[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Fx29-56/Waterfox/Basilisk)

Post by Aris »

You can ask about new stuff or general changes inside the "General discussions, feedback, questions belong here" thread on Github.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I'm confused after reading the last few posts. Can we continue to ask HERE regarding a problem, etc when using CTR on Fx 52 ESR, Basilisk, etc?

A favorite website I visit daily yesterday had its ssl cert expire and I used Fx/Basilisk exception option to get to the site. The lock that I had chosen for Fx52.9 ESR in CTR (gold one on the extreme right of the choices) did NOT change at all after I made an exception so I could visit the "insecure" site. It visually appeared to be a secure site when it no longer was. On Basilisk, I noticed that after I made an exception for the site and visited it that way that the lock showed a yellow triangle over the lower right side of the lock. A good visual notice that I was on a site that was not secure where I had made an exception. I had left the lock choice at CTR default on Basilisk (a tiny green one that I can barely see) and I guess only the default lock will give some sort of visual indicator when the user makes an exception for a secure site that is not secure?

Is it possible for CTR to give a visual indicator on one of the other choices of locks? What about the gold lock (that is bigger than the green one so I can see it easily) turning red in a situation like this? I really like how Vivaldi does it. Nice big red BROKEN lock at the site I am referring to. (If the default green lock I have from CTR on Basilisk is broken on this particular site I can't see that because the lock is so tiny). Basilisk is my default browser and it was just an oversight of mine that I didn't change the lock to the larger gold one on it. I want to change it now to the gold one but I sure would like some sort of visual indicator when I have made an exception for a site regarding ssl. Or could there be a second choice for a larger green lock that already has the indicator of yellow triangle? (I realize I can mouse hover near the lock and be given text that tells me the site is not ssl and that I have made an exception....but I like a visual cue much better plus like a larger lock than the default one).

I want to thank you again for continuing to support the Fx forks and Fx 52 ESR that give us UI choices. I had to create a new profile for Basilisk the other day for troubleshooting purposes and I couldn't believe how ugly the UI is without CTR! I've been very spoiled all these years by CTR and very grateful for it also!
Aris

Post by Aris »

This thread is for all support questions regarding "Classic Theme Restorer" add-on, no matter, if you are using Firefox or a Firefox fork like Waterfox or Basilisk.
I only meant questions regarding custom css for Firefox Quantum (57+) or my "CustomCSSforFx" repository belong on Github.

CTRs options to change padlock icons currently don't take care of the case you mentioned (-> ".certUserOverridden"), but next update will fix this.

EDIT
A "fixed" version (1.7.7.2) for Waterfox and Basilisk is now online on CTRs Github page. If you installed one of the previous CTR releases from there, you will get the new version through autoupdate, otherwise look here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... r/releases

No idea when Firefox 52-56 users will get the update. I uploaded the file to AMO, but have no control over review speed.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Thank you for the clarification regarding what this thread is for. I've intended to just stop using Fx altogether when 52.9 ESR gets too old and has significant security issues. I should check out your custom css for Fx quantum. Maybe I'll be able to stand it with some custom css.

I installed 1.7.7.2 just now on Fx 52.9 ESR from your github page. It works fine and the gold lock showed the yellowish orange triangle at the site where I made the exception without my needing to do anything (except restart Fx after I installed this latest version). This profile goes back to Fx 10.0 ESR and has so many tweaks I can't recall many of them. I have some tweak that allows me to ignore the signing requirement.

I going to install it now on Basilisk. I got it from AMO way back when Basilisk was brand new. If I waited for AMO to review/approve it, Basilisk would tell me there is an update for CTR but I'm not going to wait. I'll install it now from Github. Thanks for the update!
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Aris »

In case someone is wondering what happened to CTR on AMO, look here.
ultramage

Post by ultramage »

I updated from Firefox 52 ESR to 56.0.2 after backtracking from 60. I noticed that long tab titles now use a fade effect instead of truncating with three dots (...). I dislike this - it's both distracting and not useful, since the faded text is hard to read. I turned to CTR to remedy this situation, and found the option Tabs -> Long tab titles. However, I'm not satisfied with the options provided.

default overflow effect - the tabs fade out to the right.
no overflow effect - writes everything and lets the UI/css do the clipping; can show partial letters, no overflow indicator.
no overflow effect (v2) - removes the first clipped word and everything after it; can result in empty tabs, no overflow indicator.

