[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Fx29-56/Waterfox/Basilisk)

Post by Aris »

Yes, you will get updates automatically. Once the 1.7.4.x test builds are ready to go, the last one will become 1.7.5 and offer full changelogs.
1.7.4.1 dealt with this issue: https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... issues/390
1.7.4.2 was about optimizing the things mentioned a few posts ago: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14800888
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

@Aris!

Success in CTR 1.7.4.2!

The alternative Firefox menu now shows "Waterfox" in the Quit section if Waterfox is used. Furthermore, the entry is now localized for me. Amazing.

It's a pity that you are planning to leave some if not most icons in low DPI mode. They don't look great on High DPI screens, unfortunately.

A little update on the reintroduction of add-on version numbers in Waterfox... There will now be a pref to switch between add-on version number displayed / not displayed:

- https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/pull/569

This preference is related to these commits:

- https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/co ... de7f4f8053
- https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/co ... bc895e9e45

The add-on version number setting in the CTR preferences should be altered for Waterfox; it should just toggle this pref.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@#Sun-Glasses
I added 32x32px icons (bright, dark, grey) for the Firefox button in v1.7.5. There are tons of other icons which would consume much time to update and heavily increase this add-ons file size (and probably slow down the browser). Further more there are no hires icons for every icon available anyways.

Your previous note about add-on managers version number was not unnoticed.
Lets see how the upcoming option of Waterfox plays along with CTRs option before removing, changing or altering stuff.

Previously CTRs option and my other add-on to only restore the version number could coexist and be active at the same time without breaking add-on manger.
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

@Aris:

The alternative Firefox menu icon now looks really nice.

Regarding the other High DPI icons... Especially the close icons on tabs, as well as the icons for the menu entries in the alternative Firefox menu seem to be bad offenders. They are abysmal to look at. High DPI screens are not that uncommon these days... Apple has them, MS Surface has them, Huawei laptops have them... The list goes on. If it enhances the overall quality of the add-on on such devices, I would update the icons where possible. Even if your add-on was 20 MB in size it wouldn't necessarily bog down my SSD. Just saying.

I normally wouldn't want to press the issue, but the icons do look so bad that it hurts.
Last edited by #Sun-Glasses on May 19th, 2018, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Its not like I don't believe you. I know many icons look awful in HiDPI modes, but I can not simply rescale or enlarge them. They just get blurry or don't look as clean as they should. The source already offered small icons in the past.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:I know many icons look awful in HiDPI modes, but I can not simply rescale or enlarge them. They just get blurry or don't look as clean as they should.
I did a workaround for this a while back. It is what it is and is not a solution, but the stuff looks a lot better.

In Sinclair, it's - IF HDPI THEN transform scale + sharpening svg filter.

Actually works better than I thought it would (once you get the filter right!) and, in an uncertain future, it's a damn sight quicker than spending weeks on doing svgs or oversize pngs.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

Thanks Frank, I will run some tests.
CrackTipe

Post by CrackTipe »

Great extension. But for some reason on Waterfox 56.2.0 the Bookmarks Button doesn't have an icon, just a drop down arrow.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@CrackTipe
Install 1.7.6.1 from here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... /tag/1.7.6
If you previously installed a version from Github, you will get this update automatically through add-ons manager.

The issue was present on Windows in HiDPI modes, if CTRs bookmarks buttons were on navigation toolbar.
Melchior82

Post by Melchior82 »

@Aris THX for updates! :D :D
CrackTipe

Post by CrackTipe »

@Aris You're the man, bro.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Hi Aris,

Nice tweaks in CustomCSSforFx, I've been making use of quite a few of them.

This code works great for putting the personal toolbar on the bottom then autohiding it in full screen in v60:

Code: Select all

/* move bookmarks toolbar to bottom + style bookmarks toolbar */
#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox > #PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-window-dragging: no-drag;
  display: block !important;
  position: fixed !important;
  bottom: 0px !important;
  width: 100% !important;
  height: 27px !important;
  -moz-padding-start: 1px !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 1px !important;
  border-top: 1px solid var(--toolbox-border-bottom-color) !important;
}

#main-window[sizemode="fullscreen"]:not([inDOMFullscreen="true"]) #PersonalToolbar {
  visibility: visible !important;
}

#PersonalToolbar {
     opacity: 0 !important;
     transition: all 0.1s ease 0s !important;
     margin-top: 32px !important;          
}

#navigator-toolbox:hover #PersonalToolbar {
     opacity: 1.0 !important;
     transition-delay: 0s !important; 
     margin-top: inherit !important;     
}

#PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-window-dragging: no-drag !important;
}
The one problem that I'm having is that the bar starts to unhide at the very top of the bar so that it's impossible to adjust bottom webpage scroll bars because the toolbar is up and over them. Is there some code I can add that would not unhide the bar until the mouse pointer goes all the way to the very bottom of the webpage? I've tried all kinds of different changes with margin-top, margin-bottom and padding but can't seem to find it.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@marty60

You have to place your bookmarks toolbar "lower" than 0px to achieve what you are looking for. The "margin-top" rules don't apply, if your element is "fixed" on a specified position like "bottom" in this case. You have to work with bottom: -XXpx !important to move the toolbar out of the screen and bottom: 0px !important; to get it back.

Test this example (it leaves a 7px vertical space to access the hidden toolbar):

Code: Select all

/* move bookmarks toolbar to bottom + style bookmarks toolbar */
#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox > #PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-window-dragging: no-drag;
  display: block !important;
  position: fixed !important;
  bottom: -20px !important;
  width: 100% !important;
  height: 27px !important;
  -moz-padding-start: 1px !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 1px !important;
  border-top: 1px solid var(--toolbox-border-bottom-color) !important;
  opacity: 0 !important;
  transition: all 0.1s ease 0s !important;
}

#main-window[sizemode="fullscreen"]:not([inDOMFullscreen="true"]) #PersonalToolbar {
  visibility: visible !important;
}

#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox > #PersonalToolbar:hover  {
  opacity: 1.0 !important;
  transition-delay: 0s !important;
  bottom: 0px !important;	 
}

#PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-window-dragging: no-drag !important;
}
Lower the value bottom: -20px !important; even move (possible between 0px and -27px) to have better access to your scrollbars, but this will also reduce the space you can hover to make the toolbar visible.

You can also subtract your vertical scrollbar width from bookmarks toolbar width to make the scrollbar always fully accessible.
Replace width: 100% !important; with width: calc(100% - 17px) !important; assuming your scrollbar has a width of 17px.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Changing the bottom value to -20px does give you access to the web page scrollbar but all you see is a thin top strip of the bookmarks toolbar when hovering with the mouse pointer. I tried bottom padding but all that does is bring the toolbar up right back to where you started from.

For now I cut the width of the toolbar enough so that accessing the web page scrollbars is possible. I only have about 5 buttons on the toolbar so it's not like I need the whole bar. Thanks for helping out Aris.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Have you tested the code without any other code? Maybe something is interfering. For me the full bookmarks toolbar appears after hovering bottoms last vertical 7px area.