[Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mindwarp42

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 5.6.3 + dev build

Post by mindwarp42 »

watershipwoo wrote:THANK YOU for keeping the kitties updated! Browsing is just not the same without them. Question: Somehow I lost the BACK and FORWARD kitty icons; I think this happened when I clicked on "Restore Defaults" which I did for a reason I can't remember now. Have tried to restore them with the hack @import url(chrome://global/skin/hacks/oldBackForward.css); , but no joy. I still have the plain old black left and right arrows. I also don't have a STOP kitty icon, and I remember that there was one of those. Have tried uninstalling the beta version 5.6.3 + dev build, deleting the localstore.rdf file, and reinstalling the beta version. Still no joy. What can I try next? TIA. ](*,)

Are you using CTR as well? If so, and you're using CTR's option to be able to move the back and forward buttons back to where they should be (or anywhere not connected to the address bar), the buttons have different IDs than the default ones, so I think that's the problem. I've been meaning to email about this (before the thread was created)/look at the .css to try to figure it out, but just haven't had the time (working two jobs doesn't help, but now the annual hell on earth aka Summer Reading has started, and we're swamped at my day job). The CTR versions of Stop and Reload suffer the same problems. The IDs of the buttons in question, based on what DOMi's telling me, are #ctraddon_back-forward-button, #ctraddon_back-button, #ctraddon_forward-button, #ctraddon_stop-button, and #ctraddon_reload-button.

Since I'm on here, for anyone wondering why the menu fonts look odd in Firefox 30+, Mozilla's been playing with that to try to play nicer with Retina displays. The fonts are that in the default theme as well, and there's a older thread in the Builds forum about it (at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2836265)
watershipwoo

Post by watershipwoo »

mindwarp42 wrote:Are you using CTR as well? If so, and you're using CTR's option to be able to move the back and forward buttons back to where they should be (or anywhere not connected to the address bar), the buttons have different IDs than the default ones, so I think that's the problem. I've been meaning to email about this (before the thread was created)/look at the .css to try to figure it out, but just haven't had the time (working two jobs doesn't help, but now the annual hell on earth aka Summer Reading has started, and we're swamped at my day job). The CTR versions of Stop and Reload suffer the same problems. The IDs of the buttons in question, based on what DOMi's telling me, are #ctraddon_back-forward-button, #ctraddon_back-button, #ctraddon_forward-button, #ctraddon_stop-button, and #ctraddon_reload-button.

mindwarp42: Thanks for your thoughts. I AM using CTR, which I installed mainly to get back the add-on bar at the bottom of the screen and the icons-and-text feature in the toolbar. When I disable CTR, the kitty icons for BACK and FORWARD return, but I lose the add-on bar and the icons-and-text ability. Maybe the next stable version of "Cats" will overcome this issue? [-o<

Another question: Why does the icon for BOOKMARKS split into a red heart and a cat-with-a-list when I drag it to the toolbar? Normally, it's a single image consisting of two cats and a heart (and it appears as a single image in the customize panel). The split icon divides the functions into "Bookmark this page" and "Show your bookmarks." I much prefer the single image . . .
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Maybe try this instead?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... addon-bar/

CTR is really designed expecting the default theme.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
watershipwoo

Post by watershipwoo »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Maybe try this instead?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... addon-bar/

CTR is really designed expecting the default theme.

Thanks, Demp! I just installed the addon bar and disabled CTR. Lost my large toolbar icons-and-text, but I'll try to adapt. Got those BACK and FORWARD kitties back, though. It's sad when Mozilla takes away some of our most-often-used and favorite features and we have to hunt down multiple addons to replace them . . .
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

Version 5.7.0 for Firefox 4.x - 32.0.x is ready and pending approval at AMO.
Install: green flavorblue flavor

LIMPET235 wrote:I used the .css code for replacing the Back/Fwd buttons = O.K., but the Fwd button only shows the "Arrow" & text & my little cat is missing, as well as the Drop down arrow, as shown in your image.
She's in the Back button, just not wanting to show up in the Fwd button.

