[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mooms

Re: [EXT] S3.Translator

Post by mooms »

DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

I would really like to be able to get a version that will run in Thunderbird 68.0. Version 5.38 worked fine and was great in Thunderbird 60.8.0, but is just auto-disabled and marked as being 'incompatible with Thunderbird 68.0".
László

Post by László »

DavidGB wrote:I would really like to be able to get a version that will run in Thunderbird 68.0. Version 5.38 worked fine and was great in Thunderbird 60.8.0, but is just auto-disabled and marked as being 'incompatible with Thunderbird 68.0".
+1 Me too. I would also like to.
Brian E Clough

Post by Brian E Clough »

There seems to be a problem with translating whole pages from Japanese to English. Most text gets translated into barely understandable "Engrish", but if I click on "contribute a better translation", the text that comes up is far more understandable.

For example, for the sentence:

集電装置 には、小型化して空気 抵抗 を小さくするため、 1959年 (昭和34年)に クモヤ93000 で現車による175 km/h 運転を含む 実用 試験を実施した上で、下枠交差型パンタグラフが初めて採用された。

...the "translate page" result shows:

"Current collector , the air miniaturized resistance to reduce the, 1959 in (1959) clouds 93000 containing 175 miles / h operation with the current car in practical in terms of the test was carried out, the lower frame crossover pantograph There was first adopted."

...but when I click on "Contribute better translation", it shows:

"In order to reduce the air resistance by reducing the size of the current collector, in 1959, the Kumoya 93000 conducted a practical test including 175 km / h operation with the current vehicle, and then the lower frame crossed pantograph. Was adopted for the first time."

Why can't S3 use this better translation by default?

Also, what happens to the "better translation" contributions?

S3 seems to keep using the old translation no matter how many times I submit the better text. I visit many pages regularly, and I always see the same (bad) translation on each of them.
musin

Post by musin »

On Firefox Developer 71 S3.Translator doesn't work anymore!
When I try to translate a highlighted text, a white box appears instead of the translation window.
Please, is it possible to solve this problem in any way?
grahamperrin

S3.Translator 6.25 with Waterfox Classic and Firefox Quantum

Post by grahamperrin »

S3.Translator 6.25 with Waterfox Classic and Firefox Quantum

S3.Translator - Add-ons / Add-on Support - Mozilla Discourse

tl;dr the recipe comprises:
  • an extension for Firefox that probably never involved remote code execution
  • a Chromium-compatible extension that's served by Google.
tallguyyo

Post by tallguyyo »

Brian E Clough wrote:There seems to be a problem with translating whole pages from Japanese to English. Most text gets translated into barely understandable "Engrish", but if I click on "contribute a better translation", the text that comes up is far more understandable.

For example, for the sentence:

集電装置 には、小型化して空気 抵抗 を小さくするため、 1959年 (昭和34年)に クモヤ93000 で現車による175 km/h 運転を含む 実用 試験を実施した上で、下枠交差型パンタグラフが初めて採用された。

...the "translate page" result shows:

"Current collector , the air miniaturized resistance to reduce the, 1959 in (1959) clouds 93000 containing 175 miles / h operation with the current car in practical in terms of the test was carried out, the lower frame crossover pantograph There was first adopted."

...but when I click on "Contribute better translation", it shows:

"In order to reduce the air resistance by reducing the size of the current collector, in 1959, the Kumoya 93000 conducted a practical test including 175 km / h operation with the current vehicle, and then the lower frame crossed pantograph. Was adopted for the first time."

Why can't S3 use this better translation by default?

Also, what happens to the "better translation" contributions?

S3 seems to keep using the old translation no matter how many times I submit the better text. I visit many pages regularly, and I always see the same (bad) translation on each of them.
where do you see this "Contribute better translation". when I use s3 translator, only a top bar and I dont see it anywhere.
tallguyyo

Post by tallguyyo »

today an error came up on one of the website, when i use s3.translator to translate the page it shows:
"Error: The server could not complete your request. Try again later."

every other website works fine except this site, how can we fix this? @pag77
dukdukgoos

Post by dukdukgoos »

S3.Translator has been completely blocked in Firefox due to security violation!

https://blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/eac7bf1 ... a1ce8.html
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

So I take it that at least with respect to Thunderbird S3.Translator is now abandonware? I asked in this thread on this page in August, and a number of other people have asked in various places since, but there has been absolutely no response.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DavidGB wrote:So I take it that at least with respect to Thunderbird S3.Translator is now abandonware? I asked in this thread on this page in August, and a number of other people have asked in various places since, but there has been absolutely no response.
It's now noresponseware.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TheSa|nt

Post by TheSa|nt »

Well, this is too bad. I REALLY liked this plugin and used it a LOT. I have contacts that send me info all of the time from places like France, and it made things so much easier to make sense of it all. Now, it's copy and paste into other windows/programs to translate things to get an idea of what the heck is going on. It's fine in normal situations but not with the amount of email I respond to. Doh.

Hopefully, someone (somewhere) develops a solution similar to this where Thunderbird can translate the text. It would be nice to have something native to Thunderbird that can do things the way Google Chrome can automatically translate/change the text on the screen. "Hey, I noticed you have non-(yourlanguage) text here. Would you like me to translate it?"
Centauri39

Post by Centauri39 »

What alternative am I supposed to use now?
I cannot find any other one where the bubble works on my Linux Mint 19.2 MATE 64 bit.

Is there any way to enable this add-on anyway?
There is no other one working so well.
Thomas.Weber

Post by Thomas.Weber »

so those idiots @mozilla can tell me what addons i should use or not? a warning would be enough, seriously.

it's actually a shame they check all the time which addons we use.
Last edited by Thomas.Weber on December 10th, 2019, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

I'm not bothered about Firefox, where there are any number of alternatives and I didn't use S3 anyway - I use 'Google Translator for Firefox' extension and/or a Google Translate link in ContextSearch web-ext. I AM bothered about Thunderbird, where there is no alternative at all - not one.