[Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 5.8.0

Post by joeg »

Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:I'm back.
Welcome home. :D
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:[*]Development build for the latest nightlies (Fx 44): green flavor (beware: may not be backward compatible right now)
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but (at least on my machine) the update didn't put an end to the problem. :oops:
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:As anyone can see, the fix is worse than the problem.
I really didn't understand what the problem was anyway, but there are lots of things I don't understand.
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:Really, with all the news about XUL being abandoned in a year or so, I'm seriously starting to think they're doing it on purpose...
I find the devs heavy-handed approach to these and other changes bodes ill for the future of Fx. Oh well, we'll see.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

joeg wrote:Welcome home. :D
Thank you! :D
joeg wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but (at least on my machine) the update didn't put an end to the problem. :oops:
Oh but it wasn't supposed to. The problem is on the other end. Sorry, should have mentioned it.
joeg wrote:I really didn't understand what the problem was anyway, but there are lots of things I don't understand.
Well, simply put... Look at the Cats scrollbar. It's (normally) slightly beveled, right? So the problem was, the shadow that created that bevel effect was missing so the scrollbar looked flat. And the devs fixed that, oh yes! The zebra stripes are definitely an improvement. Less boring, they are! *heavy sarcasm*
joeg wrote:I find the devs heavy-handed approach to these and other changes bodes ill for the future of Fx. Oh well, we'll see.
Oh dear. I'm not sure I want to see that future... I so much do not want to hear, or read, or see anything related to the future of the poor browser... I value my sanity, y'know...or maybe my paranoia is in full swing these days...or maybe both. :mrgreen:
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:Oh but it wasn't supposed to. The problem is on the other end. Sorry, should have mentioned it.
Oh, that's good to know. I see that besides the bug in question, there are others at work. I hope Mason Chang has nothing better to do than fix 'em.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I have a small glitch with the Ad Block Plus icon.
It's "split" into a few parts & when moused over, the "parts" move.
Ad Block Plus works fine & is the latest version.
Hi Limpet, you're using CTR and the small icons mode, right? If so, the glitch is easy to fix.
creed3 wrote:Here's a new bug. At first I thought this was a problem with Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.9 as I just noticed this happening after it auto updated. After some testing it seems to only happen on the Red Cats theme, and not with the default theme. When hovering over a tab that is not the active tab and has not ever been the active tab since re-starting FF, the tab height increases in size as shown in this image:

Hovering over a tab that is or has been active since re-starting FF does not cause this height change.

I'm running FF 39.0 on Mac OS 10.10.4 using Red Cats (blue flavor) 5.8.0 which I 'hacked' only to change the FF version number so I could continue using it. I briefly looked thru some of the CSS files but couldn't see a specified height param that might be affecting this.
Will try to fix that.

Now, RE the notorious scrollbar bug. I'm still not sure what's causing it. But don't worry, in a pinch the Mac Cats will get the default scrollbar and that'll put an end to the problem.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
LIMPET235

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 5.8.5b1

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi R_F_L_C,
Glad to see you back.
Hope all is well at your end.

Yes to both Q's...CTR & small icons selected in CTR.

It's not really important, just a small glitch in that version.
I'm not running anything later, ATM.

&, I also do not know what "they" are thinking of with all the changes.
It's going to cost them "users."
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Why is Red Cats incompatible with Fx 41 and now 42? Red Cats gets disabled during upgrade. I have Addons compatibility checking disabled so all I have to do is enable Red Cats after the upgrade and restart Fx. Red Cats worked fine on Fx 41 (after I enabled it) and seems ok on Fx 42 yet Mozilla yells at me that Red Cats is incompatible with Fx 42 and before that Fx 41.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Why is Red Cats incompatible with Fx 41 and now 42? Red Cats gets disabled during upgrade. I have Addons compatibility checking disabled so all I have to do is enable Red Cats after the upgrade and restart Fx. Red Cats worked fine on Fx 41 (after I enabled it) and seems ok on Fx 42 yet Mozilla yells at me that Red Cats is incompatible with Fx 42 and before that Fx 41.
I think it has to do with the install.rdf version number of the extension. You can change it manually.

I just installed the latest beta (v. 42 of Fx and Red Cats), and it didn't complain.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

joeg wrote:I think it has to do with the install.rdf version number of the extension. You can change it manually.

