[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56)

Post by Aris »

To be honest there is no point in discussing this matter anymore. Firefox users and add-on devs fought against Mozillas decission to drop legacy add-ons and a major part of browser functionality for a long time without any reasonable solution given by Mozilla. Every suggestion made Mozilla simply "WONTFIXED" and there is nothing we can do about. Firefox 57 will be released to the public in less than six weeks anyway. Let the public be the judge and tell Mozilla about what they think about it.

There were some discussions about this on Mozillazine you may want to look at: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3025513

By the way, you still can keep all your favorite add-ons when moving to Firefox ESR or Waterfox.

Many CTR features are working in userChrome.css, if you want to look at my signatures link.
rocco.xyz

Post by rocco.xyz »

Aris wrote:1. Fix non-livemark popups:

Code: Select all

.bookmark-item[livemark="true"] menupopup,
.bookmark-item[livemark="true"] menupopup menuitem {
  min-width: 600px !important;
}
2. Add a delay before hiding bookmarks toolbar

#PersonalToolbar {
  visibility:collapse !important;
  transition: visibility 2s linear 0.5s  !important;

}
#navigator-toolbox:hover >#PersonalToolbar {
  visibility:visible !important;
  transition: visibility 0s linear 0.5s  !important;
}
It worked.
I can't thank you enough, Aris! :)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

The current 58 nightly is actually very nice, it's snappy and feels lightweight. And this is with legacy addons enabled so I'm currently using both old and new addons. What I don't get is that the two obviously work well enough together so would it kill Mozilla to keep that ability in there for a few more versions at least to make the transition smoother?

Oh and it might be nice to stop with the "won't fix" and start working with developers who made the browser popular in the first place. Hate to say it but this whole way of going about it reeks of arrogance.
Aris

Post by Aris »

I think this would be a great idea. Allowing add-ons and webextensions being used simultaneously indefinitely would make Firefox the most powerful browser on the marked feature-wise, but it also would mean more maintaining from their side, a maintaining process they want to reduce to nothing. They even announced new webextension updates won't required editor validation anymore in the near future. Beware of getting spyware webextensions in the future. Those WEs will only have to fool AMOs add-ons validator while uploading.

Their lack of accepting any request in the last couple of month is kind of worrying. Looks like they do not want to spent time on anything these days. Even a very simple change like allowing default RSS button to be placed in location bar, a button that is by definition already a page action button and had to be there without asking, was "wontfixed" and outsourced to webextension devs. Their explanation was dumb like always and circumventive (too complex, not stable enough, no real developed for years, bla bla bla). So allowing the button on a toolbar is fine, but moving it to location bar causes problems, that is just bs, they should be ashamed of even giving such an answer. Saying a clear 'no' would at least have been honest. (This is just an example, I know there is a great webextension for this already: Awesome RSS).
Aris

Post by Aris »

I have uploaded the first release of userChrome.css tweaks for Firefox 57+ today.

'Classic' css tweaks for Firefox 57+ v1.0

[Tabs]
- classic squared tabs known from 'Classic Theme Restorer' add-on
- classic squared tabs 'australized' known from 'Classic Theme Restorer' add-on
- squred tabs: manually setable colors for unread/unloaded tabs
- tabs not on top: tabs below navigation and bookmarks toolbars

[Buttons]
- application/hamburger button popup: hide sync item
- application/hamburger button: move to navigation toolbars start
- application/hamburger button: orange button on navigation toolbar
- application/hamburger button: cheat button into Firefox titlebar
- application/hamburger button colors in Firefox titlebar: orange, Aurora, Nightly, Palemoon, transparent etc.
- classic button appearance for navigation toolbar buttons known from 'Classic Toolbar Buttons' add-on
- custom toolbar button icon colors
- custom icons known from 'Classic Toolbar Buttons' add-on (see instructions inside file)
- bookmarks toolbar: old buttons size
- bookmarks menu button: classic popup and custom button title on bookmarks toolbar (edit file to set custom title)
- bookmarks menu button popup: hide unneded menuitems
- forward button: hide when disabled
- back/forward buttons: custom appearance known from 'Classic Toolbar Buttons' add-on (large/small, Fx2/3, IE8/9 etc.)

