[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
anon42

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Customize UI) #2

Post by anon42 »

1.2.9.5beta1
[change] alternative address input uses default key combo: ALT+D (en-us), ALT+S (de) etc.

Just tried this on my Mac. I believe the "alt" key is the control key on a Mac. And a control-d on a Mac is the delta character ('∂') and that is what I see in my existing location/url bar when I use that key combination there. Is this a bug or am I missing something here and why would you want two location bars anyhow (unless there's a difference between what you are calling "location bar" and what I am calling "url bar")?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Aris

Post by Aris »

I missed that MacOSX only offers one key combination to focus urlbar/location bar/address bar: Command + L (en us).

One more inconsistency between Fx for Windows/Linux and Fx for MacOSX.
Windows/Linux (en us): ALT + D and Ctrl + L
MacOSX (en us): Command + L

The build also offers support for Command + L on MacOSX (tested with us version of Fx):

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rakam3e6hb6iu8b/CTR_v1.2.9.5v2.xpi?dl=0

Keys may vary with different locales.

Using that option will allow you to see two urlbars, but only the "new one" gets focus using the key combination.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Pardon my ignorance but why do we need two url/location bars?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Aris

Post by Aris »

Up to Fx28 users could (re)move the urlbar, so it could end up in an invisible area. Pressing ALT+D (en-us Fx) in such a case opened a new window where users could input an address. CTR won't restore the "old" window, instead a new "bar" shows up and gets hidden after address input.
The main target of this feature are users who hide urlbar, but those who don't get optionally two urlbars. ;-)
anon42

Post by anon42 »

I still don't get it, at least for a Mac. I'm seeing cmd-L moving the focus to the url bar whether the CTR option is set or not. Not that I ever would want two url bars but if that option works for windows maybe you just suppress it or disable it for Macs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Aris

Post by Aris »

If the option is active, Cmd+L triggers that bar for me on MacOSX 10.9+ (tested on Fx with us locale).
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Can I add Title Text to Title Bar (like the one in Pale Moon) with CTR?
I am the bone of my firefox.Source is my body,and library is my blood.I've created over a thousand of builds.Unaware of notice.Nor aware of warning.With stood pain to create binaries.Waiting for one's download.I have no regrets.This is the only path.My whole life was "Unlimited build works"
WindHeight

Post by WindHeight »

First let me thank you for the wonderful addon! I would have etiher still be using an older firefox version, or spending weeks or months getting the right user chrome settings to get things working properly again.

Some questions, or perhaps bugs to report. These seem to be problems with compatibility with Tab Mix Plus.

When using TMP 0.4.1.6 (the current release version) and CTR with square tabs, and with tabs placed on the bottom (of the window itself), there are some visual errors in how tabs are displayed. I only tried to with square tabs (default) because the other types (like australized square tabs) were unappealing to me. Each lead to some graphical errors:

(I am using CTR's build-in method for highlighting the selected tab.)

All of these screenshots are at 800% resolution, taken from photoshop:

Here is what it looks like in firefox pre 28 (how it should preferably look):
http://postimg.org/image/58gmb5dp1/

The key point is that the highlighting color does not bleed over the addon/status bar, the tab has a defined lower border, and the tabs side borders touch both its bottom border. The bottom border of the tab also "blends" with the highlighting color of the tab.

Here it is with the default tabs on top setting in CTR:
http://postimg.org/image/6ifjqx7f7/

The highlighting bleeds over the the bottom of the tab into the addon/status bar, there is no defined lower border. The tab deck (or whatever ui mechanism it is that contains tabs, I will just call it the tab deck here) is 1 pixel higher than it is elsewhere.

Here it is with tabs on top v1 from CTR:
http://postimg.org/image/t7smqcav1/

The first tab has lost its left border. The bottom border of the tab does not blend. (Notice though that the tab deck is at its correct height now, giving only 1 pixel of separation between the tab and the top of the deck, unlike with the default tabs on top setting.)

It isn't visible in the screenshot but there appears to be a double border between the tab deck and the addon/status bar. This mode also changes the background color of the tab deck for me, but this may be a personal userchrome setting. But it doesnt happen with the default and version 2.

Here it is with the tabs on top v2:
http://postimg.org/image/gne5hda1r/

This is very nearly the same as the default setting except that the tab deck is at the correct position - 1 pixel above the tabs.

There are also some pretty minor compatibility problems with TMP:

-When using Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.6 with CTR with the addon bar enabled, I very often (nearly 100% of the time) cannot move buttons placed on the
addon bar. I have to disable TMP to move the icons. This may be a TMP problem entirely, but I thought I would bring it up here just incase. It's minor because I rarely customize and restarting after customizing is not a big deal.

