[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
al_9x

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Customize UI) #2

Post by al_9x »

Aris wrote:
Alexo wrote:How will the changes mentioned in https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08 ... x-add-ons/ affect CTR?
CTR and a handful of other extensions are the main reason that I still use Firefox.

If CTR won't be able to use css tweaks/hacks or to modify, move, create or remove ui elements (like buttons, toolbars, menuitems, colors etc.) anymore, it will most likely be discontinued along with many many other add-ons on AMO.

https://hackademix.net/2015/08/22/webex ... -noscript/
https://hackademix.net/2015/08/26/webextensions-faq/
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org ... s-api/3457

According to Girogio Maone (noscript) Mozilla is working (at least with him) to meet the needs of add-ons that need more than WebExtensions. Would it be possible for you to link up with whoever he's working with to make sure CTR requirements are addressed?
PhiliP190

Post by PhiliP190 »

I've posted on Firefox Support but nobody's answering me.

I try here...

As you can see, there is a one pixel line all along Firefox's main interface : In present case, that line is blue. There's a grey one bellow.

I would like not to have this blue line, and no more the grey one (two things i suppose). Could you help ?
French guy.
Aris

Post by Aris »

msia2k wrote:It seems the new defauult tab line separation is barely visible now, with the new FX43 build.

Next beta will take care of this glitch.

al_9x wrote:...

https://hackademix.net/2015/08/22/webex ... -noscript/
https://hackademix.net/2015/08/26/webextensions-faq/
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org ... s-api/3457

According to Girogio Maone (noscript) Mozilla is working (at least with him) to meet the needs of add-ons that need more than WebExtensions. Would it be possible for you to link up with whoever he's working with to make sure CTR requirements are addressed?

I doubt CTR will continue to exists the way it does now. Maybe we will at least be able to set / modify css code for UI elements, maybe not, but the whole point of Mozillas decision to drop XUL would not make any sense, if we still could do same UI tweaks currently possible.
Lets see what Mozilla comes up with in the next months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "NoScript" or "Adblock" are mostly web filters, that manage web content between users (what they see or execute) and servers (what is offered [html, scripts, images, videos...]). They do not modify the browser ui, only the web content, right? So you can not compare those to CTR or other add-ons that modify buttons, toolbars or icons etc..

If you look at what is currently possible with Google Chrome or Opera, you see nothing is possible. There are no add-ons that modify/move/remove default menus, menuitems, toolbar buttons, icons or toolbars*, because browser developers do not want you to do thise. If Firefox goes the same way, such level of customization won't be possible either.

* Google Chrome only allows to change main background images which can be compared to Firefox lw-themes and Opera "themes" allow to change new tab pages background and preferences background, what is joke imo.

PhiliP190 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/jG02D6H.png

I've posted on Firefox Support but nobody's answering me.
I try here...
As you can see, there is a one pixel line all along Firefox's main interface : In present case, that line is blue. There's a grey one bellow.
I would like not to have this blue line, and no more the grey one (two things i suppose). Could you help ?

Why would Mozilla or their support team bother to answer questions regarding UI modifications not done by them? :mrgreen:

I see you are using a few CTR tweaks to heavily modify the browser ui. Are you by any chance also using "Tabs not on top v2"? If yes, switch back to "Tabs not on top v1". v2 is meant to be used with a few complete themes to solve compatibility issues.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Aris wrote:I doubt CTR will continue to exists the way it does now. Maybe we will at least be able to set / modify css code for UI elements, maybe not, but the whole point of Mozillas decision to drop XUL would not make any sense, if we still could do same UI tweaks currently possible.
Lets see what Mozilla comes up with in the next months.

Sad to hear. Do you think SeaMonkey will go in the same direction? I've got it primed and ready!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Aris

Post by Aris »

That is to early to answer. It depends on what Thunderbird and Seamonkey teams will decide.
First Follow

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by First Follow »

Hi, I'm encountering an odd texture error with some of my buttons on my desktop.
I tested FF without CTR and the textures are fine, so I'm reasonably comfortable in my assumption that it's at fault.
Anyway, my problem is that several buttons on my navigation bar are displaying incorrectly as in this image:
The button that's showing as the private browsing mask and magnifying glass should be the downloads arrow and the large empty area should be the menu button.

Using the same FF configuration on my laptop shows that it's working just fine.
Here's what it looks like on the laptop and should look like on the desktop:

Both are running FF version 40.0.2.
The laptop's OS is Windows 8.1 Pro and the desktop's is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PhiliP190

Post by PhiliP190 »

I've reverted to V1 as you told me. The main tab has no more "blue" separation

But the grey one is still there and the rest of the interface still have both :

I would like to hide/delete the two 1 heignt pixel last lines : The light blue one and the light grey one, the two last ones, just before the real web content.

Is that your skill Aris ? Yes you can :mrgreen:

One more question : Tere are two separators between web content and my bookmark sidebar. I would like one only pixel line. could you help me ?

