[EXT] Norwell history tools

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pirst

Re: [EXT] Norwell history tools

Post by pirst »

All addons should be well coded, but considering the state of "modern" computing it's rather problematic.

Can any info be gleaned from taking these steps:

If you are having problems, please open the Browser Console (Firefox/Tools -> Web Development -> Browser Console) and disable and re-enable Session Manager and look for errors in the error console. If there aren't any enable logging in the options menu and disabling and re-enable Session Manager again
Anubioz

Post by Anubioz »

Orwellianly the bug is gone and everything works as intended. No matter how hard I tried, there seems to be no way to reproduce it. So I suppose we can say it was a problem on my side. Thanks for your help (and for your plugin)!
Fritz_Geiger

compatibility w/ older FF versions

Post by Fritz_Geiger »

Does not function in FF v3.6.28.

Tested with clean/empty profile, add-on versions 1.9.7, 2.2.3.0, 3.1.0.2.
Installs without warnings, is listed in add-ons list, but no menu item under History menu group.
Also, nothing happens when "chrome://norwell/content/norwell.xul" is executed.

Installs and functions in FF v23.0.1 Portable without issues (at least there is menu item, that opens Norwell tab).
UserMark

Post by UserMark »

I was trying to add a delete function to your wonderful program so I can delete single page url from history after a search with Norwell.
I successfully added a new menu item on right click, and attached an alert script to test it. All is working except the delete record script.
The SQL needed is DELETE FROM moz_places WHERE url='https://www.WEBADDRESS.com'
But I cannot get it to work in the Norwell addon.
Any suggestions?

PS: I am using the same connect DB code for places.sqlite that is originally in import.js
pirst

Post by pirst »

UserMark wrote:I was trying to add a delete function to your wonderful program so I can delete single page url from history after a search with Norwell.
I successfully added a new menu item on right click, and attached an alert script to test it. All is working except the delete record script.
The SQL needed is DELETE FROM moz_places WHERE url='https://www.WEBADDRESS.com'
But I cannot get it to work in the Norwell addon.
Any suggestions?

PS: I am using the same connect DB code for places.sqlite that is originally in import.js
there are literally gazillion of FF extensions for destroying and deleting firefox history. I don't think you ever need to delete your history. I guess those in position to handle mass surveillance databases and big data could start initiative to shape internet according to what people remove from their history by investigating and targeting these websites as source of some sort of evil for causing this unnecessary worrying condition bordering paranoia.
Last edited by pirst on December 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pirst

Re: compatibility w/ older FF versions

Post by pirst »

Fritz_Geiger wrote:Does not function in FF v3.6.28.

Tested with clean/empty profile, add-on versions 1.9.7, 2.2.3.0, 3.1.0.2.
Installs without warnings, is listed in add-ons list, but no menu item under History menu group.
Also, nothing happens when "chrome://norwell/content/norwell.xul" is executed.

Installs and functions in FF v23.0.1 Portable without issues (at least there is menu item, that opens Norwell tab).
Sorry can't provide real help - i don't have a hardware option to install other versions of FF than what i use now FF 39.3. Do you get any warnings or errors in javascript console (if there was such in back then) when you try to run Norwell? Does the norwell XUL interface opens at all?
Fritz_Geiger

Re: compatibility w/ older FF versions

Post by Fritz_Geiger »

pirst wrote:Do you get any warnings or errors in javascript console (if there was such in back then) when you try to run Norwell? Does the norwell XUL interface opens at all?
Answer to both questions is "no".
Also "chrome://norwell/content/import.xul" and "chrome://norwell/content/browser.xul".

If one letter (norwell/norvell) is changed, error console writes:
"No chrome package registered for chrome://norvell/content/norwell.xul".
So, logically thinking, silent "chrome://norwell/content/norwell.xul" (with "w")
means that this package _is_ registered.
It corresponds with error-free installations and updates,
and with presence of the add-on in add-ons list (under "Tools" menu item).

I tested v1.2.1 and v1.3.1 - same results.
v1.0.1 not tested (claimed compatibility starts from FF v30).

I suppose that real compatibility of the add-on starts from FF v4.
I'll test this in a few days and inform the results.
Henri de Solages

Post by Henri de Solages »

Are we supposed to ask all our question about Norwell history tools in this one thread?! The text "About this add-on" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l/?src=api) is rather about the reason for this add-on than about the add-on itself. And 1st of all, how does it work? I installed it (version 3.1.0.2.1 on Firefox 42.0 for Fedora 23 Gnome) but I can see no difference in Firefox" Open menu → History... I eventually understood that I can go to Open menu → Customize, and drag and drop "H Norwell" towards the menu, then click on that "H Norwell"... Is it what we are supposed to guess or is there an easier way?
pirst

Post by pirst »

Henri,

yes this is the right thread to discuss Norwell history tools. This is screenshot where entry for norwell is placed under history menu in Firefox 39.0.3 Ubuntu linux. At least on my computer:

I'm sure there are ways in firefox to implement a better solution, but it will be limited as working approach to just a few firefox versions. If there is a firefox addon it should be able to be installed, backwards compatible and usable in all versions of firefox. Of course it's impossible task considering how firefox browser differs from version to version and still able to keep the name, branding, logo, etc creating some impressions that attracts attention about some markets being served under the table. That "drag addon icon to menu thing" has been with firefox since ancient times - i guess it might be a problem for those who are new to firefox.
Henri de Solages

Post by Henri de Solages »

Ah. OK, thank you. This was because I didn't display the menu bar, but I guess that ifit was not displayed, it is because it is hidden by default in Fedora 23.
Gloops

Re: [EXT] Norwell history tools : missed some points

Post by Gloops »

Hello,
Oh, here I am, thanks to Google I realized I had to click on Assistance rather than Support.

Well, I installed Norwell history extension, this gave me a nice interface when clicking on the H, but that only displays the current session.

I see no modification in the Firefox History interface.

Anything I missed ?
[EDIT]
Oh; I think I understood. I did not realize I had to enable the limits. I thought otherwise I was supposed to get the whole history, in fact no by default I get the current session (or perhaps rather the current day), and if you enable the limits and select a begin date you get the previous days. Also before the begin day, in fact ?
pirst

Post by pirst »

Gloops,
that is correct. Norwell opens with history of todays date. You can execute search with any keyword right away on your global history and by right clicking on displayed result record you can open the day that particular history record occurred. If you need to see specific period of your history - you enable limits and select what you need and press looking glass button in the search bar to execute the search. Alternatively you can execute a search with some very common keyword like a dot (.) so norwell will display all of your history in front of you. You have to keep in mind that i'm not a professional programmer, i'm not a programmer at all. Early version of norwell had a bit more convenient way of traversing the recent history, but i had to drop it for simplicity sake, not to mention that native firefox functions are very buggy in that area and many other areas.
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

Well, it works ...
A little documentation could perhaps accelerate the first approach.
I imagine this extension would have saved me some time during a search a few weeks ago, I do not remember the details.
When I have the same type of search to do again I can tell you.
Thank you for your effort.
For the time being I am going to look for a way to separate pages in categories, probably with labels, to avoid to mix up technical searches, searches for a job, search to find a pizza for the lunch, and searches about the next holidays.
pista

Post by pista »

No matter if I enable limits or not, Norwell continues to show ONLY today visits. Why?
In this way, it is useless.
pirst

Post by pirst »

pista wrote:No matter if I enable limits or not, Norwell continues to show ONLY today visits. Why?
In this way, it is useless.
Anything is useless or dangerous if it doesn't work as advertised. Do you click on looking glass icon after selecting limits?