[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dribgnikcom

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by dribgnikcom »

Aris wrote:I will not add a switch for "gfx.text.disable-aa" preference, because changing that pref can cause serious issues.
On my browser for example everything (graphics, images, spaces) was corrupted and text was gone from browser after I set it to true and restarted the browser.
I can not expect all users know how to find and edit their "prefs.js" within browser profile to fix the issue, if it occurs.

Please report this problem on Bugzilla and ask, if developers can fix it.
Aris,

You're quite correct... That setting should not be touched. Disabling AA altogether is not the answer.

Instead, please have a look at this response from user "mozian"...

The solution was simple... Version 52 changes the compositor from cairo to skia, and all you would need to do is to add an option somewhere in CTR that would change it back. Maybe something like: "Use old compositor (less anti-aliased fonts, changed in Firefox 52+)".

Adding this option would certainly be worthwhile, as many users who will no doubt update to 52 will find skia's font rendering woefully unappealing.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@q1k

Try this

Code: Select all

/*AGENT_SHEET*/

toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 18px 18px 0px) !important;
	  opacity: 1.0 !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:hover .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  background-image: radial-gradient(circle closest-side, hsla(45,100%,73%,.3), hsla(45,100%,73%,0)) !important;
	  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 36px 18px 18px) !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:hover:active .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  background-image: radial-gradient(circle closest-side, hsla(45,100%,73%,.1), hsla(45,100%,73%,0)) !important;
	  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 54px 18px 36px) !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred] .toolbarbutton-icon {
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  background-image: radial-gradient(circle closest-side, hsla(45,100%,73%,.3), hsla(45,100%,73%,0)) !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred]:hover:active .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  background-image: radial-gradient(circle closest-side, hsla(45,100%,73%,.1), hsla(45,100%,73%,0)) !important;
	}

list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starbutton1.png") !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:hover .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starbutton1.png") !important;
	}
	}
	  list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starbutton2.png") !important;
	}
	toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon {
	  list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starbutton2.png") !important;
	}
	}

#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #editBookmarkPanelStarIcon {
	  list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starred48.png") !important;
	}
@dribgnikcom

I will look into it...

So the preference gfx.content.azure.backends does only something, if users disable hardware acceleration, which is enabled by default, right? Adding an option for this to CTR would also require an explanation when and how this gfx change/tweak happens and most likely also require the switch for "hardware acceleration" too for better understanding. I'm not sure this is something CTR should take care of.
juozas

Post by juozas »

After a quite long usage of browser (open tabs, browsing, etc.) firefox lags for some quite time when the CTR's firefox menu is open. Can't click on any menu item, few seconds delay untill I can select anything. Repeating every time I open that menu. about:performace barking that CTR is slowing down firefox alot. Is there a way to debug what is causing this? I'm stumped.

Screenshots

It appears CTR is one of the worse addons I have installed, when it starts lagging. A conflict maybe?
Сделано в СССР
q1k

Post by q1k »

Thank you Aris,
I have ended up with this code

toolbar :-moz-any(#bookmarks-button,#bookmarks-menu-button,#ctraddon_bookmarks-menu-toolbar-button,#ctraddon_bookmarks-button):not([cui-areatype="menu-panel"]) > .toolbarbutton-icon,
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[cui-areatype="toolbar"],
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[cui-areatype="toolbar"][starred],
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:not([cui-areatype="menu-panel"]) > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker > .dropmarker-icon,
toolbar #classic_bm_button23-toolbar-button > .toolbarbutton-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://cstbb-extension/content/icons/fx_toolbar_29.png") !important;
}

#bookmarks-menu-button > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker { display: none !important; }

#bookmarks-menu-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
  border: 1px solid #B8C5D1 !important;
  border-right: none !important;

margin: 0 -2px 0 2px !important;
  padding-bottom: 2px !important;
  padding-top: 2px !important;
}

