[Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LIMPET235

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 5.7.0

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Noitidart,
I have the same Q?
What screen shots?
One where the static icon disappears on page load/re-load or one where the animated icon does not show up at all?
Sorry. Don't mean it to sound like this medium makes it.

&, I haven't installed the ^^ above "installer" as yet. Will await Joe's outcome 1st.
He's the "test dummy" here. (No offence Joe.) :)

(Please disregard my UA. I use version 20, coz it works as per out of the box.)

I'm not sure if it's a "Green Flavor" theme glitch in version 30 or not.
I do have v30 set up as close as poss. to my v20 with the CTR extension installed.
But, as mentioned, the circle throbber disappears on page load/re-load in v30.

My v31 is still running in the default mode. ie; Nothing added at all.
I only open it to see what others are seeing re; "fault finding & assistance."
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Hi LIMPET235, calling a dummy a dummy is no problem.:-)

As I've written, I installed the update, and nothing changed at all. It works fine.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
lconnole

Post by lconnole »

I really am trying to get help. I know I'm not Mac literate, but I am a Tech Support engineer for EMC and do know a few things about technology, just not Mac.
MAC OS 10.6.8, Firefox 31.
I want to get my cat throbber back as well as the combined bookmarks cat icon. I was also wondering if there was a way to put these on my personal toolbar without them changing their look?

Previous Posts:

Can or would anyone help me please? I have posted earlier. My issue is I have loved using Red Cats, blue version since I bought my Mac a few years ago. I just upgrade to newest version and was able to correct some things but, I no longer have the following cat icons: refresh/stop cat; FIXED by CTR. the cat that I think is/was called throbber, it is the one with the ball on it's tail and moves. Previous notes said they did away with it but, it shows on your page, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... or/?src=ss . I did try throbber restore add-on but I do not understand how to put the cat back.
Also the bookmarks/favorites icon (twin cats with heart) now when moved to toolbar it splits into 2 separate cat icons. You have a hack for it but as I have stated I do not have the necessary file. If I create a new profile using profilemanager every customization is gone, and I stiill do not have a userchrome.css file. The only userchrome.css file is userchrome-example.css/Profile backup/cc08cnhg.default/chrome. I'm begging someone who is Mac literate to help me please [-o<

PREVIOUSLY.....

I do not have userchrome.css file on my mac. I found this /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -profilemanager and create a profile, even though it has one created (default). Still no luck. Please assist a novice on how to resolve this please. I think your hacks would fix my other 2 issues if I could do this.
I may have create the file , I do have example files, but have no idea what to do. Would you or someone help me? I know windows much better but don't use one anymore. Mac I'm lost ](*,)[/quote]
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

lconnole wrote:... I want to get my cat throbber back ...
To repeat what I've already written:

1. Once you've installed the "Throbber Restored" extension, go to the AOM, find the Throbber Restored extension, and click "Options"
2. At the bottom you'll see "Custom Idle Image" and "Custom Loading Image".
(Detour -> Now to LIMPET235's question: "Is this supposed to work with any 'size & type' of image, as the author does not specify?"

Now it's time to find the installation folder for RCGF -> Fx Profile\extensions\{dd30bf68-268a-4815-ad48-8740b774c764}.xpi\chrome\global\throbber\
(By the way, you need to open the xpi with a "zip" program -> 7zip is free and and works great; Winzip, of course is fine, too, if you have it.)
There are two pairs of images in the folder:

pair a:-> throbber.png and throbber-animated.gif
and
pair b -> throbber-small.png and throbber-small-animated.gif

My guess is that if you choose both members of pair a. or both members of pair b. it'll work, but I've only tried pair b. because I figured the "small" ones would fit better in the menu Bar.

3. Anyway, I selected throbber-small.png for the "Custom Idle Image"; it immediately appeared to the right of the top "Browse...." button.
I then selected throbber-small-animated.gif for the "Custom Loading Image", and it appeared to the right of the bottom "Browse...." button.

I then looked up and saw the the "broken circle" throbber had been replaced by throbber-small.png, and when I clicked a bookmark or whatever, the throbber-small-animated.gif went into action as expected
lconnole wrote:...as well as the combined bookmarks cat icon.
Sorry, here I have no idea.
lconnole wrote:I was also wondering if there was a way to put these on my personal toolbar without them changing their look?
I don't think you can put the throbber anywhere but in its "original" place, to the right of the search box. This opinion, however, is based solely on the native performance of the "throbber restored" addon.

