[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Aris »

You have to do some tweaks to get closer to the above ui.

- add color to the menubar, if you are using "tabs not on top": CTR > Toolbars > page 4 > Menubar
- do not remove navigation toolbars background color. How did you remove it? GMF, CTR or a custom style? Reverse that tweak/option.
- add a different close icon to tabs and make 'close icon' always visible: CTR > Tabs > page 3 > Tab close
- add colors to identity box: CTR > Location bar > page 2 > site identity button
- (*) use active tab background color on toolbars & add custom tab colors: CTR > Tabs > Tab colors & text
- install the add-on "Classic Toolbar Buttons", deselect the nav-bar button style, select "Firefox 3" main icon style, select "Firefox 3" style for "back and forward" buttons

(*)
Santa_Fe

Post by Santa_Fe »

Milosz006 wrote:Hello! Love the addon but I need some help, mainly is it possible to change increase the size of the back/forward/home buttons? Also I'd like to change the color of the menu bar, naviagtion bar, etc. Here's a screencap of my old and current FF:

Have you tried this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cstbb/? It allows you to pick different back/forward buttons at least, as well as other options as well.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Feature request - Option to undo Bug 658467 - Fade out tab label on overflow instead of ellipsis
as this caused Bug 1322897 - Awful blurry fonts in text in long tab titles after landing patch from bug #658467
and it will be only fixed partially, as blurry grayscale font antialiasing method is intended... ](*,)
source: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=658467#c59
Tested on Windows 10, macOS 10.12 and Ubuntu. Looks good to me. The loss of sub-pixel AA on some platforms is sad, but otherwise the weight and rendering looks good. Probably worth the trade-off for the 2-3 extra visible characters.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@Virtual_ManPL
They did some 'rebinding' stuff to tab content. If I try to reverse that, CTR will lose compatibility to all tab add-ons, that also modify/rebind tab content. I have to use css only tweaks for now.

Atm I only have a temporal solution, that removes the blur. It does not restore the "..." clipping/overriding of last 1-3 letters of tab text, it just removes the last word. Previous css tweaks to solve such issues do not apply to new flexible label box and shortening tab text with a fixed width value is not a good solution either.

Code: Select all

.tab-label-container[textoverflow]:not([pinned]) {
  mask-image: unset !important;
}
.tab-label-container[textoverflow]:not([pinned])::after{
  content: "" !important;
}
.tab-label-container[textoverflow]:not([pinned]) .tab-text {
  white-space: unset !important;
}

Fx51
Fx53 (with the above code)

Fx53 (without the above code)
- we got blurry fonts and one half of a letter
- we lost clean fonts and "..."
-> This was a very bad trade and what was it for? Just one useles step closer to Chrome!
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Aris - Thank you very much! =D>
Don't worry, it doesn't need to be identical copy, especially when we will be loosing other Classic Theme Restorer or Firefox features,
and your workaround works fine, as it's removes this awful blurry fonts in long tab titles.

Looks like Mozilla developers have other priorities... and fonts focus, clearness and sharpness aren't... ](*,)
...and probably in 2018 will be massive migration as probably 99,9% extensions won't be working anymore... ](*,)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Aris, do You have idea how to center text position on new Nightly, old css is not working anymore... Thanks in advance.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ Aris - Thank you very much! =D>
Don't worry, it doesn't need to be identical copy, especially when we will be loosing other Classic Theme Restorer or Firefox features,
and your workaround works fine, as it's removes this awful blurry fonts in long tab titles.

Looks like Mozilla developers have other priorities... and fonts focus, clearness and sharpness aren't... ](*,)
...and probably in 2018 will be massive migration as probably 99,9% extensions won't be working anymore... ](*,)
From what I saw on Bugzilla the issue with blurry fonts only occurs on Windows Vista/7 with AeroGlass, right? Since most Mozilla developers are on Linux or macOS, only a minority develops on Windows and they most likely already installed Win10. ;-)
Who knows how long they plan to support Windows 7.
Xetmes wrote:Aris, do You have idea how to center text position on new Nightly, old css is not working anymore... Thanks in advance.
Is this about tab text?
I'm not sure if this is possible using css in Fx53+. They moved the label into a flexible hbox and (text) align rules do not apply there.