}
}
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:hover .toolbarbutton-icon,
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon{
}
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:hover:active .toolbarbutton-icon,
}

toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button .toolbarbutton-icon,
}
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred] .toolbarbutton-icon,
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button[starred]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon,
}
  list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/starred48.png") !important;
}
The final thing left to do is to make the leftmost border of the awesome bar slightly brighter (which I can't figure out how to target).
And also make the bookmark button borders blue when selected into the location bar (If possible).
Here's an image of what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/oun50fG.png

I also don't know how to be more specific when adding the white background. I have done this:

#bookmarks-menu-button > * > * { background-color: white !important; }
dribgnikcom

Post by dribgnikcom »

Aris wrote: @dribgnikcom

I will look into it...

So the preference gfx.content.azure.backends does only something, if users disable hardware acceleration, which is enabled by default, right? Adding an option for this to CTR would also require an explanation when and how this gfx change/tweak happens and most likely also require the switch for "hardware acceleration" too for better understanding. I'm not sure this is something CTR should take care of.
Windows XP has no hardware acceleration, so this is only relevant to XP. Users of later systems with Direct2D acceleration would be unaffected by the order change, unless they manually went in there and changed the compositor order and put skia or cairo before direct2d.

What you might add to the setting is "(Windows XP only)", though it won't harm users of other systems.

There's also gfx.canvas.azure.backends... Not sure what that does exactly.

EDIT: You might want to hold off on this for now... Some websites look very odd, yet some have no antialiasing at all (downloadcenter.intel.com), so clearly, something else has changed with Firefox 52.
Aris

Post by Aris »

juozas wrote:After a quite long usage of browser (open tabs, browsing, etc.) firefox lags for some quite time when the CTR's firefox menu is open. Can't click on any menu item, few seconds delay untill I can select anything. Repeating every time I open that menu. about:performace barking that CTR is slowing down firefox alot. Is there a way to debug what is causing this? I'm stumped.

Screenshots
http://i.imgur.com/9c5zbgl.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/9c5zbgll.png
http://i.imgur.com/Rh3Ukcs.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/Rh3Ukcsl.png

It appears CTR is one of the worse addons I have installed, when it starts lagging. A conflict maybe?
You could run some tests without CTR enabled and some tests without the other add-ons enabled.
If the browser is still laggy after a while in one case, you might narrow it done to one specific add-on.

Disabling some of CTRs options, that have heavier impact on performance than others might also help:
- favicon in location bar
- custom tab width settings
- activity indicator
q1k wrote:Thank you Aris,
I have ended up with this code

toolbar :-moz-any(#bookmarks-button,#bookmarks-menu-button,#ctraddon_bookmarks-menu-toolbar-button,#ctraddon_bookmarks-button):not([cui-areatype="menu-panel"]) > .toolbarbutton-icon,
toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:not([cui-areatype="menu-panel"]) > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker > .dropmarker-icon,
  list-style-image: url("chrome://cstbb-extension/content/icons/fx_toolbar_29.png") !important;
}

#bookmarks-menu-button > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker { display: none !important; }

margin: 0 -2px 0 2px !important;
}

}
}
}
}

}
}
}
1. The final thing left to do is to make the leftmost border of the awesome bar slightly brighter (which I can't figure out how to target).
2. And also make the bookmark button borders blue when selected into the location bar (If possible).
Here's an image of what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/oun50fG.png

3. I also don't know how to be more specific when adding the white background. I have done this:

1. To override location bars left border color, use this:

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar,
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme){
  border-left: 1px solid lightgrey !important;
}
2. Not possible. The button is not part of location bar and therefore can not inherit any status the location bar has (like "selected"/"focused"/"active" in this case).

3. If this works, it is OK. :D
dribgnikcom wrote:...
Windows XP has no hardware acceleration, so this is only relevant to XP. Users of later systems with Direct2D acceleration would be unaffected by the order change, unless they manually went in there and changed the compositor order and put skia or cairo before direct2d.

