[Ext] GPU Accelerated Flash Player

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LAMj

Re: [Ext] GPU Accelerated Flash Player

Post by LAMj »

Should I be concern about security/malware issue that this is no longer in AMO? Should I uninstall this? I have v1.32 installed last.
mhanor

Post by mhanor »

I don't know the programming languages used in making the add-on, but I've looked at the code and it's very small and it looks clean and simple. That's the main reason I installed it in the first place. I also have a collection of different versions of this add-on. I've looked at the changes, from one version to the next. I think it's safe.
What concerns me is the decision of the developer to abandon and remove the add-on, after people praised him and maybe even rewarded him, financially. And all that without any explanation.
Last edited by mhanor on October 10th, 2014, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
WebVoyager

Post by WebVoyager »

As I understand it 'GPU Accelerated Flash Player' has been removed by its developer. Why, I have no idea. Perhaps a word of explanation would have been welcomed, but this is how life nowadays often is : politeness not to mention respect is an extra parameter seldom taken into consideration. I have sent, as maybe others, a PM to the developer concerning this surprising removal and have had no response at this time.

If 'GPU Accelerated Flash Player' was nasty no doubt IMO Mozilla would have, still would mention it. I don't think it's harmful, I still use it (version 1.33) but with its about:config 'plugins.force.wmode' set to 'direct'.

This is, remains IMO one of the best add-ons I've ever met for Firefox. I am stunned about its issue.

I forgot to mention : If I have to choose I still prefer a good add-on with lack of formal relational politeness than a poor add-on bathing in a perfect-kind-respectful environment. But this is personal.
I'm no longer here -- Cannot delete/close my profile -- Bye
Guastardo

Post by Guastardo »

Thanks to google I found the latest 1.34 version, I'm not an expert but it seems genuine. It can be dl here: mega.co.nz/#!QVc1ADAJ!p2irgNSc_QvvvZ-n8MRwjCvk8eqY-1_2WymipRYyvFw
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

The last comment posted by Stas was his thank you to someone who donated to him after having problems doing so because Stas lives in Russia. Wonder if that set off a chain of events that lead to the disappearance of GPU-AFP?

Another possibility is that Adobe/Mozilla didn't like his add-on injecting stuff into Flash. All of these are just speculation without any facts.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Guastardo wrote:Thanks to google I found the latest 1.34 version, I'm not an expert but it seems genuine. It can be dl here: mega.co.nz/#!QVc1ADAJ!p2irgNSc_QvvvZ-n8MRwjCvk8eqY-1_2WymipRYyvFw

source -

Code: Select all

http://bbs.kafan.cn/thread-1777528-1-1.html

as I remember correctly Mozilla approved his add-on on AMO and download button was in green, so someone must also reviewed it,
what's more nearly the same feature (I think that's it's enabled only for YouTube) provides the YouTube Center add-on,
so I don't think the removal of this add-on was dealt by Mozilla or even conspiracy theory about Adobe influenced Mozilla to delete it is kinda hard to believe.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

WebVoyager wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:Sorry folks, we don't allow live links to extensions that have not be vetted by AMO.

I ignored that and it is quite understandable, not to mention security issues.
But does this include all external links or only links to extensions not vetted by AMO?

For extensions and themes, only links to items that not vetted by AMO. Mozilla, if I am not mistaken, does allow folks to host their own extensions but they are still vetted at AMO. See this: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2737709

There are exceptions to this, that being a couple of folks who convert extensions for use in SeaMonkey . They have been doing it forever and are well known and trusted in that community.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Same vein as before:

http://imgur.com/uqGH9AU

Flash copy buttons only show as white boxes
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Pixel - look on first post in this thread...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

Well this is disconcerting, removed the add-on from Firefox, just in case.

Such a shame, it worked so well.