In regard to the userChrome.css file, I only know where it is on a PC: namely, in profile in a folder called "Chrome". On a PC, this folder contains a file called "userChrome-example.css", which can be modified and then saved under the name "userChrome.css".

You might want to look at these:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Mac
and
http://lifehacker.com/197715/customize- ... rchromecss
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Joe, et al,
Just reporting that upon the 2nd, 3rd try at installing Throbber Restored
in v30 & adding the said images, all is well in the cat family.
Don't know why they didn't reunite the 1st time though.

Thanks again.
========================================================================
@lconnole,
Hi,
Using the options in CTR & then the Customise palette, all your buttons can be moved to whatever location you want.
In CTR, go to the General UI tab & at the top is, "Movable Back/Fwd buttons."
Make sure that "Combine Reload & Stop buttons" is UN-checked.

Most everything else is set as default but you can experiment with all the options.

Then open the Customise palette & try dragging your required buttons to wherever you want.

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
lconnole

Post by lconnole »

JoeG wrote:
lconnole wrote:... I want to get my cat throbber back ...
To repeat what I've already written:

1. Once you've installed the "Throbber Restored" extension, go to the AOM, find the Throbber Restored extension, and click "Options"
2. At the bottom you'll see "Custom Idle Image" and "Custom Loading Image".
(Detour -> Now to LIMPET235's question: "Is this supposed to work with any 'size & type' of image, as the author does not specify?"

Now it's time to find the installation folder for RCGF -> Fx Profile\extensions\{dd30bf68-268a-4815-ad48-8740b774c764}.xpi\chrome\global\throbber\
(By the way, you need to open the xpi with a "zip" program -> 7zip is free and and works great; Winzip, of course is fine, too, if you have it.)

I finally got this to work. Thank you. Thank you =D> :mrgreen:

In regard to the userChrome.css file, I only know where it is on a PC: namely, in profile in a folder called "Chrome". On a PC, this folder contains a file called "userChrome-example.css", which can be modified and then saved under the name "userChrome.css".

You might want to look at these:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Mac
and
http://lifehacker.com/197715/customize- ... rchromecss[/quote

I'm still working on this one. To me I have no idea what really all needs to be in it.
lconnole

Post by lconnole »

[quote="LIMPET235"]Hi Joe, et al,
Just reporting that upon the 2nd, 3rd try at installing Throbber Restored

@lconnole,
Hi,
Using the options in CTR & then the Customise palette, all your buttons can be moved to whatever location you want.
In CTR, go to the General UI tab & at the top is, "Movable Back/Fwd buttons."
Make sure that "Combine Reload & Stop buttons" is UN-checked.

Most everything else is set as default but you can experiment with all the options.

Then open the Customize palette & try dragging your required buttons to wherever you want.

Thanks for the information. So from 27 Firefox to version 31, the only issue I currently notice is when moving the icons to my personal toolbar. It may be the size of the personal toolbar verses the icons size. When I move them from the main toolbar to my personal toolbar the cat portion disappears and the just the clock, fish, puzzle piece and etc just shows on that tool bar. I like the bigger size so this is a change I can deal with. I may use CTR toexperiment with some things like you suggest some other time. It took me long enough to figure out where to find all these files on this Mac. I swear PC's are easier. Thank you to everyone =D> :mrgreen: =D>
joeg

Post by joeg »

lconnole wrote:... I finally got this to work. Thank you. Thank you =D> :mrgreen:
You're welcome.
lconnole wrote:I'm still working on this one. To me I have no idea what really all needs to be in it.
If I understand you correctly, you want to modify the userChrome.css in an attempt to fix the bookmarks icon. What makes you think this will happen?

Although I usually have the CTR extension set to "Text" on my v. 35 Nightly of Fx, I changed it to "Icons" to see if I could reproduce your problem. This is what it now looks like.
The icon (I think) you're referring to looks "normal" as far am I'm able to see.
lconnole

Post by lconnole »

JoeG wrote:
lconnole wrote:... I finally got this to work. Thank you. Thank you =D> :mrgreen:
You're welcome.
lconnole wrote:I'm still working on this one. To me I have no idea what really all needs to be in it.
If I understand you correctly, you want to modify the userChrome.css in an attempt to fix the bookmarks icon. What makes you think this will happen?