What you might add to the setting is "(Windows XP only)", though it won't harm users of other systems.

There's also gfx.canvas.azure.backends... Not sure what that does exactly.

EDIT: You might want to hold off on this for now... Some websites look very odd, yet some have no antialiasing at all (downloadcenter.intel.com), so clearly, something else has changed with Firefox 52.
Are you saying the "hardware acceleration" switch does nothing on Windows XP? Are you sure?
As far as I know Mozilla has dropped support for Windows XP. Fx52/52ESR will be the last version to support XP. Current Fx53/54 can not be started on XP already (at least in my tests).
WinXP runs here in a VM so I'm not sure how accurate this result is, but changing the content of "gfx.canvas.azure.backends" pref (skia->cairo, cairo->skia...) did not make any difference for me with and without hardware acceleration. Same test on Win 7 however made a tiny difference in font aa.
juozas

Post by juozas »

@Aris,

I've disabled all addons except CTR. After long browsing and couple of tabs open I still get the lag, as long I visit resource intensive sites.
The lag only happens when the firefox button is clicked, then it takes a couple of seconds when (not instantly, a second or two later).
Every other menus that aren't hidden works ok so far, menu bar triggered by F10 works ok too, so only firefox button is affected.

Checking on CTR settings done so far:
favicon in location bar option - just unchecked, after restart and a some resource heavy usage we still have the lag.
custom tab width settings - dunno how to disable, can find only how change them settings are default
activity indicator option - not checked, dunno if it can have an impact on performance.

Closing resource intensive tabs still getting some lag, takes a few secconds.
Last edited by juozas on February 1st, 2017, 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Сделано в СССР
Aris

Post by Aris »

The Firefox button menu steals some items from other menus while its popup is open and puts them back after it gets closed. If the browser is busy with whatever stuff, it may cause lags, but there is nothing I can do about.

Does the "tab" lag occur without CTR too?

About the options:
- favicon: your screenshot shows favicon in location bar
- custom tab width settings are "disabled", if both default values are used
juozas

Post by juozas »

No lag occurs while switching tabs, only when using firefox button (e.g. Gif animation freezes when the lag happens), dunno about other "tab lag".
favicon: your screenshot shows favicon in location bar
This is current configuration - notice there's no icon in "location bar", only on "tab".

tab width settings are both default, nothing changed
Сделано в СССР
q1k

Post by q1k »

Aris wrote: 1. To override location bars left border color, use this:

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar,
  border-left: 1px solid lightgrey !important;
}
2. Not possible. The button is not part of location bar and therefore can not inherit any status the location bar has (like "selected"/"focused"/"active" in this case).

3. If this works, it is OK. :D
Changing that border didn't work, I have no idea why.

But I somehow managed to get the look I wanted:
http://i.imgur.com/WnvDcil.png == Clicked inside urlbar and hovered the star icon.

The code used, in addition to the previous one I posted:

#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar::before,
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
  padding-left: 31px !important; /* make room for the star button */
}

#bookmarks-menu-button {position: absolute; margin-right: -34px;} /* I needed to absolutely move the button inside */
#bookmarks-menu-button * {border: none !important;} /* I had to remove all other borders that appear on hover as well */

#bookmarks-menu-button .toolbarbutton-icon { /* and I have added back the right side border of the star button */
  border-right: 1px solid #D4D4D4 !important;
  padding-top: 2px !important; /* needed to add some padding to size it properly */
}
One final thing I need is to make the button not clickable when hovering outside the urlbar. I believe that is the default behavior of the toolbars buttons, but can it be altered?
I played with pointer-events but without success, perhaps I was doing something wrong...
Last edited by q1k on February 1st, 2017, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

juozas wrote:No lag occurs while switching tabs, only when using firefox button (e.g. Gif animation freezes when the lag happens), dunno about other "tab lag".
favicon: your screenshot shows favicon in location bar
http://i.imgur.com/7rhh4c0.png
This is current configuration - notice there's no icon in "location bar", only on "tab".

tab width settings are both default, nothing changed
Well the icon was on previous screenshots. :mrgreen:

Not sure how to improve the button lagging on Linux.
q1k wrote:...

