[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] S3.Translator

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:I wonder if there is a workaround to treat main page and the popup page as 2 separate pages? So translate them both? Note, the popup page is usually open by certain user actions after the main page is already translated, so it might be possible to treat the popup as a "new page" to translate?
unfortunately I can not do this
zamar27 wrote:I'll also report the bug on Google Products forum, this is the 1st time I noticed it, and they should definitely fix it given how important this translation subject is for Google, and how long is their staff lineup. :) But it may take ages with Google to fix anything.
what exactly did you say?
my extension use this plugin: http://translate.google.com/manager/website/add
so you need to report the problem specifically for this plugin
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

I can only voice it in user terms. But you can comment in that thread too using programmer terms, since the topic is quite important for everyone. I also send the bug report to GT devs by clicking Send Feedback link at the bottom of this page, as suggested on that forum.

I amended my report about S3 6.7 can't be positioned around a webpage, not sure if you read it. Its possibly linked to Windows Display zoom setting. Just keep in mind, many people now use 4K displays, so they zoom display when browsing the web to 150% for readability, but use 100% zoom for more accurate work like CAD & Photoshop.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:I amended my report about S3 6.7 can't be positioned around a webpage, not sure if you read it. Its possibly linked to Windows Display zoom setting. Just keep in mind, many people now use 4K displays, so they zoom display when browsing the web to 150% for readability, but use 100% zoom for more accurate work like CAD & Photoshop.
ok, your current settings: Windows Zoom - 100%, Browser Zoom - 100%, WebSite Page Zoom (Ctrl + "+" ; Ctrl + "-") - 150%, S3.Translator - Use web page zoom: No ?
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:I just checked your suggestions about Zoom. When changing Zoom to None in S3 settings, it just becomes too small popup. Chrome is set to 100% zoom, but I use 4K display, and its zoom and resolution are set in Windows Display settings that are abide by most modern programs, including Chrome. For viewing webpages Display is set to 4K at 150% zoom, since 4K reso text is way too small. I also switched off all other Chrome extensions one by one, and S3 v6.7 behavior did not change, its still impossible to position on the page. Note, that v6.6 still positions properly at the same display settings, and with all other Chrome extensions remain enabled. May be you need to check Display zoom too when changing S3 Popup zoom, not only webpage or browser zoom?
I was able to reproduce your problem!
please check version 6.10

version 6.10
Mozilla Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3google-translator/
Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nflopdohjk

changes:
fixed: zooming
fixed: minor bug fixes
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

@pag77

I just updated to S3 6.9, and it can be positioned very easily in Chrome with small CPU load. Thanks! :) However, in Firefox 58 latest beta, S3 6.9 dragging around the screen raises FF CPU load to 24% on my system, and its jumpy, not smooth. Despite FF is based on Chrome core now, there are some apparent JS processing differences. Overall your extension is more convenient than using Google Translate webpage or plugin, and has more features. Its faster to use it with 3rd party chat programs too for chat translation back-n-force. Hope you'll add some smarts to popup "open - close" behavior soon. Note, my Windows PC crashed while S3 6.9 was open and I tried to Save this message on the forum in Chrome, though I can't positively link S3 to this crash. FF was running at that time too, so it may be resource related.

P.S. Just checked S3 6.10, and it seems to be working normally as expected. My current zoom: Windows Display - 150, browser - 100%, S3 - same as browser. Will try to experiment with zoom settings. The reason Display zoom is set to 150% is some 3d party programs show very small text and pics in the UI at 4K resolution, they don't scale UI correctly. So 100% 4K display zoom is mostly useful for CAD & Photoshop etc.

For issues like above, can you suggest how to stop auto extension updates in Chrome? I tried to changed the update URL, and set Manifest.json or even the entire ext folder to Read Only, but S3 still updates upon Chrome relaunch. :wink:
Last edited by zamar27 on November 26th, 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:My current zoom: Windows Display - 150, browser - 100%, S3 - same as browser
yes, I guessed and that's why I was able to fix your zoom-problem :)
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Found a small bug of the new 3-choice Show Popup feature:
- when you open S3 popup with default "Do not close" option #2 on one webpage, and then switch to another Tab, open S3 and change its option to "Use shared" #3, then return back to the previous Tab, it will show two S3 popups. A solution may be to Close all open popups in other Tabs, when the Show Popup option is changed to #3 in a new Tab. But the Tab Popup History will be lost. Better solution is to auto change the Show Popup option to #3 in all Tabs where its currently open, when its changed to #3 in one Tab.

Feature Request: (enhances my earlier Add Input History request) 8-)
- S3 Popup open in a Tab should preserve Text Input History and Language Choice History for that Tab only. When switching to another Tab, S3 Popup should show only Input History and Languages Pair relevant to that Tab. Currently it just shows last input regardless of Tab content.

-------------------------------

Question:
- How to see an entered world or phrase multiple translation variants, so you can select the most relevant or accurate one?