-Trying to customize when tabs on are on the bottom actually puts the tabs on top of the addon bar, so that the tabs overlap the addon bar. This can only be fixed with a restart. This also isn't a big deal due to the rarity of customization.

I am not worried about the minor problems but the visual difference between tabs when tabs are placed on the bottom pre-australis and post-australis is jarring to me. Is there anything I can do to return tabs to how they were before in firefox < 28?
Last edited by WindHeight on February 17th, 2015, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

roytam1 wrote:Can I add Title Text to Title Bar (like the one in Pale Moon) with CTR?

Not with CTR, but I linked a Stylish style, that can achieve that, in the first post of this thread.

WindHeight wrote:First let me thank you for the wonderful addon! I would have etiher still be using an older firefox version, or spending weeks or months getting the right user chrome settings to get things working properly again.

Some questions, or perhaps bugs to report. These seem to be problems with compatibility with Tab Mix Plus.

When using TMP 0.4.1.6 (the current release version) and CTR with square tabs, and with tabs placed on the bottom (of the window itself), there are some visual errors in how tabs are displayed. I only tried to with square tabs (default) because the other types (like australized square tabs) were unappealing to me. Each lead to some graphical errors:

(I am using CTR's build-in method for highlighting the selected tab.)

There are also some pretty minor compatibility problems with TMP:

-When using Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.6 with CTR with the addon bar enabled, I very often (nearly 100% of the time) cannot move buttons placed on the
addon bar. I have to disable TMP to move the icons. This may be a TMP problem entirely, but I thought I would bring it up here just incase. It's minor because I rarely customize and restarting after customizing is not a big deal.

-Trying to customize when tabs on are on the bottom actually puts the tabs on top of the addon bar, so that the tabs overlap the addon bar. This can only be fixed with a restart. This also isn't a big deal due to the rarity of customization.

I am not worried about the minor problems but the visual difference between tabs when tabs are placed on the bottom pre-australis and post-australis is jarring to me. Is there anything I can do to return tabs to how they were before in firefox < 28?

TMPs "Tabs below content" option is not officially supported by CTR. Even using it without CTR installed cause glitches on various configurations especially on AeroGlass with disabled menubar.

Squared tabs v1 require "something" to cover tabs bottom area and navigation toolbar (tabs on top) and web content box (tabs not on top) do their job well, but unfortunately the restored add-on bar is not able to do so for TMPs "tabs below content" mode.

However there is an almost clean solution to your problem:
- TMPs "tab below content"
- CTRs "squared tabs (classic) v2"
- CTRs "tabs not on top v1"
- CTRs color setting for active tab
(min/max the window, if you see any gaps around the tabs toolbar right after performing this changes)

I know its not the same, if you compare it pixel by pixel to Fx28 and older, but its close and seems to work fine in my tests.

The bug in customizing mode disappears after minimizing/maximizing window.
I could not reproduce the glitch where the left tab border disappears. Does it also happen with "squared tabs v2"?
anon42

Post by anon42 »

Aris wrote:If the option is active, Cmd+L triggers that bar for me on MacOSX 10.9+ (tested on Fx with us locale).

I updated to the latest CTR Version 1.2.9.6beta1 and now the CMD-L appears to be working. It toggles the extra url bar and if you use it it goes to the link you enter, moves that link to the "real" url bar and turns off that extra url. Weird option. I think I'll always just keep it off :mrgreen:

Not sure what was happening the other day.
Aris

Post by Aris »

See it like this: some want to hide default urlbar by moving it to a hidden toolbar for example. Using this option they are able to keep it hidden and to display the "new" one once its needed.

I also think it is a weird and non-practical way to use a browser like this, but having a choice is what makes Firefox so special. ;-)
WindHeight

Post by WindHeight »

Thanks for the swift response to my post. I hope that you will consider supporting TMPs "tabs below content" in the future. It's a good way to get at the content of a page faster for smaller screens, especially if you have a hefty amount of toolbar buttons and menus like me. (I prefer it for a lot of other reasons, too.)

I am leaning toward using squared tabs classic, with tabs not on top v1. It looks the closest to FF 28 (after maximizing/minimizing to get rid of the second border), except for the left border issue which is unresolved, and the semi-transparent bottom border which does not exist on tabs.

Thanks again for the wonderful addon. You saved me weeks of work.
marleb

Post by marleb »

Aris wrote:Both issues are the result of your hacked Windows Classic theme for Windows 8. CTR can not modify the ui properly in this case.

