[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MPC-BE

Re: [EXT] S3.Translator

Post by MPC-BE »

pag77 wrote:
MPC-BE wrote:Hi, my problem (with umatrix and ublock and automatic translation) someone else?: http://i.pi.gy/Bq4WJ.gif
Thank you!
Your s3.translator version?
Thank for answer, s3 version 6.12, firefox 32 bit (new profile), win 7 ultimate sp 1 x86
pag77

Post by pag77 »

MPC-BE wrote:
pag77 wrote:
MPC-BE wrote:Hi, my problem (with umatrix and ublock and automatic translation) someone else?: http://i.pi.gy/Bq4WJ.gif
Thank you!
Your s3.translator version?
Thank for answer, s3 version 6.12, firefox 32 bit (new profile), win 7 ultimate sp 1 x86
I reproduced your problem.
Thank you!
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3goog ... ws/992660/

you accuse me of what I did not do and you did not provide facts and evidence!
I hope you understand that you are criminally responsible for libel?

pag77

Post by pag77 »

MPC-BE wrote: Thank for answer, s3 version 6.12, firefox 32 bit (new profile), win 7 ultimate sp 1 x86
Please test this version:
1. download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5anq9powtgcv ... r-6.12.xpi
2. in addres bar: about:debugging#addons
3. click button: load temp addon
4. set s3translator-6.12.xpi
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

@pag77

Your add-on was user reviewed as encouraged by the Addon Web Stores, and also reported to Chrome and Firefox addon security teams for further investigation. I ask you again about the following:

- allow a user in addon menu to stop active monitoring on any site. Do not monitor user input on sites or languages, which user did not request the addon to translate;
- allow a user to opt out in the addon settings from collecting and sending to 3rd parties user stats data regardless of content.

The claimed purpose of your addon is website and text translation. Hence, there is absolutely no need for it to monitor user input and clipboard content on sites, which user did not ask to translate. It violates Chrome and Firefox Addon Developer Agreements, since the addon description misrepresents its scope, and several other clauses of the Agreements. As well, the addon collects user browsing stats and sends it to 3rd parties without user knowledge and consent. You deny users right to opt out of such monitoring and collection in current v6.12 and earlier addon releases Settings. I hope you will voluntary provide the above 2 options in Settings. Any your explanations can NOT replace the above 2 user privacy and security options in the addon Settings. Every time you're asked to honor user privacy and security choices by providing 2 above options, you switch the subject to unrelated matters.

Last edited by zamar27 on November 30th, 2017, 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MPC-BE

Post by MPC-BE »

pag77 wrote:
MPC-BE wrote: Thank for answer, s3 version 6.12, firefox 32 bit (new profile), win 7 ultimate sp 1 x86
1. download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5anq9powtgcv ... r-6.12.xpi
2. in addres bar: about:debugging#addons
3. click button: load temp addon
4. set s3translator-6.12.xpi
Oh! now working! good!
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:@pag77

Your add-on was user reviewed as encouraged by the Addon Stores, and also reported to Chrome and Firefox addon security teams for further investigation. I ask you again about the following:

- allow a user to stop active monitoring on sites, which the user did not request the addon to translate;
- allow a user to opt out in the addon settings from collecting and sending to 3rd parties user stats data regardless of content.

The claimed purpose of your addon is website and text translation. Hence, there is absolutely no need for it to monitor user input and clipboard content on sites, which user did not ask to translate. It violates Chrome and Firefox Addon Developer Agreements, since the addon description misrepresents its scope, and several other clauses of the Agreements. As well, the addon collects user browsing stats and sends it to 3rd parties without user knowledge and consent. You deny users right to opt out of such monitoring and collection in current v6.12 and earlier addon releases Settings. I hope you will voluntary provide the above 2 options in Settings. Any your explanations can NOT replace the above 2 user privacy and security options in the addon Settings.
  • Privacy Policy - A link to privacy policy is always available and any user can read it:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... r/privacy/
    http://www.s3blog.org/s3translator/privacy.html
  • before installing any extension: from the user are always waiting for a answer - he agrees with extensions permissions?
    and user can always continue / cancel the installation

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    About Permissions for S3.Translator:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

> Access your data for all websites
    > Access browser tabs
    > Access browser activity during navigation

for translations web-sites, for translation selected text, for showing fly-translate-window

> Get data from the clipboard

for translate text from clipboard

> Input data to the clipboard

for copy text

> Display notifications to you

for notify after copy text

> Store unlimited amount of client-side data

for store a extension settings

> Download files and read and modify the browser’s download history

for backup (save and load) your preferences
  • Advertising/Collection of statistics
    This feature is disabled by default and request for "Advertising/Collection of statistics" displays once in a lifetime.
    Only the user makes a decision: enable/disable this feature!
  • My extension does not steal, do not sniff, will not save any user data without user's request!
  • My extension does not transfer any personal data, except for the domain!
    Addon does not collect cookies, does not collect passwords, does not collect e-mails or any other confidential info.
    Only the domains (not full URLs) of the web-sites visited and nothing else.
    And only If user consent is given!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+domain
  • I develop extensions voluntarily, my extensions are free, no one has the right to force me to perform this or that part in my extension!
    Only I can make decisions about what changes in my work plan are more important!
    and if I believe that your proposal is a waste of time, then this item in my work plan will be the most recent
  • it seems to me that you have a strong paranoia :)
PS:
instead of scolding, would you rather explain where this screenshot comes from?
and why did not you show this screenshot before?
can you give a link to this web page?
the extension has a lock for processing fields that contain passwords:

Code: Select all

s3gt.utils.search_selected = function(event, is_html) {
			if (focusedElement && (focusedElement != null) && (focusedElement.type != 'password')) {
pag77

Post by pag77 »

MPC-BE wrote:
pag77 wrote:Please test this version:
Oh! now working! good!
Thank you for the good news! :)
Please wait for the new official version in the coming days!
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote: would you rather explain where this screenshot comes from?
This came from a major random bank site, and I can further check if its the same on other bank sites I heard of. If you read carefully the last 10+ forum pages, all I wanted is to help you make the addon better. I have nothing personally against you or this addon, provided it honors user privacy and security rights. You can open any large international bank website and check it there.

