MozillaZine

Flashblock Click to View

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Gut-Brain

Post Posted January 16th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Firefox: 35.0
Flashblock: 1.5.18

Hi,

Up until recently I have been able to use Flashblock to block YouTube videos until I click to view. Unfortunately this is no longer the case - I now have to use the 'Allow Flash from This Site' option in order to view a video.

At this point I assumed it was down to an update, causing Flashblock to interact differently with YouTube.

I tested the same Flashblock-Firefox configuration on another machine and it worked perfectly making it all the more confusing.

I've tried several other things to remedy this, including:

• Completely uninstalling Firefox & its Directories.
  • Having Flashblock as the only Extension installed.
  • Uninstalling Flash & using Adobe's Clean-Up Tool

Nothing has worked so far.

I hope someone can help as I find the Click-to-play option useful and that it might be down to something simple I have overlooked.

Thanks

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted January 17th, 2015, 7:14 pm

YouTube has make a bunch of changes that break Flashblock. They apparently have an overlay image covering the Flashblock notice:

morat wrote:
tommyk wrote:Flash Block worked great up until a few days ago now it's useless on You Tube. Flash Block works on all other websites but not You Tube.

I can get it working on YouTube if I add a filter rule to Adblock Plus.

Code: Select all
youtube.com###theater-background

Flashblock 1.5.17
Firefox ESR 31.4.0
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit

Secondly, YouTube has gotten more aggressive in forcing Firefox users to receive HTML5 instead of Flash and Flashblock is apparently currently not working correctly with HTML5 video. Hopefully some of these changes will settle down and Philip will have a chance to update Flashblock to work with all of it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Gut-Brain

Post Posted January 18th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Hi Patrick, & thanks for your reply.

I had already seen the post quoted & which you have kindly alerted me to. So, does this mean that Flashblock has to be used in conjunction with Adblock +?

Thanks again

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted January 18th, 2015, 1:24 pm

If you don't have AdBlock, you can accomplish the same with userContent.css or Stylish:

Code: Select all
@-moz-document domain(youtube.com) {
   #theater-background { display:none;}
}
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Gut-Brain

Post Posted January 18th, 2015, 2:09 pm

As it happens I use Adblock......I added the custom filter and Flashblock no longer stops the video from playing; which is not what I was hoping for. I would YT vids to blocked by Flashblock until I click on the Flashblock icon, as shown in the screenshot. Anyway round this?

morat

Post Posted January 23rd, 2015, 10:10 am

Gut-Brain wrote:I now have to use the 'Allow Flash from this site' option in order to view a video.

Gut-Brain wrote:I added the custom filter and Flashblock no longer stops the video from playing.

Did you remember to remove the whitelist entry?

Similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2907347

Return to Extension/Theme Releases