The new build should take care of that.

watershipwoo wrote:Another question: Why does the icon for BOOKMARKS split into a red heart and a cat-with-a-list when I drag it to the toolbar? Normally, it's a single image consisting of two cats and a heart (and it appears as a single image in the customize panel). The split icon divides the functions into "Bookmark this page" and "Show your bookmarks." I much prefer the single image . . .

Using the word "normally" when talking about Firefox 29/Australis? You're kidding, right? :D

Okay, okay, it's a double image as of Firefox 29. Use the hack below to restore the good ol' single button - it will appear like that: Image

Code: Select all

@import url("chrome://global/skin/hacks/compactBookmarksMenu.css");
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
watershipwoo

Post by watershipwoo »

R_F_L_C: Thanks for the single Bookmarks button! After installing the latest build (5.7.0) and fussing around with the customization settings, I have since discovered that I have two Bookmarks buttons, and they "do" slightly different things. And I have three History buttons, and THEY do slightly different things. And if you show the Additional Toolbar, the button icons will change their appearance on that toolbar (no kitties). I did renable CTR, though, so I could get back the larger icons+text. Now my user interface looks pretty much like it did before Firefox 29 . . . Happy days! Meow!
LIMPET235

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 5.7.0

Post by LIMPET235 »

Once again, I'm a happy provider for my cats.
Many thanks R_F_L_C.

Nice to have them back.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mindwarp42

Post by mindwarp42 »

Odd question: the new release is supposed to be compatible with pre-Australis versions, according to AMO and the first post in the thread. I am also running the latest release of Palemoon (I'm at work, so the portable version of 24.6.2 right now), and the update to 5.7.0 for the blue version came up. Palemoon reads like Firefox 24 (it's based on 24 ESR currently), plus I have Add-on Update Checker checking for extensions compatible to Firefox 28 as well. I hadn't bothered installing it in Palemoon, since I didn't think it would be compatible, even though I already had it in post-Australis versions of Firefox. When the update installed, a number of buttons from extensions that are on my nav bar went from being their usual extension provided buttons to the "mass amounts of cats since Firefox doesn't know what this is", plus my menu bar disappeared. The menu bar was enabled, and in the default location at the top of the screen. I think (although I would have to look at my extension backups at home to double check) that any toolbar buttons that were affected were from older extensions that haven't had their buttons updated to the new CustomizableUI stuff, and/or weren't being styled by Red Cats already. Downgrading fixed everything. I have to clock into work right now, so I haven't had a chance to play around with a test profile yet, but has anyone else tried running 5.7.0 on pre-Australis Firefox versions, including ESR builds, or third party builds that don't have Australis yet? I don't mind staying on 5.6.3 on Palemoon and running 5.7.0 on Firefox, but if 5.7.0 isn't compatible with anything before Firefox 29, AMO probably should have it marked that way instead of saying 4.x and up.

Side note: oddly enough, though, small icons on the nav bar did work, for the ones that weren't wonky, in Palemoon. Go fig. (g)
watershipwoo

Post by watershipwoo »

Can't answer mindwarp42's question, but I have one of my own that's been bothering me. What has happened to the kitty (next to the address bar) that throws the ball with its tale when webpages are loading? I seem to have lost him . . .
patrickjdempsey

watershipwoo wrote:Can't answer mindwarp42's question, but I have one of my own that's been bothering me. What has happened to the kitty (next to the address bar) that throws the ball with its tale when webpages are loading? I seem to have lost him . . .

Just a very wild guess here... but that was probably the "throbber" which Mozilla removed in Firefox 29.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

mindwarp42 wrote:Palemoon etc...

While Palemoon generally advertises itself as being "basically Firefox", it actually has some differences. However due to the fact that it uses the same GUID as Firefox, it's virtually impossible for extensions and themes to specifically support Palemoon. Which means that until Palemoon comes up with it's own custom GUID, you can expect breakages and honestly after that I would expect most extensions/themes to simply stop working with Palemoon because nobody has time for that.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

ESR. I would assume that the version that work well with 24 would work here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I'm still using 5.6.3 on Fx24.6.0 ESR and Pale Moon. I have updates for extensions turned off so I didn't know there was a newer version until I checked this thread just now. I'm not going to update to 5.7.0 until I know more about whether or not it works right with Fx 24 ESR and Pale Moon.

