[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by pag77 »

slyisby wrote:Did that, but that only saves the html file, not the add-on. Or is that correct?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/duhjgetj7ztc5 ... m%2Btb.xpi

Last edited by pag77 on May 13th, 2017, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

slyisby wrote:
pegasusjavea wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Go to the location offered above ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sion-2.4.8 ) then click on the blue "Add to Firefox" button at the right of the entry.
Not quite correct and perhaps not detailed enough for slyisby:
1. Right-click on green "Add to Firefox" button at the right of the entry
2. In drop-down menu, click on "Save Link As..."
3. Look where you are saving it then click on "Save" button
Did that, but that only saves the html file, not the add-on. Or is that correct?

Hovering the mouse over the link above you should see a 'green box - Add to Firefox' pop-up into view
There on that green box right-click and use: Save link as... Should be .xpi file.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

Firs of all compliments for the great work on new 3.4 web extensions version.
Very fast and nice to see in the compact save space panel.

Now a suggestion for correct a small text problem.
At moment the info text group (Wind, Visibility, Pressure and Precipation) are align in the center in "Now panel" and to the right for the next days.
This is not consistent in my opinion, bad to view and in addition in case of long text (depends also by the language used) like in "Pleasant and Warmer" info, the panel becomes wider.

My suggestion is align these text groups to the left, in this way is nice to view and in case of long text like (UV Index: Moderate (3) Sunburn: 45 minutes) nothing change in panel size.
Thank you very much.

Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
slyisby

Post by slyisby »

Thanks! I see what I was doing wrong. Got it now.
StormChild

Post by StormChild »

@Oleksandr (@pag77): it would be nice to have v3.4's popup panel always visible on the bottom of Firefox with v2.4.8's original layout - I'm sure you're able to make Forecastfox (fix version) even better, and while status bar's slow death is not your fault (it's Mozilla's), I just loved the original layout... One quick blink at the bottom of Firefox and I saw what will the weather be like in the forthcoming 5 days.

BTW, I have a 4K display as main, everything is scaled up to 150%, and Forecastfox's new (and I hope only temporary :)) panel is way too small (I assume it's exactly two-thirds of the needed size).

So @Oleksandr, keep up the good work, and fix what Mozilla has ruined!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

pag77,
I do use Forecastfox in my Firefox v20, but by a different author. Sorry.
But, I use your version 2.4.8 in Firefox v50
I "do the rounds" of the fora, so to speak, just to keep an Image on things.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

I don't like the fix version which does not post the results in the add-on bar. I was fooled twice by your fix! ](*,)
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
testplayer

Post by testplayer »

testplayer wrote:I know it's Mozilla's problem, but can the developer provide a shortcut/link to the old version at every possible place such that we don't need to waste time even more to find it?? Thank you.
Let me re-emphasize my point more clearly: Even Mozilla itself has an ESR channel for the people who hate change to defer any major change to the release channel, so that people can have a buffer period, and they know there exists an ESR channel and don't need to panic or waste time to find it when any unwanted change happens.

But for this extension, it just happened suddenly, without any prior notice or warning. I know this is not the developer's fault, but much worse is that, after this sudden and unwanted change happened silently due to automatic update of extensions/addons used by most users, the developer didn't put any direct download link or guide at whatever place that is easy to be seen or found by the users who want to revert back to the old version. The developer should at least post the direct download link of old version in the first post of this thread AND the "About this Add-on" section at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x-version/, so that we can find it easily and don't need to panic and waste a lot of time. This step is quite simple and trivial, but I don't see the reason why the developer didn't do so. Again, most people are busy and they don't have time to play with whatever settings/preferences of Firefox or its extensions on a daily basis or on a random day when an unwanted big change just happened suddenly and silently. These busy people hate changes, and software developer should know that!