I just installed the latest beta (v. 42 of Fx and Red Cats), and it didn't complain.
I didn't download Red Cats to disk so I can't look and see what the install.rdf shows for maximum version. Just now I downloaded Red Cats 5.8.5b and it shows Fx 44 as maximum version. Will it work on Fx 42? I'm a bit confused...do you mean you just installed the latest beta of Red Cats with Fx 42 Final and it works ok?

(I forgot to bypass Proxo here so the user string looks a bit odd but I am on Fx 42.0 Final).
joeg

Post by joeg »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:I didn't download Red Cats to disk so I can't look and see what the install.rdf shows for maximum version.
??? I thought you had somehow installed it. If so, the .rdf file is in your profile under "extensions" in
{dd30bf68-268a-4815-ad48-8740b774c764}.xpi
Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Just now I downloaded Red Cats 5.8.5b and it shows Fx 44 as maximum version. Will it work on Fx 42?
It's certainly supposed to.
Scarlettrunner20 wrote: I'm a bit confused...do you mean you just installed the latest beta of Red Cats with Fx 42 Final and it works ok?
Actually, I'm now on the Fx 43 beta, and the Red Cats beta works fine with it.

As I've said, there was also no problem with v42. In fact, if you bump up the max version to 49 or whatever, Fx doesn't even complain if you use the Red Cats beta with Nightly (v45).
joeg

Change color of rollover / selected menu items

Post by joeg »

I'm using the Red Cats Green Flavor theme.

When I roll over most of the items in the toolbar or dropdown menus, the background turns "pink".

However, in the Menu Bar, I have seven buttons that are the result of various extensions. When I roll over them, the background turns "white".
Does anyone know, please, how I can make the items in the Menu Bar that aren't "controlled" by my theme the same color as the ones it controls - i.e. pink?

Thanks.
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 10th, 2015, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Firefox Support.
mvdejong

Post by mvdejong »

I also retrieved the 5.8.5 beta-version of the Red Cats (Green Flavor), but the buttons on the top-right are still nowhere to be found.
Home is where the cat is.
joeg

Post by joeg »

New problem to report when using RCGF with v45 (Nightly). With Beta it's fine.

Here you see what's wrong:

With Nightly, if the site offers a favicon that's more than 16x16, it appears that the theme uses it. On my site (edu-net), I've now only got the 16x16, but when I had 16x16 and another one ... hmmm ... I guess it was 48x48, Red Cats chose the latter, which obviously caused a problem.

There's also another problem (no screen shot). At least on my machine (i.e. it could have to do with my profile): When I directly open a jpg file in Nightly, in addition to opening it in the normal window, somehow, it also opens in the address bar!!!

Try it yourself http://edu-net.net/images/fav_prob.jpg)

It also occurs with a new profile that only has the theme and Aris's magnificent Classic Theme Restorer extension installed. Hmmmm ... I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using CTR's "text only" setting, but it doesn't.

I have no idea how complicated this is to fix, and I don't know exactly what happened in the Nightly code that caused it.

Sorry.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Whatever you are using to restore the urlbar favicon (CTR I guess) SHOULD be putting constraints on the size of the favicon itself since themes cannot be expected to since it's not a part of the default UI anymore for a long time now.

Just an additional word here: Mozilla is currently working on completely removing support for Themes from Firefox, so anyone who wants to keep a Theme for as long as possible should probably NOT be using Nightly. You might be able to switch over to Firefox 45 64-bit ESR when that hit release IF Mozilla doesn't start ripping out Theme guts in 45.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
joeg

Post by joeg »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Whatever you are using to restore the urlbar favicon (CTR I guess) SHOULD be putting constraints on the size of the favicon ...
Oh, OK, thanks. I'll ask Aris.
patrickjdempsey wrote:Just an additional word here: ...
Yes, I know. For my everyday internet needs, I use beta, but I guess if they really do get rid of themes and whatever else will be affected by the changes you alluded to, I'll probably go to Pale Moon - or simply stick to an old version as long as feasible.
Aris

Post by Aris »

I can fix that on next CTR beta, but is it really wise to use a complete theme, that does not offer Fx45 compatibility, on Firefox 45? In Firefox 45 identity boxes content and code heavily changed.