Are you saying the "hardware acceleration" switch does nothing on Windows XP? Are you sure?
As far as I know Mozilla has dropped support for Windows XP. Fx52/52ESR will be the last version to support XP. Current Fx53/54 can not be started on XP already (at least in my tests).
WinXP runs here in a VM so I'm not sure how accurate this result is, but changing the content of "gfx.canvas.azure.backends" pref (skia->cairo, cairo->skia...) did not make any difference for me with and without hardware acceleration. Same test on Win 7 however made a tiny difference in font aa.
1. Changing that border didn't work, I have no idea why.

But I somehow managed to get the look I wanted:
http://i.imgur.com/WnvDcil.png == Clicked inside urlbar and hovered the star icon.

The code used, in addition to the previous one I posted:

2. One final thing I need is to make the button not clickable when hovering outside the urlbar. I believe that is the default behavior of the toolbars buttons, but can it be altered?
I played with pointer-events but without success, perhaps I was doing something wrong...[/quote]

I strongly suggest to install Firefox 51 of 52 beta and create your code tweaks there. Most likely something you "optimize" for Fx50 will break on Fx51.

1. There is already to much code that causes conflicts. If you add something for one class, makse usre theres is nothing similar, that already affects that area.

2. Only possible, if you modify all toolbar buttons using custom code similar to what CTBs "old large buttons" option does, but that code is to large to explain and actually not what you want.

To reduce the effect for non starred button, this code should help:

* toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:not([starred]) .toolbarbutton-icon {
  box-shadow: unset !important;
  background-image: unset !important;
}
Don't forget to add /*AGENT_SHEET*/ as first line of your entire code.

Here is what I have tested on Fx 54:

/*AGENT_SHEET*/

}
    }
    }
    }

}
    }
    }

margin: 0px -2px 0px 2px !important;
    }

* toolbar #bookmarks-menu-button:not([starred]) .toolbarbutton-icon {
}
[/size]
q1k

Post by q1k »

I have updated to 51 as you suggested.

I add the code to stylish with this at the top:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
If I add or replace it with /*AGENT_SHEET*/, some things don't work like the absolute position. (If I add it in CTR css section, it isn't working fully too)

Here's what I have:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] toolbox toolbar #urlbar::before,
  padding-left: 32px !important;
}

#bookmarks-menu-button {position: absolute; margin-right: -34px;}

#main-window:-moz-any([customize-entering],[customize-entered]) #bookmarks-menu-button {position: relative !important; margin-right: 0 !important;} /* make it position relative when customizing */

#bookmarks-menu-button * {border: none !important;}

border-right: 1px solid #D4D4D4 !important;
}

}

}
}
}
}

}
}
}

What I can't figure out is how I can remove the box-shadow when hovering over a non opened button.
So if the popup is not open I would like the icon to not have extra borders/shadow (except the border on the right #D4D4D4).
But when it is open, show the shadow effect.

This code does half the job:

#bookmarks-menu-button:not([starred]) .toolbarbutton-icon {
}
Aris

Post by Aris »

@q1k

#bookmarks-menu-button[buttondown="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon,
#bookmarks-menu-button[starred] .toolbarbutton-icon {
}
gaomeo

Post by gaomeo »

Couldn't find anything regarding this. Firefox added, Zoom Level indicator in Location bar: see,
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/17/firefo ... dress-bar/
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1155400

I don't see any option to "display" or "hide" that in Classic Theme Restorer. I may have missed it, or it not yet support.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

Aris wrote: Disabling some of CTRs options, that have heavier impact on performance than others might also help:
- favicon in location bar
- custom tab width settings
- activity indicator
This is an interesting point, there are other useful options to disable in old systems?
I suggest to add these suggestions in first page.
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.