[ext] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
patrickjdempsey

[ext] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Welcome! This is the new SeaFox Support thread! The extension can be found here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... n/sea-fox/

SeaFox will convert the Seamonkey browser to be similar to Firefox 3.x. It is not meant to be an exact duplicate of any specific version of Firefox, as I don't think any version was ever "perfect" to be worth exactly duplicating. This is for fans of Firefox who are dismayed with current Firefox UI direction. Because it disables and changes some features, people accustomed to SeaMonkey may not enjoy it. If you only want tab closers, please use SeaTab-X-2: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... eatab-x-2/

When you first install Sea Fox, there will be a First Run panel listing Opt Ins and Opt Outs for preference changes. This is not a live "Options" panel, but the settings can be changed at any time using the following listings in about:config:

First-run preference changes:

- Show close buttons on all tabs: browser.tabs.closeButtons
- Open new tabs at the end of the tab bar: browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent
- Always show the tab bar: browser.tabs.autoHide
- Disable SeaMonkey tab previews: browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
- Disable urlbar domain highlighting: browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled
- Disable type-ahead find: accessibility.typeaheadfind and accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart
- Aggressive favicon lookup: browser.chrome.favicons and browser.chrome.site_icons
- Disable fast mousewheel scrolling: mousewheel.system_scroll_override_on_root_content.enabled
- Disable yellow secure background on urlbar: browser.urlbar.highlight.secure

- Hide SeaMonkey features: Mail, Editor, Addressbook, Web Navigation bar: extensions.seafox.components.disable
- Rearrange main menus: extensions.seafox.menus.rearrange

- Force Firefox 3.x toolbar button arrangement: extensions.seafox.buttons.force: true

Firefox Themes:

In addition to the SeaMonkey Default and Modern themes, SeaFox is compatible with all SeaMonkey themes I have tested against. To complete the Firefox look, try one of these:

Firefox 3 Theme for SeaMonkey:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... r-seamonk/
Classic Firefox Theme for SeaMonkey:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... -for-seam/
Classic Toolbar Buttons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/cstbb/

Technical Discussion:

For technical questions, Theme support, Extension support, or in-depth feature requests, please use the old thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2734625
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on January 6th, 2015, 11:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Re: [ext] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

SeaFox 0.3 is now live.

New for 0.3:

- Removed redundant Menubar toggles from toolbar context submenus
- Added some padding for the Go button
- Fixed bug where dragging the tab close button copies the tab
- Added browser.newtab.url support to customize new tab page
- Fixed skinny all-tabs button for supported themes
- Added a customizable area in the status bar
- Fixed buttons on status bar to be small icons only with horizontal text
- Press ESC to clear searchbar
- Pressing ESC or clicking close button clears Findbar
- Switched to using SVG filters for button states for theme support
- Updated Download button graphic to Netscape style in Modern and Default
- Fixed a bug where the "Bookmarks" button text goes missing after customization
- Ported over tab closer code from Sea-Tab-X-2 which changes TabMail tabs
- Obey browser.urlbar.highlight.secure in SeaMonkey 2.26 and up
- Added "browser.urlbar.highlight.secure" to first-run
- Reduced Findbar height
- Increased font size of statusbar status text in Modern
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

(continued from here)

I experimented with several scenarios, to see what ShowIP looked like in the status bar in each case:

1) With SeaFox 0.3.2 installed
    1a) With SeaMonkey default/classic theme
    1b) With Classic Firefox for SeaMonkey theme
    2) Without SeaFox installed at all (default theme)
    3) With SeaFox 0.3 installed (default theme)

In each case, ShowIP looked exactly the same, leading me to conclude that I was simply imagining a visual difference where none existed (possibly due to fatigue, or to examining the status bar more closely than usual, after the initial installation of SeaFox 0.3.2). #-o So that issue is laid to rest.

What was interesting to me is that, now that I have finished, and go back to re-install SeaFox 0.3.2, I receive the message, "The add-on from addons.mozilla.org could not be installed because it does not match the add-on SeaMonkey expected."

:-k

So for now, I have simply installed SeaFox 0.3 again till I have more time to experiment. (Unless this is an issue you have seen before and can recommend a solution.)
patrickjdempsey

Thank you for confirming what I suspected! Like I said, you may have been using a different Theme? Classic Firefox uses the same as Default, but Firefox 3 uses a different statusbar appearance.

I just saw this Addons.Mozilla.Org message today. Appears to be a typical AMO bug. Often-times right when a new version of Firefox comes out, AMO starts having problems because every single updated users' Firefox is checking for extensions updates at the same time. This causes all kinds of buggy behavior. I actually had to try about 5 times to get 0.3.2 to even upload because AMO was being weird.

To circumvent the message:
Right-click on the installer link > select Save Target Link as...
Save to Desktop or where-ever
Drag the XPI file into a SeaMonkey tab (Add-ons Manager is best)
From there installation is standard
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Thanks! Yes, I've added extensions that way a few times, albeit not in SeaMonkey. Unfortunately when I attempted it, I received this error:

The add-on downloaded from unknown host could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt.

