Replacement for Extension List Dumper?

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
RobertJ

Re: Replacement for Extension List Dumper?

Post by RobertJ »

dmccunney wrote:That's easily fixed through Customize. It can be placed elsewhere.

Unfortunately not on the add-ons page. :cry:

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

RobertJ wrote:
dmccunney wrote:That's easily fixed through Customize. It can be placed elsewhere.

Unfortunately not on the add-ons page. :cry:

No, because Customize only lets you put icons on a toolbar.

Since ELD works again with Chris00001's fix, you still have the accustomed behavior in the Addons page.

There are a couple of different extensions that bring back the Addons bar. The one I use, that lets me put the Addons bar in the URL bar, works just as well when I'm in the Addons page as anywhere else (though with ELD back, I have no reason to invoke ALD from there.)

With both ELD and ALD installed, I get the best of both worlds - the behavior I'm used to, and the ability to do the same thing from anywhere else without having to open the Addons page. I can live with the overhead of two extensions that do the same thing but are invoked in different manners.

I suspect ALD shares a lot of ELD's code, and it might be interesting to see if they could be merged and get what is effectively ELD that can also be invoked from an icon on a toolbar.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

dmccunney wrote:
Daledoc1 wrote:Interesting that it would be such an easy fix.

But I stashed a copy of the changed XPI on my Google Drive, with the version bumped to 1.15.3.:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMy9N ... sp=sharing

You should be able to grab and install that.

Sincere apologies for the late reply -- I have been off the grid.

Your tweaked version of ELD works great!

Thanks VERY much!

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Daledoc1 wrote:
dmccunney wrote:Interesting that it would be such an easy fix.

But I stashed a copy of the changed XPI on my Google Drive, with the version bumped to 1.15.3.:

Sincere apologies for the late reply -- I have been off the grid.

Your tweaked version of ELD works great!

Well, not my version, precisely. Say thanks to Chris00001, who documented the change required. I just applied his fix to a local copy, and put it on my Google Drive to share with you.

Thanks VERY much!

You're very welcome. ELD was a crucial tool in my kit, and I was delighted to discover an easy way to make it work,

Enjoy!
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

Thank you @dmccunney for mentioning also the new ALD addon. I think I like it better than ELD because the addons list can be ordered by install date.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... startless/
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

LL25255252 wrote:Thank you @dmccunney for mentioning also the new ALD addon. I think I like it better than ELD because the addons list can be ordered by install date.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... startless/

Ed1 was the original mentioner. I took a look on the Addons site for something that could replace ELD, but it didn't turn up in a search. I was delighted to hear about it.

ELD will let you have the install date as one of the fields in it's output, but won't let you order the list by that date, so that's a nice plus for ALD.

As mentioned, I have both installed here.
______
Dennis
nolanvode

Post by nolanvode »

dmccunney wrote:
Daledoc1 wrote:Interesting that it would be such an easy fix.

Is there a solution for those of us who are just homer users?

You mean, a copy of the XPI with the fix applied?

It's actually easy to do. An XPI file is a Zip archive. I keep copies of the XPI files for things I use in a Mozilla folder, and install them via "Install from file". I used 7zip to open the XPI, edited the JavaScript file where the fix is made, saved it back into the XPI archive, and installed the modified XPI.

Thanks for making it so easy for us to get ELD back.

I'd like to mention one small/minor thing that may clear up possible confusion for some.

When you install the "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" provided by dmccunney, it works just fine, but it will still show as version 1.15.2, because the install.rdf inside the .xpi file was not edited to reflect the version change

If you want to change it, this is very simple to do. Use 7zip to "open" the "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" file (not the installed extension). Then open "install.rdf" and look fore the line
<em:version>1.15.2</em:version>

and simply change it to
<em:version>1.15.3</em:version>

Then intall "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" and restart. You don't have to uninstall the previous one
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

nolanvode wrote:I'd like to mention one small/minor thing that may clear up possible confusion for some.