This should work in Fx53+.

Code: Select all

.tab-label {
  -moz-box-flex: 1 !important;
  text-align: center !important;
}
Last edited by Aris on December 15th, 2016, 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Microsoft plans on providing "extended" support for Windows 7 until 2020.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010820/ ... ows-7.html
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Aris wrote:
Is this about tab text?
Yeah, damn, are they so, hmm .... put here right word, they just kill Firefox.
z00

Post by z00 »

Today, I tried unchecking the option "Use Firefox titlebar instead of OS titlebar" (at the top of the "Firefox Button" page), and it gave me what I wanted. However, previously in private browsing mode, the Firefox button had turned purple, and additionally, a purple mask had appeared in the upper right corner of the browser. When I use the OS titlebar, there is no Firefox button (and none of the options make one appear that works with private browsing), and the mask does not appear. As a result, there are no visual cues that private browsing is enabled. My guess is that the mask is hidden under the OS titlebar. It would be great if some visual cue that private browsing is enabled could be retained when the OS titlebar is in use.

On a related issue, I noticed that with the OS titlebar in use, entering Private Browsing mode reduces the spaces for tabs in the tab row(s). I typically have room for 12 tabs here, but in this situation I only have room for 11, as Firefox seems to want to keep some empty space open at the right. This does not happen if the OS titlebar is not in use.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@z00
The OS titlebar can not be modified. There is no way to add any indicators, masks or buttons to it.
The Firefox button turns purple like on Firefox 29 and older. This is indented.

Firefox titlebar shares room with caption buttons (min,max,close) or its placeholders and some other stuff like the purple mask, that appears on tabs toolbar, if OS titlebar is active. Tabs should shrink automatically unless you set fixed width values in CTR or another tab related add-on.
z00

Post by z00 »

Thanks for your reply, Aris. What you say makes sense. And indeed, my tabs aren't shrinking because I have a minimum width set for them.

It seems that the easiest way around my problems is just to use the CTR toolbar icon while in private browsing mode to turn off the OS titlebar. Most importantly, this gives me all my tab space back. And secondarily, it brings back the private browsing reminders.

BTW, I love the add-on. I definitely think that it's one of the most important ones that exist for Firefox. It makes using the browser so much easier for me.
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

Hi Aris,

CTR 1.6.0 beta 8, Firefox Firefox Setup 50.1.0 x64 & 51.0b8, Win 10 pro

I use a combination of default and custom buttons on my toolbars.

When CTR is enabled, it "shoves" buttons off the right side of the Navigation toolbar.

Im not sure but It seems to affect certain buttons more than others. In some cases you can temporarily move some of the visible buttons off and certain hidden ones will appear, at which time you can move them to the menu toolbar.

For the other icons that are hidden, you need to disable CTR, do the moving, and re-enable CTR.

I think this started happening sometime after CTR 1.6.0 beta 3

I created fresh profiles to test it, but the problem is that you have to have stuff installed get the effect.

thanks
Aris

Post by Aris »

Post a link to a full screenshot of your navigation toolbar and post names of add-on buttons, that get hidden.
Sometimes -so other users have reported in the past- it helps to add a blank space item as the last item on navigation toolbar.

This "glitch" did occur more often with small button view than with default button view. Are you using "small button view"?

There are no toolbar button related changes on navigation toolbar in 1.6.0 betas. Can you verify this does not happen on CTR 1.5.9?
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Hi Aris, I have a small issue with CTR.

I want to *completely* disable any sort of search suggestions in the location bar. For that, I have set "Remove 'Search with...' and 'Visit' items". However, in one edge case, this does not fully work.

In the (admittedly, rather rare) event where what I typed looks like a URL (i.e. "forums.mo"), pressing tab does *not* go to the first (non-search) result, but to an invisible search suggestion, and I need a second tab press to go the the actual first visible result. This kinda conflicts with my muscle memory, as I usually press tab+enter immediately after each other. Could this possibly be resolved?

I'm running CTR 1.6.0beta8 on Nightly.

Thanks in advance!