So, I tried again using the "Install add-on from file" option in Add-ons Manager. That seemed to work, so I have Sea Fox 0.3.2 once again.
patrickjdempsey

Very strange stuff. It's possible that the file really is corrupt because of whatever AMO bugs required several tries to upload. What I'll probably do is in a week or so put up a 0.3.3 with a few minor fixes and see if that clears it up. There's a new feature coming to the next version of SeaMonkey that I would like to support anyway.
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

Hello, I found a (very tiny) oddity in Sea Fox and thought I would note it here. It's not a huge deal in itself, but maybe it has effects on some other part of Sea Fox, or etc. The images below are from 0.3.2., but the behavior seems to be exactly the same in both 0.3.2 and 0.3.3.

In the customizable portion of the status-bar area, I put in the AdBlockPlus icon. I added a separator to the right-hand side of it, to differentiate it from the items to its right, and because I like separators. :D

-----

However, whenever I reboot SeaMonkey, the separator bar "jumps" to the left-hand side of the AdBlockPlus icon. If I want the separator back in its place, I have to use Customize... and manually put it back.

-----

As I said, it's not a huge deal, and I can live without separators. But I thought I would note it here, in case it impacts anything else in the extension. Both versions seem to be working well so far otherwise, and I like the extension a lot. I can use plain, raw SeaMonkey, and I have done it for short periods of time, but I find myself missing some of the Firefox flavoring after awhile, and Sea Fox provides.
patrickjdempsey

AdBlock Plus started doing some very silly things when it was switched over to being "Restartless". One of those very silly things is that it automatically moves itself around. Just try to put it before the urlbar... restart and it ends up at the right end of the nav-bar, so it seems to want to be at the end of the toolbar. I've even seen it moving itself to different toolbars. It does all of that with SeaFox disabled too. Nothing I can do to fix that, sorry.
Tialon

Post by Tialon »

It figures. #-o

I'd known that Ghostery was stubborn -- in both SeaMonkey and in (at least the last 3 versions of) FF, the Ghost won't stay anywhere that it's put; it always migrates back to the navigation bar and occasionally disappears entirely. I've given up and left the Ghost there instead of chasing it 'round perdition's flames trying to catch it. (Pale Moon does seem to be the exception in this case, but the status-bar appearance and behavior are different in PM so I expect that's why.)

I didn't realize that ABP was similarly buggy. :( I experimented by throwing some random tools and add-ons into the Sea Fox status bar, and rebooting a few times. The random stuff stayed put, exactly as I had arranged it.

So it's good to know that the bad behavior is not the fault of Sea Fox. :)

Thanks very much!
patrickjdempsey

Thank you for the detailed report, and I'm glad it wasn't me.... there's plenty I've screwed up before now. ;)
patrickjdempsey

I wanted to respond to a Review which was posted to the Sea Fox AMO page, but it appears to have been removed, so I thought I would respond here.

I've considered Firefox 3.x to be where the UI was at its absolute best -- and SeaFox nudges SeaMonkey a lot closer so we get the best of both worlds. Since switching to SeaMonkey in early 2014, I've come to feel a bit surprised that the features haven't been added as options.

That said, it'd be nice if the instructions told us the about:config setting to kill the site identity feature eating half the URLbar, just as many of us did back in the day. (Clickable option? We don't need no stinkin' clickable option! ;-) )

There is no option in Sea Fox to disable the site identity box. Nor is there an option to change the colors. I feel like this is a very important piece of user interface. In fact, I think it's so important that I believe Mozilla has really screwed up in newer versions of Firefox in making it less obvious and removing important data. When you are online you are *constantly* under siege from forces trying to take control of your machine, steal your passwords, and steal your financial and identity information. Efforts to downplay the importance of secure connections and ignore the severity of this onslaught is IMO extremely misguided. And making design decisions that impact security based solely on aesthetics is first class bozo behavior. Users need to learn to always check for a secure connection before inputting sensitive data. And that means having clear, obvious colors and symbols.
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of a way of porting over the Firefox 3 Vista/7 Aero Strata icon set to SeaMonkey? Using SM 2.26.1 + SeaFox extension. Love it so far, just trying to better fine tune the theming. Would rather have a more native looking skin to match my OS. Always liked the Strata theming from FF 3. I've tried the Firefox 3 theme for SeaMonkey but it uses the XP color/icon scheme.
Any suggestions?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Install Classic Toolbar Buttons. It has a lot of Firefox icons to choose from.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Install Classic Toolbar Buttons. It has a lot of Firefox icons to choose from.

I've actually tried that before, but it's very broken with SeaMonkey's shell. Works great in FF though.
Browsers: Firefox ESR , Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Chromium (testing purposes).
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

11ryanc wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Install Classic Toolbar Buttons. It has a lot of Firefox icons to choose from.

I've actually tried that before, but it's very broken with SeaMonkey's shell. Works great in FF though.

I'm using it in SM 2.26.1 and have no problems. Maybe it clashes with some of your other extensions.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18