[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by pag77 »

Original Forecastfox Weather add-on for Mozilla Firefox is abandoned October 6, 2012:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/forecastfox-weather/

Does it mean its death? Of course not! It has been reborn! I brought it back to life!
Now it is called Forecastfox (fix version) and works with all Firefox versions.
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/forecastfox-fix-version/

Please before use, remove or disable the original Forecastfox Weather!

=====================
What is Forecastfox?

Get international weather forecasts from AccuWeather.com and display them in any toolbar or statusbar with this highly customizable and unobtrusive extension.

=====================
Forecastfox (fix version) - correction relative to the original Forecastfox Weather

wizardgmb1

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by wizardgmb1 »

Thank you for picking up the dropped ball! This is a great extension that I've been using since its inception.

Over the years, I tried several times to get the author to correct a bug but he ignored me. The timing setting for rotating between locations doesn't work properly at refresh rates below a minute. I currently have my ForecastFox set for 0.1 minutes (6 seconds) but the actual refresh rate is 15 seconds. With five locations watched, it takes over a minute to cycle through, far too long.

If you can find the time please correct the < 1 minute problem. Most settings of this type are coded in seconds, I don't understand why the author used minutes. Your efforts may be better spent by removing the minutes & fractions setting code altogether and replacing it with 0-120 seconds code so users don't have to convert from minutes to seconds when setting shorter intervals.

The extension also needs to include a positive indication when readings for a particular location aren't available. Currently, if readings for my rural home location aren't available, the extension retains the previous location and readings for a second interval. I'd like to see the place name followed by"No Readings" or "No Data" when readings aren't available.

Keep up the good work!
pag77

Post by pag77 »

thank you for your suggestion!
i added this in work plan
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

[quote="wizardgmb1"Most settings of this type are coded in seconds, I don't understand why the author used minutes. Your efforts may be better spent by removing the minutes & fractions setting code altogether and replacing it with 0-120 seconds code so users don't have to convert from minutes to seconds when setting shorter intervals.[/quote]

Probably because there is very little guarantee that a timer will actually run with that kind of precision in Firefox. A heavily-loading website or download could bog the interface down and there would be noticeable lag in the timer. With longer delay times, any UI lags wouldn't be noticed.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
pag77

Post by pag77 »

wizardgmb1 wrote:but the actual refresh rate is 15 seconds

you're right.
is a limit of 0.25 (15sec)

Code: Select all

var interval = Math.max(0.25, rotate.interval);

I reduce the limit to 0.1 (6 seconds)
Ark42

Post by Ark42 »

Any chance you can update the icons for HiDPI support? I see that there are larger versions of the icons in the XPI but the 15px versions are used and stretched to 30px actual display on HiDPI (192dpi).
pag77

Post by pag77 »

in tooltip or in bar?
Ark42

Post by Ark42 »

Oh I was only talking about in the toolbar. The red octagon with the ! in it, and the green radar circle for example.

Yeah, the tooltip uses the larger version already, so it would be tough to add HiDPI support there. You're not always staring at that though, so it's less of an obvious issue.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

I will add if you draw :)
Ark42

Post by Ark42 »

Lots already exist in forecastfox@s3_fix_version.xpi/chrome/skin/default/large but the /small version are being used instead.
Oh I just noticed only swa.png has a large version already. 4 files don't exist in large that exist in small. I'll see if I can find or make replacements, but I'm not an artist really.

Also there are things like forecastfox@s3_fix_version.xpi/icon.png which is 32px but there already exists forecastfox@s3_fix_version.xpi/chrome/skin/images/logo128.png that is 128px. I think icon.png at 64px could be useful for the Addons list page in Firefox too.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

ok)
Ark42

Post by Ark42 »

Can you use SVG files? Are you open to replacing graphics with free* versions like http://pixabay.com/en/proximity-radar-e ... en-150698/ ?
If you need PNG, I can certainly take that and make you a 15px and 30px version.

*License: CC0 Public Domain / FAQ / Free for commercial use / No attribution required
pag77

Post by pag77 »

please, let's postpone it for a 1-2 month - I have plans other global improvements :)
thank you!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you may get some german translation from milupo from the german firefox-forum camp-firefox.de

all are glad you adopted this extension
pag77

Post by pag77 »

i know :)
2.2.5-pre: changes:
updated: Germany locale (thanks milupo, http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewto ... 05#p954304)