Try this code to modify navigation toolbar color

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#main-window * #navigator-toolbox #nav-bar {
  background-image: linear-gradient(#e5e2db,#d3d0c9) !important;
}

Sorry, this was actually simply because I had "remove navigation bar background color" enabled from when I was trying to fix the rest... Just disabling it worked ;)

Aris wrote:Your browser fails to detect the currently used Windows visual style. CTRs preference relies on that info to properly display context menu entries.

Try to use the code in a new Stylish style instead of CTRs preference:

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {

#context-navigation{
   -moz-appearance:none !important;
   background:unset !important;
  }

#context-sep-navigation {
   display:none !important;
  }

#ctraddon_connavsep {
    visibility:visible !important;
  }

#context-back image,
   #context-forward image,
   #context-reload image,
   #context-stop image,
   #context-bookmarkpage image{
     display:none !important;
   }
   #context-back:before,
   #context-forward:before,
   #context-reload:before,
   #context-stop:before,
   #context-bookmarkpage:before{
     content: attr(aria-label) !important;
   }
   #context-navigation{
     -moz-box-orient: vertical !important;
   }
   #context-navigation > .menuitem-iconic {
     -moz-box-pack: start !important;
   }

#context-back:before,
   #context-forward:before,
   #context-reload:before,
   #context-stop:before,
   #context-bookmarkpage:before{
     -moz-margin-start:18px !important;
   }

#context-navigation{
     margin-bottom:-4px !important;
   }

}

Adjust the 18px, if needed.

And this fixed my context menu. Thanks a million!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i am not sure if some1 mentioned it before
but when i use a style for tabs unread and hover
unread [x] text: #CC0000 [x] bold
hover [x] background rgba(255,128,64,1) rgba(255,255,255,.40) [_] text [x] bold

the setting from hover text color overrides unread text color
unread has "red bold" and hover set it to "black bold" although not ticked.

tabmix plus made it right but i can not use because tmp make some round corners visible again - why ever - while i use classic squared tabs set with ctr

another one but not critical. i am just using the dev-edition from today and i switched back to normals tabs and i need to reset classic tabs in ctr otherwise i get messed up tabs - mixed classic and dark dev theme.

adding some new
can you please investigate in issues between ctr and ublock?
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/ublock/ (0.8.8.0)
latest https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases (0.8.8.2)

the latest nightly firefox wont startup with both activated but not when only one is active.
when starting up with only ctr enable i can enable and work with ublock until the next restart
mentioned also here -> http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewto ... 44#p955344
Aris

Post by Aris »

Brummelchen wrote:

i am not sure if some1 mentioned it before
but when i use a style for tabs unread and hover
unread [x] text: #CC0000 [x] bold
hover [x] background rgba(255,128,64,1) rgba(255,255,255,.40) [_] text [x] bold

the setting from hover text color overrides unread text color
unread has "red bold" and hover set it to "black bold" although not ticked.

tabmix plus made it right but i can not use because tmp make some round corners visible again - why ever - while i use classic squared tabs set with ctr

another one but not critical. i am just using the dev-edition from today and i switched back to normals tabs and i need to reset classic tabs in ctr otherwise i get messed up tabs - mixed classic and dark dev theme.

adding some new
can you please investigate in issues between ctr and ublock?
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/ublock/ (0.8.8.0)
latest https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases (0.8.8.2)

the latest nightly firefox wont startup with both activated but not when only one is active.
when starting up with only ctr enable i can enable and work with ublock until the next restart
mentioned also here -> http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewto ... 44#p955344

1. CTR offers "options" to override "hovered" preferences when using "unread/unloaded" tab colors. Look into unread/unloaded tab sections on CTRs prefwindow. Or do theses prefs not work anymore?
I would not say there is a "right or wrong" when comparing this behavior with TMP. Some users prefer 'hover' to affect unread/unloaded tabs, some don't. But the options should make everybody happy.

2. If you are using CTRs prefwindow to switch between developer theme and default theme, CTRs tab preferences will be saved and not reset. Switching to Aurora channel will always reset CTRs tabs to default to ensure nobody gets messed up tabs.

3. I just setup a new profile with todays nightly build, installed uBlock 0.8.8.2 and CTR 1.2.9.6. Firefox starts up and I don't see any issues so far. uBlock icon/button was added to navigation toolbar and is still there. Could you run a test on a new profile? The new preference, that was added and modified in the last few CTR builds, does only affect the ui, if it is enabled, but thats not the case on default setup.