[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LIMPET235

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by LIMPET235 »

For testplayer...
If you don't like the forecastfox extension , then see if this suits...
> http://downloads.tomsguide.com/Desktop- ... 51594.html
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Netscaper

Post by Netscaper »

I can't even speak the truth about Mozilla w/o them deleting my reviews. Whatever they did with this, they totally f'd it up. They took a good decent working item and made into a living hell for all of us. It serves no purpose. There must be a reason for a thread lie this, right?
pag77

Post by pag77 »

I did some tests and I can return the statusbar, but with a few restrictions:

1. Addon Permissions: Access your data for all websites
2. Statusbar will not be displayed on some sites: mozilla.org and google.com
3. Statusbar will not be displayed on sites that do not have pages, for example error 404 (page not found)
4. Statusbar will not be displayed on internal Firefox pages, for example about:addons, about:config, etc.
5. Statusbar will not be displayed on the WebExtensions pages "moz-extension://...."

Do I need to continue working?
Or statusbar with such restrictions do not need for users?

it is the current working prototype:
pag77

Post by pag77 »

StyxKee wrote:
pag77 wrote:
StyxKee wrote:I run Released, Nightly and Beta versions. Perhaps it is related to other add-on combinations, on one build, I was not able to "Accept" the location, in a different case, it would not load the google map.
You use NoScript?
I figured out the one with NoScript: That was the one loading the map, but would not allow me to "accept" the location. Disabling NoScript worked in that case.

On FF Nightly (55.0a1 (2017-05-13) (64-bit)), I cannot get the google map within Forecastfox (fix) to load. No issue in loading maps from https://www.google.com/map on an individual tab.
I just checked in the new clean profile at 55.0a1 (2017-05-13) (32-bit) and did not find any problems
StyxKee

Post by StyxKee »

pag77 wrote:
StyxKee wrote: On FF Nightly (55.0a1 (2017-05-13) (64-bit)), I cannot get the google map within Forecastfox (fix) to load. No issue in loading maps from https://www.google.com/map on an individual tab.
I just checked in the new clean profile at 55.0a1 (2017-05-13) (32-bit) and did not find any problems
I just tried a clean profile for Nightly 55.0a1 but no luck. I wonder if the issue has something to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit. (No issue on Beta 64-bit though :-k )
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

Gone Postal wrote:
littlebuddie wrote:With all respect to the developer of this Forecastfox (fix), thanks for the good intentions but why change a perfectly great program if it isn't broken, and swap in a new version without my knowledge or acceptance I sure did not like the newest version. I reverted back to version 2.4.8 today and am happy again - happy, happy, happy!
The developer (pag77) has already explained that v2.4.8 will not work after November 2017 because of the changes Mozilla are making to Firefox. Whether we like it or not, v2.4.8 will be broken at that point. You've not many months left of "happy, happy, happy!" unless the developer finds a workaround so it would be good to support him rather than shooting him down.

In Linux, especially Ubuntu, it is very easy to stop the upgrading of Firefox if you want to keep your legacy extensions going, especially if you use apt-get for your software update management. At a Terminal window issue the command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold firefox firefox-locale-en
(enter password if prompted)

This will prevent any upgrades to Firefox until you issue the countermanding command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark unhold firefox firefox-locale-en
(N.B. The downside to this is of course you don't get security updates to Firefox.)

To keep your extensions from updating automatically, in the Add-ons Manager pull down the gear menu and untick "Set add-ons to update automatically".

Now for extensions to update you must pull down the gear down menu and select "Check for updates" In the left column of the Manager window click on "Recent Updates". Untick any extensions (such as Forecast Fox) that you do not with to update.

HTH :mrgreen:
testplayer

Post by testplayer »

LIMPET235 wrote: "Busy people who hate change"?
Really?
Did you ever take the time to consider what pag77 has to contend with?
Just read this thread & then try to be a little more considerate.
He has a family etc., etc., as well......& he does not need or deserve all the angst thrown at him.
I completely understand the miserable situation that Mozilla created to all of us and the meaningless criticism that pag77 has to face, and that's why I didn't blame him for the change at the first place. However, it is very easy to make this change not so terrible and uncomfortable like this, and I'm sure my suggestion can reduce a lot of meaningless complaints he received. My suggestion is just a simple and trivial step to do, it won't take any more time than pasting the same reply to those pissed-offs at http://addons.mozilla.org/. That's why I don't think my complaint at here is anything inordinate.
testplayer

Post by testplayer »

LIMPET235 wrote:For testplayer...
If you don't like the forecastfox extension , then see if this suits...
> http://downloads.tomsguide.com/Desktop- ... 51594.html
I no longer use any software that requires installation since 2012, except for MATLAB and OneNote, which I have to in order to make a living. Currently almost all my software are on PortableApps.com platform or LiberKey suite, this includes Fireforx portable.
testplayer

Post by testplayer »

Netscaper wrote:I can't even speak the truth about Mozilla w/o them deleting my reviews. Whatever they did with this, they totally f'd it up. They took a good decent working item and made into a living hell for all of us. It serves no purpose. There must be a reason for a thread lie this, right?
I'm not a fan of conspiracy theory, but Mozilla is really becoming more and more evil like Google. I hope some day, people who are pissed off can stand up and make a real community democratically maintained browser for all of us, where we the user can determine what feature to add or axe.
James

Post by James »

Netscaper wrote:I can't even speak the truth about Mozilla w/o them deleting my reviews.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/12 ... oderation/
https://addons.mozilla.org/review_guide

The reviews are for well reviewing the Extension, not for support, rants, attacks or such.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

democratically maintained browser for all of us, where we the user can determine what feature to add or axe.
And all it will take is a hundred million strangers agreeing on which features and functions will be included. The finished product design should in hand about the time my grandchildren are ready to retire.
sideburns

Post by sideburns »

I found that Forecastfox had "upgraded" itself this morning without my knowledge. It moved to a different location on the window, where it was hard to find, and had set itself to show the weather for New York City when I live in Southern California. It also changed its UI to show just a button with the current temperature and sky condition unless I click on it, instead of the several days at a glance that I want. It also keeps failing to respond to mouse clicks until I close and restart Firefox, which is not exactly the behavior of a program that's ready to be sent out into the Real World. If nothing else, please tell me how to get back the look and feel of the old, classic version because I'd never suggest that anybody install or use this "upgraded" add-on.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

sideburns wrote:which is not exactly the behavior of a program that's ready to be sent out into the Real World.
Reading some of the posts here, it seems that there are a good few users of this extension who are not ready to be sent out into the Real World either.
sideburns wrote:If nothing else, please tell me how to get back the look and feel of the old, classic version...
Try clicking 'Version Information' here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x-version/ and see what happens. Hopefully, you can figure it out from there.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
sideburns

Post by sideburns »

...and your point is? I now have version 3.4, Firefox 53.0 and Fedora 25, fully updated. Instead of throwing gratuitous insults at users who find the latest version doesn't work reliably, you might consider offering some suggestions as to how they might get things working again. Or, you can just sit there on your high horse and feel superior to the peasants. Whichever floats your boat.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seriously how long do we have to hold your hand for?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"