Feature Request:
- add a button to Show Synonyms & Antonyms for an entered word. :shock: Its very important to choose the right words with the most accurate meaning, when writing in a foreign language.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:- when you open S3 popup with default "Do not close" option #2 on one webpage, and then switch to another Tab, open S3 and change its option to "Use shared" #3, then return back to the previous Tab, it will show two S3 popups. A solution may be to Close all open popups in other Tabs, when the Show Popup option is changed to #3 in a new Tab. But the Tab Popup History will be lost. Better solution is to auto change the Show Popup option to #3 in all Tabs where its currently open, when its changed to #3 in one Tab.
you do so?
1. open tab-1 and open fly-box-1 in tab-1, set "Do not close"
2. open tab-2 and open fly-box-2 in tab-2, set "shared"
3. return back to tab-1 and see fly-box-1 and fly-box-2
4. return back to tab-2 and see only fly-box-2

this is the correct behavior!

zamar27 wrote:Feature Request: (enhances my earlier Add Input History request) 8-)
- S3 Popup open in a Tab should preserve Text Input History and Language Choice History for that Tab only. When switching to another Tab, S3 Popup should show only Input History and Languages Pair relevant to that Tab. Currently it just shows last input regardless of Tab content.
thank you for your suggestions
zamar27 wrote:- How to see an entered world or phrase multiple translation variants, so you can select the most relevant or accurate one?
click to translation phrases
zamar27 wrote:- add a button to Show Synonyms & Antonyms for an entered word. :shock: Its very important to choose the right words with the most accurate meaning, when writing in a foreign language.
thank you, I'll add this feature to work plan
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote: this is the correct behavior!
It may be currently, but more intelligent behavior would be to allow only one panel per webpage. :?

The" multiple translation versions" method you shown works for me only with direct translation of a text copied from a webpage. But can it work with "reverse translation" of a phrase I typed into S3 box, when trying to find the most accurate phrase to write in a foreign language? I type a phrase in French, then select part of it and see alternative versions of that phrase with somewhat varied meaning in English, then select the most relevant version? Now I can verify reverse translation in 3-box panel, but no alternative or "better" phrase versions are suggested.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:
pag77 wrote: this is the correct behavior!
It may be currently, but more intelligent behavior would be to allow only one panel per webpage. :?
sorry, but it's impossible
zamar27 wrote:The" multiple translation versions" method you shown works for me only with direct translation of a text copied from a webpage. But can it work with "reverse translation" of a phrase I typed into S3 box, when trying to find the most accurate phrase to write in a foreign language? I type a phrase in French, then select part of it and see alternative versions of that phrase with somewhat varied meaning in English, then select the most relevant version? Now I can verify reverse translation in 3-box panel, but no alternative or "better" phrase versions are suggested.
sorry, but I did not understand you
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Xmmm, currently S3 doesn't create a new popup, when returning to a tab where the popup is already open, when Show #2 switch is On. So why this behavior can't be extended to Show #3 option? Not sure how its implemented now, but its possible to add website URLs to local storage for tabs where S3 is currently open, and check that URL list when switching to another tab.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

del
Last edited by pag77 on November 29th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Feature request: add menu option "Automatically translate all sites with this language". It would ideally be added to options list, when clicking on a browser toolbar button.

This feature is needed for Firefox and other browsers except Chrome, since they don't have Autotranslate option in Settings. So what happen, every time one opens a webpage with a slightly changed URL even on the same domain, S3 doesn't translate it. Since large eCommerce sites in particular usually have a great variety of URL subdomains, it makes working with S3 in Firefox problematic, since there is positively no way to add each such URL version to the list of auto translated pages, and they are all HTTPS. The key here is adding site LANGUAGE as key criteria, not URL. "Automatic detection" option doesn't seem to work, at least on HTTPS pages, if that's what its for.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:Feature request: add menu option "Automatically translate all sites with this language". It would ideally be added to options list, when clicking on a browser toolbar button.

This feature is needed for Firefox and other browsers except Chrome, since they don't have Autotranslate option in Settings. So what happen, every time one opens a webpage with a slightly changed URL even on the same domain, S3 doesn't translate it. Since large eCommerce sites in particular usually have a great variety of URL subdomains, it makes working with S3 in Firefox problematic, since there is positively no way to add each such URL version to the list of auto translated pages, and they are all HTTPS. The key here is adding site LANGUAGE as key criteria, not URL. "Automatic detection" option doesn't seem to work, at least on HTTPS pages, if that's what its for.
"Automatically translate all sites with this language" - this is the same as automatic detection
and it is not allowed to make for https for your security, because the text from the https-page (gmail, account bank, etc) can be automatically sent to google
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote:it is not allowed to make for https for your security
Understood. In this case, is it possible to add Site Exemptions List option to Automatic Detection, so users can keep adding HTTPS domains (not websites) they want S3 to auto translate? For example, all eCommerce domains (including each of their subdomains and webpages) are HTTPS upon login. But without translation most people from abroad won't be able to buy anything. Are you saying, HTTPS websites content is send to Google Translate in an insecure manner? Even in this case, it should be up to user's choice on "risk vs benefit" basis. Besides, most eCommerce sites open a specific webpage with payment interface, and on that https page a user would block translation (they can translate it once without payment to understand the content).

S3 can possibly use approach suggested here for translating https content, i.e. sending to //translate.google.com/ OR https://translate.google.com/.