Yes, the user is informed at install about requested by the addon permissions. But the addon does not inform users, how exactly these permissions will be used, for what purpose. It declares scope, which is more narrow compare to what it actually does. I never expected or consciously given your program any permission to continuously monitor my input on sites that I do not need translated, and neither given direct permission to send my browsing stats to 3rd parties. Those permissions are not implied by the above approval at install, because the addon scope is not fully disclosed.

All I ask you is to provide user with 2 above options in your addon menu and settings. Of course they should not be for decorative purposes, but in fact do what they claim. It makes sense to be more forthcoming in view of incoming Firefox addon security project.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:This came from a major random bank site, and I can further check if its the same on other bank sites I heard of. If you read carefully the last 10+ forum pages, all I wanted is to help you make the addon better. I have nothing personally against you or this addon, provided it honors user privacy and security rights. You can open any large international bank website and check it there.
I checked a few sites and nowhere see your problem - my addon completely ignores all the fields containing the password
or your site uses a simple text field and a password-points generates using javascript
or you are misleading me and your picture is a banal photoshop
Please give a link to your problem site.
zamar27 wrote:Yes, the user is informed at install about requested by the addon permissions. But the addon does not inform users, how exactly these permissions will be used, for what purpose. It declares scope, which is more narrow compare to what it actually does. I never expected or consciously given your program any permission to continuously monitor my input on sites that I do not need translated, and neither given direct permission to send my browsing stats to 3rd parties. Those permissions are not implied by the above approval at install, because the addon scope is not fully disclosed.
Addon Description:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3google-translator/
zamar27 wrote:All I ask you is to provide user with 2 above options in your addon menu and settings. Of course they should not be for decorative purposes, but in fact do what they claim. It makes sense to be more forthcoming in view of incoming Firefox addon security project.
I will not do it because it's pointless!
Firstly - my addon does not spy!
Secondly - I hope you are an intelligent person and understand that if the addon is not disabled through the browser settings - then this addon is enabled!
Extension can tell you that it is disabled, but in fact there are always hidden mechanisms that can would steal your information and you will never notice this actions!

There is a million extensions of all kinds - why do you require this meaningless button only from me?
You can write a petition and force all authors for all extensions to add this button
Please let me know when such a button will appears absolutely on all extensions :)
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote:why do you require this meaningless button only from me?
You don't know that, and the opposite is true. I believe WebExtension design guidelines must be reviewed for better user privacy and security, and share this view quite actively with the right people. And I'm not alone. As to your addon, I found it quite useful as said earlier, but simply don't want it to monitor and interfere with my work on sites where I don't need translation. It really is not personal. Yes, plenty of addons exist, but many of them aren't worse time to discuss, while those on a better side makes sense to further improve. :wink: Note, only limited number of addons need to communicate user content over web, so the scope is not that broad as you incline, and security is paramount namely in these cases. I don't mind you earning cash on your addon, but that should be voluntary explicitly permitted by users, not forced behind their back. For example, look at popular Browsec addon: why it allows to switch it On and Off, and your addon performing somewhat similar content transmission function does not?

As to banking and other high security sites, you really did very poor research. I can post an unlimited number of such screenshots from various random banks around the Globe, and all you will say its one endless Photoshop project? [-X

Last edited by zamar27 on November 30th, 2017, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:As to banking and other high security sites, you really did very poor research work. I can post an unlimited number of such screenshots from various random banks around the Globe, and all you will say its one endless Photoshop project?
Yes, I already found your problem:
zamar27 wrote:Image
I found your site:
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/personal.html
click in the upper right corner on the button "Sign In":

The next page will be your form:

but the mini buttons of my extension do not appear when you select a password.
do not appear in Firefox.
but in GoogleChrome for some reason there is this problem, it looks like there's a bug in the Chrome browser.
I'm already looking for ways to solve this problem

that's the whole debate - we were looking for a mistake looking at different systems - I'm on Jupiter, and you're on Mars :)
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote:
zamar27 wrote: I found your site...
Of course, its part of your addon "anonymous" collected and transmitted user data. :-"
pag77

Post by pag77 »

PS:
and you were in vain panicked - if you click on the translation button or the copy button, you would see that GoogleChrome, instead of your password, gives only a few points:

PPS:
I fixed the problem in Google Chrome
1. download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5anq9powtgcv ... r-6.12.zip
2. unpack s3translator-6.12.zip
2. in GoogleChrome addres bar: chrome://extensions/
3. set (*) Developer Mode , click "Load unpacked extensions" , and select directory s3translator-6.12.xpi

PPPS:
zamar27 wrote:Of course, its part of your addon "anonymous" collected and transmitted user data. :-"
No! :D
url from your image: http://oi66.tinypic.com/28gv5zl.jpg
open google: search by images: https://www.google.com/imghp?tab=wi
set your link image
search!

search result:
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27
if you are so scared, then open your important sites (mail, banks, etc.) in incognito mode
Extensions do not work in this mode and no one behind you peeps