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. You can write me a PM in German (-> Neuer Tab ;-)).

Anyway, are you using any of these options?
Tabs > Page 2 > New tab page
(Tabs > Seite 2 > Seite 'Neuer Tab')

Try to disable them.

EDIT
Is the issue fixed in 1.6.0.1beta1?
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classi ... 6.0.1beta1