[Ext] BackTrack Tab History

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pintassilgo

Re: [Ext] BackTrack Tab History

Post by pintassilgo »

Thank you.

Today, XPCOMUtils.generateQI was replaced by ChromeUtils.generateQI (1484466), but since you taget DevEd I will not post this kind of thing anymore, unless it reaches DevEd.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

Thanks, no, that actually is super useful. I just got an email from Mozilla saying that they would not accept any updates to addons that were not WebExtensions from September 6th, so my new plan is to target the Nightly of September 5th! This fix, and any others between now and then, will go into a final update just before the deadline.

After that, we'll see what the further possibilities are. I had hoped to be able to do something WebExtension Experiment based, but unless there's any movement on (1460555) it's not going to work.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

That's why I think that AutoConfig may be the future, despite being complicated to set up. It may be the only way to run unrestricted code.

---
pintassilgo wrote:The same for the two

Code: Select all

openLinkIn
in calibration code.
0.21 hasn't added triggeringPrincipal in openLinkIn (Auto-Calibrate button).
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1364392
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

I was trying to think of a solution to keep it on AMO, if at all possible. I know AMO doesn't allow Experiments on there, but I'm not sure of the policy on addons which are not experiments themselves, but depend on experiments. If that's not allowed either then it probably won't be possible to keep it on AMO at all, and I'll have to look for somewhere else to list it.

I'll make sure the auto-calibrate code works before the September 5th deadline.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

I have uploaded a new version of BackTrack Tab History that changes from being a Legacy extension with embedded WebExtension to being a WebExtension with embedded Legacy extension. The reason for this is that Mozilla removed embedded WebExtension support from Firefox 65 (1500265)

In order to make this work, the WebExtension experiment LegacyHelper must be installed. At present there is still an open bug 1460555 which means that WebExtensions that depend on WebExtension experiments don't enable properly when fully installed (rather than temporarily loaded), so it might take some manual enabling and disabling until Firefox finally enables it properly.

I've tagged this as compatible with FF65 (Nightly, at time of writing), as FF64 still works with the old system. However, the new version should also be compatible with 64 so if anyone would like to use it with 64 already, it can be manually installed.
PeterBurner

Post by PeterBurner »

hi @AlexVallat, thanks for your great addon
I am using the Temporary Containers addon
it creates a new container every time I navigate to another domain, hence the back/forward history is only available within the same domain
thanks to your addon the history is copied like it normally would without containers
unfortunately if I navigate back from one domain to a previous one the history of the back and forward button goes missing
I know your addon is primarily intended to be used with tabs but could you look into it?
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

Hi @PeterBurner, I've installed Temporary Containers and have been trying to reproduce the issue without success. Are you using BackTrack Tab History v0.26? Do you have the "Go back to other tab" preference turned on for BackTrack? There are a whole lot of options in Temporary Containers, are you able to give me a minimum configuration that reproduces the issue?

The steps I took, after installing Temporary Containers:
1) Enable Isolation/Global/Left mouse/If the clicked Link Domain does not exactly match the current Tabs Domain (Subdomains also get isolated)
2) Go to example.com
3) Left Click "More information..." link
This results in a new tab opening in a temporary container. The new tab has the back button enabled, with "Example Domain" as the history. Clicking the back button results in either closing the new tab and focusing the example.com tab (if "Go back to other tab" is turned on for BackTrack) or navigating to Example Domain in the same temporary container if the "Go back to other tab" is turned off.
PeterBurner

Post by PeterBurner »

Ah sorry
I have enabled the "Automatic Mode" and the option "Isolation/Global/Navigating in Tabs should open new Temporary Containers" for domains
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

OK, I see what the problem is. The new tab opened by navigating back to a different domain does not have the history copied to it because BackTrack does not consider it to be a child tab of the current tab. It is not opened as a result of a click on the page content, so it's regarded more like opening a bookmark or entering a new URL, or clicking the New Tab button. Middle-clicking or Shift-clicking on History menu entries gets special treatment too. But arbitrary tabs opened by other addons cannot be automatically regarded as chidren of the current page.

I think this is going to have to be as-design, though, I don't want it to copy history to all new tabs. Your best bet is tweaking some of the (many, many) settings of Temporary Containers to get a workflow that meets your requirements. As far as BackTrack is concerned, if a tab is opened as a result of a click on a page, it is considered a child of that page.
PeterBurner

Post by PeterBurner »

OK
thanks
talkingleaf

Post by talkingleaf »

Hi @AlexVallat, I left the review from earlier today at AMO. Your add-on really improves my quality of life, so your work on it is much appreciated. It hasn't been working for me for a while, however. I use the Developer Edition, primarily so I can use your extension. I've been traveling extensively for several months, away from my primary computer, so I'm not sure when it quit working for me exactly. I installed Nightly earlier today to see if worked with a clean install, and it did not. I checked extensions.experiments.enabled setting per your suggestion, and it's set to true in both my nightly and developer instances. Additionally, it appears that none of the preferences are holding at all in the Nightly instance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any further information.
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

Hello @talkingleaf. I have got this working in Nightly, so it should be possible in principle. When it starts playing up like this I often find that the best thing to do is to start enabling and disabling the Legacy Helper add-on and then BackTrack Tab History Add-On until something shakes loose and Firefox actually loads them. As long as the necessary preferences (xpinstall.signatures.required = false and extensions.legacy.enabled = true) are both set then it should be able to load. Once they load correctly it seems to be fine even after restart, but the whole experiments loading thing is very fragile. It would be nice to think it might be improved in the future, but unfortunately it looks more likely that they will just remove support for them entirely.
talkingleaf

Post by talkingleaf »

I do have the prefs set correctly. I'll try the enabling/disabling trick and see if that fixes it for me. I wouldn't be surprised if experiments support is removed, though disappointed. Mozilla seems to be discouraging configuration & user freedom these days, alas. At any rate, thank you for your assistance!
AlexVallat

Post by AlexVallat »

BackTrack Tab History now has a new home! Mozilla have delisted it from AMO, so I've reworked it to no longer depend on the LegacyHelper addon, and instead use xiaoxiaoflood's UserChromeJS method of installing legacy addons. BackTrack Tab History can now be found at https://github.com/xiaoxiaoflood/firefo ... /backtrack with instructions on how to get legacy addons working using UserChromeJS at https://github.com/xiaoxiaoflood/firefo ... structions
avada

Post by avada »

AlexVallat wrote:BackTrack Tab History now has a new home! Mozilla have delisted it from AMO, so I've reworked it to no longer depend on the LegacyHelper addon, and instead use xiaoxiaoflood's UserChromeJS method of installing legacy addons. BackTrack Tab History can now be found at https://github.com/xiaoxiaoflood/firefo ... /backtrack with instructions on how to get legacy addons working using UserChromeJS at https://github.com/xiaoxiaoflood/firefo ... structions
Hi!

Information on these sort of things is sparce, so I hope you don't minde me asking, that does this legacy helper allow me to install legacy addons in general (some of which might even function properly)?
Does the mentioned UserChromeJS method accomplish the same thing?

I noticed that I can install the linked Backtrack version directly with Waterfox current. (Though I think it might be best to use mainline Firefox if addons can be also be installed on it as well, even if it requires extra tinkering)