None of these work for me. The third one feels especially weird. Why would you just remove the whole word? For long words, this leaves large gaps in the tab titles and can remove the most important part of the title. Could you please add an option to mimic the old Firefox behavior, with the three dots truncation?
Aris

Post by Aris »

If there was an easy way to restore the three dots using CSS, I would have added it right away. Mozilla changed the internal label box and with that the amount of possible tweaks to it.

CTR shows what CSS still can do with its wrap features even, if it means the is a different result.
Not sure why you would mention "no overflow indicator" for options labeled with "no overflow effect".
1. option - does nothing, it is what Firefox does by default
2. option - removes 'overflow' mask without changing tab text/content, it is still how Firefox shows text now by default
3. option - this was just an experiment to cut off the word "hitting the edge"

Firefox 56 is dead, either use 52ESR or Basilisk browser (mostly based on 52ESR) to keep the old behavior.
ultramage

Post by ultramage »

52ESR line ended, they have moved to 60ESR.
I'm testing "{ text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden; }" at the moment. It doesn't want to apply to any element in the tree for some reason. Also had touble with DOM Inspector until I figured out I need to disable e10s to get it to load.

PS: The 'padlock icon for secure connections' option 'hidden' has no effect for some reason. The others do.
Gilgamesh1025

Post by Gilgamesh1025 »

I'm on newest Waterfox with CTR and I've noticed that the empty favicon hack (Tabs - Page - Show favicon) doesn't work anymore, and I always get the bright globe favicon on the Bookmarks toolbar. I recently moved from FF 52 ESR and I can't remember if I had that problem there and unfortunately can't check cause I've already uninstalled FF to reclaim disk space.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@ultramage
I tried a lot of CSS features back then, but could not restore the old behavior.

You can only hide the padlock icon, if "Favicon: current websites icon" is enabled.
Edit: 1.7.7.4 fixing this issue is out on Github for Waterfox and Basilisk.

@Gilgamesh1025
The mentioned option is only for tabs not for bookmarks.

There was a separate option for bookmarks in 'general ui' category, but it was removed for Firefox 55+, because Mozilla added some changes for bookmarks without favicons. At the end there was no general way to override those basic favicons for bookmarks anymore.
Gilgamesh1025

Post by Gilgamesh1025 »

(Edited)

So, I should talk to Waterfox devs about this? Or can I change a file manually, like with userChrome.css?
Aris

Post by Aris »

@Gilgamesh1025

There is nothing I can do about. If something would be possible with CSS, CTR could take care of it. After all CTR is mostly a collection of various CSS and JS scripts.
Waterfox devs surely could add something to make bookmarks without favicons more distinguishing from other bookmarks by adding another node to them or something similar.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

I'm using CTR v1.7.7.2 in Firefox ESR 52.9.0. and I'm trying to replace an icon that CTR has changed in its recent versions (the toolbar button icon that opens the Bookmarks sidebar).

However, no matter what I try, the icon just won't change. I can hide the icon, change its size, change its colour etc. but I just can't replace it with another icon (despite having done this successfully with other CTR added icons).

This CSS works (it resizes, adjusts margins, and changes colour):

Code: Select all

#ctraddon_bookmarks-button .toolbarbutton-icon { height:26px; width:25px; margin: -1px !important; 
 filter: saturate(15%) hue-rotate(9deg) brightness(0.88)  contrast(1.64) !important; } 
But this does not:

#ctraddon_bookmarks-button .toolbarbutton-icon  { margin-left: 0px !important;
  list-style-image: url("file:///C:/Path/to/image/icon.png") !important; }
Obviously the real actual path is used in my command.

If I apply the exact same icon-changing command to the icon either side of it (the History and Scrapbook icons) then it works fine; but just not for the CTR bookmark icon in the middle.

Does anyone have any idea why? Thanks.
Aris

Post by Aris »

You have to find the exact code inside CTR to know what to override. Since you are using a HiDPI resolution, this one is required. Add it to CTRs custom CSS area using an own icon.

@media (min-resolution: 1.1dppx) {
  toolbar #ctraddon_bookmarks-menu-toolbar-button:not(:-moz-lwtheme) .toolbarbutton-icon,
  toolbar #ctraddon_bookmarks-button:not(:-moz-lwtheme) .toolbarbutton-icon{
	  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 32px, 0) !important;
	  list-style-image: url(chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/bookmarks_menu.png) !important;
	  width: 16px !important;
  }
}
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Thank you!