[General UI]
- context menu: replace back, forward, reload etc. buttons with labels
- hide private mode indicators
- searchbar: hide + indicator from search glass
- searchbar popup: hide search engines 
- bookmarks: restore old colorful icons (folder, feed etc.)

[Toolbars]
- toolbars: old left and right padding
- toolbar colors: AeroBlue on Windows 7 / old gray color for all other OSs
- tabs toolbar tweaks: remove unneded spaces, reduce button sizes etc.
- bookmarks toolbar: old toolbar height
- navigation toolbar: more compact navigation toolbar (select compact mode first)
- toolbars in fullscreen mode (experimental): show toolbars

[Location Bar]
- smaller font size in compact mode
- colorized/replaced default icons: reader, star, action, dropmarker 
- identity box: space adjustments
- identity box: colors for secure/insecure connections
- identity box: custom padlock icons
- identity box: replace 'i'-icon with globe icon
- history dropmarker: always visible
- history dropmarker: at location bars end
- star button: last button / second last button,  if dropmarker is at the end
- autocomple popup: classic popup (sizes have to be set manually, see instructions inside file)
- autocomple popup: two lines, full size
- autocomple popup: show url only
- autocomple popup: show url only + show title on hover
[/size]

Basic instructions on how to use them can be found here: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx

A zipped archive containing everything so far can be found here: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx/releases

I know setting up everything will not be easy right away, but that's all what is possible right now.

Note
Don't think these CSS tweaks are bulletproof, Mozilla can kill userChrome.css at any time. Furthermore they are continuously working on almost every part of the ui. There are even changes between Firefox 57 beta and 58 Nightly, where some of the released code behaves differently for every version. There is no guarantee any of the above mentioned features will always work as expected.
Acid Crash

Post by Acid Crash »

Hi Aris,
Just checked your CSS mods for FF57+.
I can't express in words how happy and thankful I am
Absolutely brilliant work.
I knew that dealing with userChrome could be messy (especially because Stylish is out of FF57).
But your modular approach just made it a lot easier.

Thank You Very much for this customization Gem!

BTW. Could you please take a look at this tread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/com ... valdilike/
Pretty interesting idea IMHO.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it working right.
Still I think that you skill and knowledge cloud be sufficient to get it work right. If this is doable maybe you consider adding such feature for your package.
Last edited by Acid Crash on October 7th, 2017, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Wow, thanks Aris, excellent !
@Anyone using the Stylish Web 'replacement' Stylus for userChrome ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Acid Crash wrote:Hi Aris,
Just checked your CSS mods for FF57+.
I can't express in words how how happy and thankful I am
Absolutely brilliant work.
I knew that dealing with userChrome could be messy (especially because Stylish is out of FF57).
But your modular approach just made it a loot easier.

Thank You Very much for this customization Gem!

BTW. Could you please take a look at this tread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/com ... valdilike/
Pretty interesting idea IMHO.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it working right.
Still I think that you skill and knowledge cloud be sufficient to get it work right. If this is doable maybe you consider adding such feature for your package.

While this is easily done for default autocomplete popup (full window width), most values have to be set manually, if you want this for the popup attached to location bar (classic version). There is no way in CSS to detect the width of an item/element like location bar, so you have to set a fixed width manually. Not sure, if that is what you are looking for, but I suggest to go with default popup as it adjusts everything automatically. I will add a style for it soon.

mightyglydd wrote:Wow, thanks Aris, excellent !
@Anyone using the Stylish Web 'replacement' Stylus for userChrome ?
As far as I know WEs can not access userChrome. Stylus is only for websites.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Webextension are not allowed to access anything in firefox that way. if an extension wants to show cookies it need to use its own dialog, no access to about-pages. and only one button per extension.

bm'd your collection, thank you, i will investigate. and set a link in my prefered forum.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Aris wrote:As far as I know WEs can not access userChrome. Stylus is only for websites.
Removed, useless, thanks.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Acid Crash

Post by Acid Crash »

