[Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LIMPET235

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Not to worry, coz you are not alone.
I go into Customize & get a whole slew of "cat type characters, all Zoom" across the palette & cannot access all the right hand buttons on most of the Bars.
Customise is way too wide.

Weird indeed.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

There was another post about using Pale Moon. What happened to it?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Thanks!
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

A full year has passed since the last update... sadly, I think that our beloved cats won't ever be updated. :cry:
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

Nikosandros wrote:A full year has passed since the last update... sadly, I think that our beloved cats won't ever be updated. :cry:
You are right. I have written to the developer many times, but never received a response. She is a ghost. That is sad. :(

Interestingly, the developer's website is still up and running, but it has not been updated either.
rebelmom

Post by rebelmom »

Don't know if this means anything, but just updated to 56.0 and went to Add-Ons to check on the kitties. Both Red Cats green & blue are marked LEGACY which means they won't have to be updated every 6 or so weeks once the "big" change comes out in November. When I clicked on Enable and restarted FF, there were my cats! I, too, had not seem them for months and thought they were gone forever. They very well may be gone again after FF Quantum takes effect next month, but for now I can still enjoy them.
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

rebelmom wrote:Don't know if this means anything, but just updated to 56.0 and went to Add-Ons to check on the kitties. Both Red Cats green & blue are marked LEGACY which means they won't have to be updated every 6 or so weeks once the "big" change comes out in November. When I clicked on Enable and restarted FF, there were my cats! I, too, had not seem them for months and thought they were gone forever. They very well may be gone again after FF Quantum takes effect next month, but for now I can still enjoy them.
Unfortunately, the menus are still broken.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Nikosandros wrote: Unfortunately, the menus are still broken.
Yep.
When I open the "Customize" palette, the icons are strewn across the palette & all are marked as "Zoom Controls"
& none function.

Such a pity, as we all love our cats.

FWIW...
Check out the Google Docs WE page for those that will & will not make the cut.
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Could someone else take on the development of this extension or is the code closed?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

More like the code is dead or at least has been killed off by changes to the browser.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

malliz wrote:More like the code is dead or at least has been killed off by changes to the browser.
Yes, what i was wondering was if it would be possible for someone else to update/port the code to the new version of the browser. Probably though, even if it were possible, there might not be anyone with the right combination of interest, capability and free time...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Nikosandros wrote: Yes, what i was wondering was if it would be possible for someone else to update/port the code to the new version of the browser.
No not possible
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

malliz wrote:
Nikosandros wrote: Yes, what i was wondering was if it would be possible for someone else to update/port the code to the new version of the browser.
No not possible
That is correct. Red Cats and most full themes created up to now can only be used on those forks of Firefox+Gecko (e.g. this one or this one) that continue to support the XUL/XPCOM technology which provide the APIs necessary to make the user-interface changes. It is not possible to port Red Cats to Firefox Quantum because it does not support this technology. It is built on a completely different platform from Firefox pre-57.

See here for a short but useful summary of some of the terms I used if you are not familiar (XUL, platform, etc.)
Edit: I notice one term, API, is left out: application programming interface (API).

HTH :)
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Thank you for the explanation. I've begun to check out Pale Moon where, as you mentioned previously, the extension still works.