I think If i culd have those, i'll have the purest browser i could ever dream...
French guy.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

From the WebExtensions FAQ: "We don't want to limit what add-ons can do in Firefox. We will work with every developer who is interested to make their add-on work in Firefox, and work to provide the functionality required in as many cases as possible." It would be useful to get a concrete statement from that team on how much of CTR functionality will be possible (or, very unfortunately, not) because it would tell us all a lot about their thinking. If you don't want to ask, I'd be happy to.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Aris

Post by Aris »

First Follow wrote:Hi, I'm encountering an odd texture error with some of my buttons on my desktop.
I tested FF without CTR and the textures are fine, so I'm reasonably comfortable in my assumption that it's at fault.
Anyway, my problem is that several buttons on my navigation bar are displaying incorrectly as in this image:
http://i.imgur.com/TaI7o4B.png
The button that's showing as the private browsing mask and magnifying glass should be the downloads arrow and the large empty area should be the menu button.

Using the same FF configuration on my laptop shows that it's working just fine.
Here's what it looks like on the laptop and should look like on the desktop:
http://i.imgur.com/Q8pemuP.png

Both are running FF version 40.0.2.
The laptop's OS is Windows 8.1 Pro and the desktop's is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are using a HiDPI resolution on your desktop system and CTRs "inverted icons" options are not updated yet for that case on Windows with Fx40+. Next Beta will fix that.

PhiliP190 wrote:I've reverted to V1 as you told me. The main tab has no more "blue" separation

http://i.imgur.com/oIA5COC.png

But the grey one is still there and the rest of the interface still have both :

http://i.imgur.com/5qUBnlu.png

I would like to hide/delete the two 1 heignt pixel last lines : The light blue one and the light grey one, the two last ones, just before the real web content.

Is that your skill Aris ? Yes you can :mrgreen:

One more question : Tere are two separators between web content and my bookmark sidebar. I would like one only pixel line. could you help me ?

http://i.imgur.com/7FG5Vdj.png

I think If i culd have those, i'll have the purest browser i could ever dream...

Can you test CTR on a new profile without anything else installed? Wondering why you even see two lines. Nothing like that is visible for me:

default Aero OS theme

non-default OS theme

The lower image also shows the code to reduce sidebar separators size for non-default OS themes.

mcdavis wrote:From the WebExtensions FAQ: "We don't want to limit what add-ons can do in Firefox. We will work with every developer who is interested to make their add-on work in Firefox, and work to provide the functionality required in as many cases as possible." It would be useful to get a concrete statement from that team on how much of CTR functionality will be possible (or, very unfortunately, not) because it would tell us all a lot about their thinking. If you don't want to ask, I'd be happy to.

From what I understood an API, that allows toolbar and button modifications the way it is possible now, would be exactly what they want to prevent in the first pace, but it would be great to know for sure, so asking is a great idea.

They should have at least released a special developer build of the upcoming browser along with the announcement of WebExtensions, so devs could look into it and see what is possible and what is not.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

If they break CTR or other fundamental addons like Adblock, NoScript and so on, they will be unequivocally shooting themselves in the foot.

On regard to CTR, by now they should have realized that this extension is exactly what kept many people using Firefox after Australis and the disruption it meant for a sane and customizable interface.

They should get in touch with you just like they've done already with Maone, your extension does a completely different job but equally important IMO.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Anyone else noticed the name "WebExtensions" is not even slightly equal to "browser extensions". Sounds to me like they want to create and manage the browser ui themselves while extension devs are allowed to play with the web content.

-------------------

1.3.9 beta 5
[fix] Fx 43+: tab separator visibility
[fix] Fx 43+: tab separator options
[fix] Windows & Fx40+ & HiDPI: inverted icons settings

[new] option: alternative 'options page' appearance
* Preferences page restyled the way to the 'add-ons manager'
* gets altered by its 'alternative appearance' option.
---> http://i.imgur.com/oEBvS9z.png
PhiliP190

Post by PhiliP190 »

Aris wrote:Can you test CTR on a new profile without anything else installed? Wondering why you even see two lines. Nothing like that is visible for me:

default Aero OS theme

non-default OS theme

I have created a new folder near my .default profile in the "Profile" folder, placed its name in profile.ini in place of [older].default, start again firefox and installed CTR and there's what i got :

Aris wrote:
The lower image also shows the code to reduce sidebar separators size for non-default OS themes.

That's perfect :!: . Thank you very much. =D>
French guy.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@PhiliP190
Switch to "tabs not on top v1". The lines on your latest screenshot get removed in "tabs not on top mode".

PhiliP190

Post by PhiliP190 »

PhiliP190 wrote:
Aris wrote:@PhiliP190
Switch to "tabs not on top v1". The lines on your latest screenshot get removed in "tabs not on top mode".

If i go to V1, i haven't got this single all-in-one nice :D toolbar anymore...

I'll got two bars :(.

Edit: I switch to V2 and voilaaa :) : All is fine now :D

Edit two : Except i don't have Min/max/close button anymore... Maybe i could survice that :)

Edit three : Min/max... were hiden below my orange firefox menu... I'm Making blanc spaces to make it appear.

Wow wow wow...that's perfect now :D

French guy.
First Follow

Post by First Follow »

Aris wrote:You are using a HiDPI resolution on your desktop system and CTRs "inverted icons" options are not updated yet for that case on Windows with Fx40+. Next Beta will fix that.

Thanks for the response.
I guess I can live with the wonky buttons for a while.