Aris wrote: While this is easily done for default autocomplete popup (full window width), most values have to be set manually, if you want this for the popup attached to location bar (classic version). There is no way in CSS to detect the width of an item/element like location bar, so you have to set a fixed width manually. Not sure, if that is what you are looking for, but I suggest to go with default popup as it adjusts everything automatically. I will add a style for it soon.
https://i.imgur.com/vI3qlfe.png
Hi Aris,
Thx for the quick reply. Not sure though that I fully understand the names of these version names (classic and default)
My idea was as follows.
Autocomplete popup has default width (full window width), URL label and URL title is divided into two sections. For the sake of example let just say that URL label takes 60% of full popup width and URL title takes 40%.
This could improve search of information when you are trying to focus only on URL title(or just URL).
Also thso two items are swapped, URL label comes first and URL title comes after (to leave the actual URL bar input area on same "vertical column" as the search results).
Lastly those proportions should be responsive and remain the same if window is resized (eg do not rely on static dimensions). As an alternative/or if width is too small maybe @media (max-width: bla-bla) could help.
Just in case here is visual explanation.

P.S. for the simplicity I'm omitting other elements like icons and favicons but I do understand that they take some width too.
hopalongrock

Post by hopalongrock »

Hello, this my first post here:

I waited for 'Classic' css tweaks, because I wanted to place tabs below navigation and bookmarks toolbars and the solution I found on the net causes the following small issue:

When I drag a tab from the tab bar, the URL bar, the bookmarks toolbar and the tab bar temporarily - for the time of dragging - jump up about half covering the menu bar.

I tried only
@import url(./css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css);

from the userchrome.css, but this causes the same issue.

Is any solution for this ?
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Yeah, everything shifting up when moving a tab is kinda weird when putting tabs on bottom in 57.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Acid Crash wrote:...
Hi Aris,
Thx for the quick reply. Not sure though that I fully understand the names of these version names (classic and default)
My idea was as follows.
Autocomplete popup has default width (full window width), URL label and URL title is divided into two sections. For the sake of example let just say that URL label takes 60% of full popup width and URL title takes 40%.
This could improve search of information when you are trying to focus only on URL title(or just URL).
Also thso two items are swapped, URL label comes first and URL title comes after (to leave the actual URL bar input area on same "vertical column" as the search results).
Lastly those proportions should be responsive and remain the same if window is resized (eg do not rely on static dimensions). As an alternative/or if width is too small maybe @media (max-width: bla-bla) could help.
Just in case here is visual explanation.
https://i.paste.pics/0c22bbc2159fc1b15e ... f57173.png

P.S. for the simplicity I'm omitting other elements like icons and favicons but I do understand that they take some width too.
Things work like you think, title and url can switch positions.
You do not need @media width rules (at least not for the default popup). Viewport css code adjusts everything automatically once you change window size. 100% window width = 100vw. Title and url width gets calculated like this: (popup width - icon space) / 2 = width of title and width of url. The 100px cover the icons and tags areas, so title/url won't move out of the popup.

It works like this:
width: calc((100vw - 100px)/2) !important;

I will upload new CSS files soon.

hopalongrock wrote:Hello, this my first post here:

I waited for 'Classic' css tweaks, because I wanted to place tabs below navigation and bookmarks toolbars and the solution I found on the net causes the following small issue:

When I drag a tab from the tab bar, the URL bar, the bookmarks toolbar and the tab bar temporarily - for the time of dragging - jump up about half covering the menu bar.

I tried only
@import url(./css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css);

from the userchrome.css, but this causes the same issue.

Is any solution for this ?
MarkRH wrote:Yeah, everything shifting up when moving a tab is kinda weird when putting tabs on bottom in 57.
I will fix tab moving issue soon.

Try this for now:

/* remove 'dragging tab' margin/padding nonsense */
#TabsToolbar[movingtab] {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
}

#TabsToolbar[movingtab] > .tabbrowser-tabs {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
  margin-bottom: unset !important;
}

#TabsToolbar[movingtab] + #nav-bar {
  margin-top: unset !important;
}
Acid Crash

Post by Acid Crash »

Aris wrote: Things work like you think, title and url can switch positions.
Great news! Take your time)
Thx in advance.
Last edited by Acid Crash on October 7th, 2017, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.