Although I usually have the CTR extension set to "Text" on my v. 35 Nightly of Fx, I changed it to "Icons" to see if I could reproduce your problem. This is what it now looks like.
The icon (I think) you're referring to looks "normal" as far am I'm able to see.

From page 1 of this feed, it shows hacks for userChrome.css. I do not need it for bookmarks anymore but I see hacks are sometimes needed. Not sure if CTR will do the color tabs or not, I have not had any more time to play with it. It took me a long time to get throbber to work correctly. It disappeared on me a couple of times. I had to remove throbber completely and re-install it to make it function again. It was after changing parameters in CTR. Not sure if I have to do that every time I make a change in CTR. I will need time to experiment with that.
##############################
Hacks

You can spice up the theme with a few hacks - just add the respective code to your userChrome.css and restart Firefox. Note that the code should go BEFORE any other text you may find inside userChrome.css or it won't do the trick.

Change the background color of selected tab (Red Cats 5.0.0+):

Bronze tab (green and blue flavor) Image

Code: Select all
@import url("chrome://global/skin/hacks/Bronze_tab.css");

Emerald_tab (green flavor only) Image

@import url("chrome://global/skin/hacks/Emerald_tab.css");

Sapphire tab (blue flavor only) Image

@import url("chrome://global/skin/hacks/Sapphire_tab.css");
lconnole

Post by lconnole »

I was poking around and found that the 2 of the tab color hacks are in my profile, but do not know how to activate them or where is the third one is located.
The are located at RCGF -> ~~/Profiles/6nd4b3he.default-1398079365725/extensions/{dd30bf68-268a-4815-ad48-8740b774c764}/chrome/global/hacks
.css files for bronze and emerald, but not sapphire. Bronze_tabs.css and Emerald_tabs.css. This is the same profile that you told me I would find the throbber icons to restore them to the Theme.

I don't know if it even matters because I do not know how to get them to function. Remember from earlier posts, I do not have a userChrom.css file. I'm not sure if it even used on the Mac or what file takes precedence.
assybish

Post by assybish »

Can any one advise why FF 32. latest is saing cats is not compatible and will be ...?
Also can anyone advise how to get around this please? I am so fed up with Mozilla and these constnt builds - makes IE look more attractive every time it's only the extensions that keep me going despite being with FF since the start. :cry:
mindwarp42

Post by mindwarp42 »

assybish wrote:Can any one advise why FF 32. latest is saing cats is not compatible and will be ...?
Also can anyone advise how to get around this please? I am so fed up with Mozilla and these constnt builds - makes IE look more attractive every time it's only the extensions that keep me going despite being with FF since the start. :cry:

What version of Red Cats do you have installed? The latest is 5.70 for both color variants, and AMO has it listed as compatible for 32.*. Links to get the latest versions are in the very first post in this thread.
assybish

Post by assybish »

I have 5.7 installed I know it's listed as compatible but ff 32.02 says it isn't and will disable it? Hence my question :D
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

assybish wrote:I have 5.7 installed I know it's listed as compatible but ff 32.02 says it isn't and will disable it? Hence my question :D

I've tried to force the installation by disabling the compatibility check, but it's a bit buggy. I can't find the bookmark "star" and the scroll bar on the right has the tendency to disappear.
historymom

Post by historymom »

Thank you so much for Red Cats! I've been using it since forever, suffering through the "gaps" (and actually sometimes not updating Firefox until you had updated the Cats).

I'm having an issue with the scroll bar, which I use a lot. The indicator that scrolls in the scroll bar vanishes if you scroll the page at all (with mouse scroll or by clicking the arrows or in the bar). I posted in the Mozilla forums (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... =&r=0&as=s), and some feedback led me to a bug notice: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1066934

It seems that in some skins, the scroll bar adjusts to the window size, and something goes haywire there. I turned off my Cats, and sure enough the problem went away. So, the problem is in the Firefox code, but I wonder if it's possible to compensate somehow? I read a lot of long articles, and it's so helpful to know at a glance where I am on the page. I'm torn between my scroll bar thingy and my Cats! Any ideas?