[Ext] BackTrack Tab History

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
avada

Re: [Ext] BackTrack Tab History

Post by avada »

AlexVallat wrote:Hi, extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeout is now obsolete, and can safely be reset/removed.

extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutTab is the used when opening a new tab.
extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutWindow is the used when opening a new window.

If you only want to copy history when opening a link in a new tab, and not in a new window (which is my own personal preference), then there's now the option to control the two separately. There are two checkboxes in the addon options to control whether history should be copied on a new tab, or a new window, or both. (Or neither, I guess, but then there's not much point).
Thanks for the update.
AlexVallat wrote:One minute sounds very long to me. You can always get it to recalculate an estimate by resetting the value and restarting. Or just manually set it to a value that suits you, depending on how slow Firefox is for you. Opening new windows is generally slower than new tabs, so I'd have that value be higher. On my machine I use 800ms for new tabs, and 1200ms for new windows, but Firefox runs quite quickly for me. If it generally takes longer than that for new windows or tabs to open for you, you will need a higher timeout.
It sounds long to me too. You did't think it was too long the last time when I shared my values. (79608, 61172) :)

Anyway I reset the values. Now I got ~18000 for tab and ~21500 or window. I'll keep tweaking it.
RandomUsername2

Post by RandomUsername2 »

Seems to be the only place to report a bug...

On Ubuntu Linux 16.10, after the most recent update of the add-on the "BackTrack Calibration Page" opens every time I start Firefox, but doesn't close automatically.

Thanks.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

RandomUsername2 wrote:Seems to be the only place to report a bug...
Yes, this is the correct place to report bugs. If you just want to resolve the issue for yourself, in about:config set the extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutTab and extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutWindow preferences to non-zero. They are in ms, so 1000 would be reasonable (for 1s after any click, a new tab or window is considered a child of the one clicked on).

If you'd like to help me determine why it's not closing automatically for you, then please tell me which version of Firefox you are running, whether you have Multiprocess (e10s) enabled or not. Also, disable BackTrack, restart Firefox, then open the Browser Console and enable BackTrack again. If anything appears in the Browser Console when you enable it, please let me know that too. Do both a calibration tab and a window remain open, or just one?
RandomUsername2

Post by RandomUsername2 »

AlexVallat wrote:
RandomUsername2 wrote:Seems to be the only place to report a bug...
Yes, this is the correct place to report bugs. If you just want to resolve the issue for yourself, in about:config set the extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutTab and extensions.backtrack.parentClickTimeoutWindow preferences to non-zero. They are in ms, so 1000 would be reasonable (for 1s after any click, a new tab or window is considered a child of the one clicked on).

If you'd like to help me determine why it's not closing automatically for you, then please tell me which version of Firefox you are running, whether you have Multiprocess (e10s) enabled or not. Also, disable BackTrack, restart Firefox, then open the Browser Console and enable BackTrack again. If anything appears in the Browser Console when you enable it, please let me know that too. Do both a calibration tab and a window remain open, or just one?
Thanks. Setting those values has worked. Not sure why they would have been 0 in the first place.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

RandomUsername2 wrote:Thanks. Setting those values has worked. Not sure why they would have been 0 in the first place.
Great. For information, the values are 0 to indicate that auto-calibration should be performed. The idea is that BackTrack opens a new tab and a new window, and times how long it takes (tab and window opening times can vary enormously between different setups). Then it sets the values accordingly. For some reason the auto-calibration system isn't working properly for you, and so it never sets the values, and keeps trying to calibrate.
avada

Post by avada »

Hi!

It seem that back/forward history is broken on nightly with child tabs, which inherit the history.
The items are there. The back button is active they just don't function.

I get some errors, probably some are related to this addon:

Code: Select all

RemoteAddonsParent.jsm:904:2
Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]  (ismeretlen):183

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.goBack]  browser-child.js:294
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.goBack] browser-child.js:294
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.goBack]  browser-child.js:294
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.gotoIndex]  browser-child.js:305

BackTrack:Chrome:Checking parent for new tab
BackTrack:Chrome:No parent to copy history from, Frame loaded 1256ms ago. Last parent seen 45918ms before that.
nsStyleSheetService::LoadAndRegisterSheet: URI contains unescaped hash character, which might be truncating the sheet, if it's a data URI.
Use of nsIFile in content process is deprecated.  loader.js:244:15
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

avada wrote:It seem that back/forward history is broken on nightly with child tabs, which inherit the history.
The items are there. The back button is active they just don't function.
Yes, the current release is broken for FF 53 and upwards. Version 0.15 has the fix, and will be available as soon as AMO finishes reviewing it. Thanks for the report and log details, though!
avada

Post by avada »

Doesn't seem to appear on AMO. Can you share the new version in a different way?
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

Apparently I'm at queue position 100 of 174. You can download it directly from http://backtrack.byalexv.co.uk/BackTrack.xpi but as it's not AMO signed Firefox will only let you install it if you have xpinstall.signatures.required disabled.
avada

Post by avada »

AlexVallat wrote:Apparently I'm at queue position 100 of 174. You can download it directly from http://backtrack.byalexv.co.uk/BackTrack.xpi but as it's not AMO signed Firefox will only let you install it if you have xpinstall.signatures.required disabled.
Thanks!
garibaldo

Post by garibaldo »

Have you considered adding a privacy policy? After the WOT debacle I'm very skeptical. It would be somewhat reassuring if you explicitly stated that nothing is collected and/or transfered.
Thanks for the great addon.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

I can confirm explicitly that no data is transferred to any server, it makes no external connections at all. This add-on doesn't do anything except for fulfil its primary purpose; it does not advertise or generate revenue in any other way. There is a "Contribute" button in the AMO listing for donations, and that's it.

I suppose if you click the Help button to view the Help page then your IP address and browser user-agent would end up in the http access logs for my website hosting the Help page, but to be honest I never look at those.
avada

Post by avada »

Hi Alex!

I'm not sure if you want to continue fixing this addon. But it is claimed that BTH causes "lazy browsers" to be inserted:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1360148#c1
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

Hi, yes, I will continue to maintain this addon as long as Mozilla maintain an unlocked edition of Firefox that can run it. I will investigate this issue and post a development channel build for testing once I've resolved it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
avada

Post by avada »

It seems like the issue was fixed on firefox's side: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1360148#c2