I have a question about the colors for the tabs. There are three shades of green and I can't figure out what rules govern which shade of green is used. I use Piro's Tree Style Tab, Informational Tab, Multiple tab Handler, etc. Tree Style tab will use the skin of the theme if set that way. Back years ago with the predecessor to Tree Style Tabs and Multiple Tab Handler, Tabbed Browsing Extensions, and Red Cats on Fx 1 and 1.5, I don't recall several shades of green for the tabs. So, what is the meaning of the different shades of green for the tabs?

mindwarp42

Post by mindwarp42 »

I snagged a copy of the latest Firefox 24 ESR and a copy of Firefox 28, installed both at home, and ran both with new clean test profiles, making sure that I didn't change any settings or install any other extensions/themes before installing 5.7.0. I had some of same problems that I had in Pale Moon - the menu bar was not there if you enable it instead of the Firefox button and the tab bar was missing (I hadn't noticed that in Pale Moon, only because I had one tab open, but I had the first run page, the Mozilla default start page, and the Add-ons Manager open when I did my tests today in Firefox 24 ESR and Firefox 28). I didn't try installing any other extensions to see if the toolbar button issues were there as well. So, unless there was something truly strange going on on my end (which I won't discount, mind you), if you're running a Firefox or third party build that doesn't have Australis, don't upgrade past 5.6.3 (which, yes, I know makes sense because of all of the changes in 5.7.0 because of Australis - I was actually surprised that AMO said it was compatible with older versions, so I figured that I would try it (shrugs)). If anyone else wants to test it just to make sure it still isn't something wonky on my end, please do (Scarlettrunner20, you could always try a test profile to be on the safe side).

BTW, Red, please don't even worry about trying to make newer versions compatible for non-Australis builds, in case you thought my question was a request for that. I do agree, actually, that add-on devs have enough issues with just Firefox compatibility especially now, and that third party builds shouldn't be officially supported unless the dev really, really wants to do so. Like I said before, my real concern was that AMO was stating 5.7.0 was compatible with pre-Firefox 29 versions, which would affect any users that tried to avoid Australis for now via ESR or older mainstream builds (although mostly the ESR users, since that's still officially supported) and who checked for updates.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Oh, what a DISASTER! I started Fx 24 ESR with a different profile that I just recently set up. It was using a Persona. I went to Addons website to Red Cats and oh my! Mozilla, as you reported, made an awful mistake in giving me 5.7.0 when I am on Fx24 ESR.

I have no experience whatsoever with Australis and don't intend to ever have any. I could do NOTHING with this version of Red Cats installed except "Customize" the navigation bar. My tabs did not show....NOTHING worked except my home page where I could see that my FONT choice was forcibly changed! HORRIBLE font ...very BLURRY. Did Red Cats do that??? Or does Australis force a god awful, almost unreadable font in place of the user's font? THANK GOD I did not try Red Cats 5.7.0 on my main profile! I had to stumble about trying to figure out how to make the Menu bar appear so I could either get Addons/Themes to uninstall Red Cats or restart in Safe Mode. (Actually, I can restart in Safe Mode from my desktop as set that up....but I momentarily forgot that so I was panicked and frustrated). Finally, I tried unchecking Menu Bar (on right click ) and that turned on the Australis stuff and I was able to get to Safe Mode restart. (I'm sure there was a keyboard method to restart in Safe Mode but I am a mouse person so I didn't know it).

I'm scared I will need to install other updates to extensions (on my main profile) and that this will install because it kept trying to install on my main Fx profile when I updated other extensions! I had to uncheck it over and over to keep it from installing.

One thing I noticed is that in 5.7.0 my beloved cat sitting on a cushion (new tab) button was there! So, why doesn't it show up in 5.6.3? I really MISS IT.

Very large image.
Click to view.