When you install the "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" provided by dmccunney, it works just fine, but it will still show as version 1.15.2, because the install.rdf inside the .xpi file was not edited to reflect the version change

If you want to change it, this is very simple to do. Use 7zip to "open" the "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" file (not the installed extension). Then open "install.rdf" and look fore the line
<em:version>1.15.2</em:version>

and simply change it to

Then intall "extension_list_dumper-1.15.3-fx+tb+sb.xpi" and restart. You don't have to uninstall the previous one

Which is something I should have done when I made the fix on my copy. I've diddled install.rdf files before to address compatibility issues.

I updated the copy on my Google Drive, here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMy9N ... sp=sharing

Thanks for the nudge.
______
Dennis
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

After updating to FF31, it rendered the extension as not compatible again. I went into the install.rdf and made the version 1.5.3 and changed the name to "Extension List Dumper (self tweaked)" I also changed the maxed version to 37+ (just added the "3"). Reinstalled and it's working again with FF31. I had already made the aforementioned change to get it working with FF30.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

MarkRH wrote:After updating to FF31, it rendered the extension as not compatible again. I went into the install.rdf and made the version 1.5.3 and changed the name to "Extension List Dumper (self tweaked)" I also changed the maxed version to 37+ (just added the "3"). Reinstalled and it's working again with FF31. I had already made the aforementioned change to get it working with FF30.

You may be going through more trouble than you have to. I run an extension called Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks which does what the name says. See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... atibility/
______
Dennis
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

dmccunney wrote:
MarkRH wrote:After updating to FF31, it rendered the extension as not compatible again. I went into the install.rdf and made the version 1.5.3 and changed the name to "Extension List Dumper (self tweaked)" I also changed the maxed version to 37+ (just added the "3"). Reinstalled and it's working again with FF31. I had already made the aforementioned change to get it working with FF30.

You may be going through more trouble than you have to. I run an extension called Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks which does what the name says. See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... atibility/
______
Dennis

Well, that's fine if all that's needed is to get around the max version checking, in which case it would come in handy. Doesn't do anything for actual code changes that need to be made to the inner workings in order for it to work which is what is necessary to get ELD working with FF30+. Without doing those code changes, it was just creating empty lists.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

If you change the install.rdf code to this

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
     xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">

<Description about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
      <em:id>extensionlistdumper@sogame.cat</em:id>
      <em:type>2</em:type>

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
      <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
      <em:minVersion>8.0</em:minVersion>
      <em:maxVersion>20.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>

<em:name>Extension List Dumper</em:name>
      <em:description>Dumps a list of the installed extensions.</em:description>
      <em:creator>Sogame</em:creator>
      <em:homepageURL>http://www.sogame.cat/</em:homepageURL>
      <em:iconURL>chrome://extensionlistdumper/skin/icon_list.png</em:iconURL>
      <em:optionsURL>chrome://extensionlistdumper/content/options.xul</em:optionsURL>
   </Description>     
</RDF>

That extension https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMy9Nx6Q5CiWjhRcHRzWHc1c1E/edit?usp=sharing will install for any FF version from 31 and going forward.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

MarkRH wrote:Well, that's fine if all that's needed is to get around the max version checking, in which case it would come in handy. Doesn't do anything for actual code changes that need to be made to the inner workings in order for it to work which is what is necessary to get ELD working with FF30+. Without doing those code changes, it was just creating empty lists.

Sure. But you mentioned doing it for FF 30, and doing it again for FF 31. Since it's a one time code change, I'm don't understand why you had to.

I made the code change in a local copy of the XPI and installed it in FF. I run Nightly, get a new update on a roughly daily basis, and am currently running FF 34.0a1. I made the change once, and haven't had to do anything to make it work since. That was why I suggested the extension I mentioned. It relieves me of the need to manually do a version bump in the install.rdf file when a new FF release hits the web.
______
Dennis
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I didn't have to re-add the code.. it was just the version change I made this time. I added it to the local copy I had during FF30; although, the max version was much lower than 30 so not sure why it let me re-install it after making that change but not bumping up the max version. Anyway, it's all working now.
OldManRivuh

Post by OldManRivuh »

It's not working for me.

It's not writing the files. (text)

Older versions are there.
I tried "re-choosing them".
For some reason they were marked as "Read Only".
So I removed that.
But it still isn't overwriting them.

I renamed the files that are there and it still isn't writing them.

Changed file type to HTML and it's not working.

Firefox 33.1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1