Simply saying "But do not worry, I'll come up with a workaround and will return Forecastfox previous form" without providing a direct download link of the old version is NOT a reasonable solution to this problem!!!
Last edited by testplayer on May 13th, 2017, 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

walkerpbus,
Please, take the time to re-read this thread to understand the reasons why it's changed.
&, please do not be so negative about this "modified" extension.
pag77 had to make a decision as to which way to progress.....So, if you do not like his
extension, then you may like to go & find another one that suits your requirements.
O.K.?
It's all due to what Mozilla.org have decided "what's best for us."
Crapola.

@testplayer,
You will find all the previous versions on his Addons page.
Scroll down to the bottom & you'll find the link/s, as posted James, just over the page...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14747554

"Busy people who hate change"?
Really?
Did you ever take the time to consider what pag77 has to contend with?
Just read this thread & then try to be a little more considerate.
He has a family etc., etc., as well......& he does not need or deserve all the angst thrown at him.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

pag77,
Thanks for the effort in preparing the add-on for the future Firefox direction. Changes to your add-on may not be liked by some, but in this case, it is a necessity. Please continue the good work.

I run Released, Nightly and Beta versions. Perhaps it is related to other add-on combinations, on one build, I was not able to "Accept" the location, in a different case, it would not load the google map. I was able to properly install and choose the location in one of the build, and subsequently copied the storage.js file in \browser-extension-data\forecastfox@s3_fix_version from one profile to another.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

happysurf wrote:Now a suggestion for correct a small text problem....
I had this option, but then there will be holes - a lot of empty space

LIMPET235, thank you for your answer :)

walkerpbus, StormChild, please wait new versions
testplayer wrote: But for this extension, it just happened suddenly, without any prior notice or warning.
version 2.4.8 (last for XUL-technology) - is broken: City search does not work
I could not fix and make version 2.4.9, because 2.4.8 uses the outdated version of jQuery
jQuery 1.x is now forbidden by Mozilla, read more: https://bit.ly/1TRIyZY
and I had to choose - either completely rewrite code for WebExtensions (version 3.4) or completely rewrite code for a new jQuery (version 2.4.9)
I chose WebExtensions.
StyxKee wrote:I run Released, Nightly and Beta versions. Perhaps it is related to other add-on combinations, on one build, I was not able to "Accept" the location, in a different case, it would not load the google map.
You use NoScript?
testplayer

Post by testplayer »

LIMPET235 wrote: @testplayer,
You will find all the previous versions on his Addons page.
Scroll down to the bottom & you'll find the link/s, as posted James, just over the page...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14747554
I know, but it took me some time to find it. Why not just put it below the "But do not worry, I'll come up with a workaround and will return Forecastfox previous form" or right below "!!!!! About version 3.x !!!!!"? It will make our life quite a lot easier.
And I don't think most people have the time to navigate to page 29 or 34 of this thread...
Last edited by testplayer on May 13th, 2017, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

"Navigate to Page 34......."
One darn click. That's all it takes.
&, you can't be bothered, even after I posted the link for you?
Wowser!

testplayer

Post by testplayer »

LIMPET235 wrote:"Navigate to Page 34......."
One darn click. That's all it takes.
&, you can't be bothered, even after I posted the link for you?
Wowser!
Sorry, people like me use Firefox + Zotero to read scientific papers and do research in almost every minute we are on the computer, occasionally we need to know the weather. We simply don't have time to adapt to any major change, we even don't have time to search for the old versions. My suggestion is just trying to make our life easier and reduce any panic or annoying when any unwanted change happens suddenly and silently.
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

pag77 wrote:
StyxKee wrote:I run Released, Nightly and Beta versions. Perhaps it is related to other add-on combinations, on one build, I was not able to "Accept" the location, in a different case, it would not load the google map.
You use NoScript?
I figured out the one with NoScript: That was the one loading the map, but would not allow me to "accept" the location. Disabling NoScript worked in that case.

On FF Nightly (55.0a1 (2017-05-13) (64-bit)), I cannot get the google map within Forecastfox (fix) to load. No issue in loading maps from https://www.google.com/map on an individual tab.