[EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] Forecastfox (fix version)

Post by pag77 »

version 4.2
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/foreca ... x-version/

changes:
added: "Dew point" for current condition
added: weather forecast in the tooltip on the toolbar button
added: Options: Forecastbar: Exclude links
added: ContextMenu for Forecastbar
fixed: automatically change zoom the Forecastbar when Page is zooming
fixed: automatically hide the Forecastbar for PrintPreview/PrintMode
fixed: minor bug fixes
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

@pag77

After reading the reasons for the changes, I apologize for ranting at you about them and making an assumption about the latest changes regarding the user end-experience. I don't generally "open mouth, insert foot, and chew vigorously" as it were, but I take my comeuppances and am embarrassed to reveal my unintentional lack-of-knowledge this round. Although I don't like the changes afoot, thank you for staying ahead of the curve and maintaining Forecastfox for all. ;-)

That said, is it possible to make it so that it can be placed on tool bars etc outside the actual web page where it currently resides, if not now, possibly in the future? I'm not a coder or developer, although based on what little I've read so far I'm guessing web page intrusion is the future for things of this nature, or am I not seeing the big picture? Thanks...

Kindest Regards,
BigThunder1
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

It disappears in the add-on page; I'm not sure other pages.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

BigThunder1 wrote:That said, is it possible to make it so that it can be placed on tool bars etc outside the actual web page where it currently resides, if not now, possibly in the future?
Yes, after toolbar API lands: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215064
Sorry for my poor English.
rebop

Post by rebop »

Hi there,

I keep trying your latest versions but no matter what I do I cannot get it to look anything like previous versions I loved where all icons are in the status bar next to my downloads icon, for example. Closest is a new tall bar above my tabs on the bottom.

What might I be doing wrong? I can likely post an image of what I want to keep and lose each time I update if need be and they above is not a sufficient explanation.

And thanks!

~Bob
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

rebop wrote:Hi there,

I keep trying your latest versions but no matter what I do I cannot get it to look anything like previous versions I loved where all icons are in the status bar next to my downloads icon, for example. Closest is a new tall bar above my tabs on the bottom.

What might I be doing wrong? I can likely post an image of what I want to keep and lose each time I update if need be and they above is not a sufficient explanation.

And thanks!

~Bob
If you have the stamina and curiosity to read back over the last half dozen pages you will see that the Firefox management are making some major changes to the way that addons work. Unfortunately that includes removing a lot of the functionality that ForecastFox used to use. Oleksander (pag77) has done his best to recreate ForecastFox under the new system but what you have is as best as can be managed. You can change the number of entries that show in the Forecast bar or in the tooltip from the toolbar icon and also switch between horizontal and vertcal display by going to the ForecastFox option so you will hopefully be able to configure something suitable for your purposes.
progkix

Post by progkix »

Firefox 54.0 on Fedora 25 X64.

I have repeatedly installed / uninstalled Forecastfox (fix version) not because of the new placement but because I cannot get the Automatically switch locations time setting to work.

If I turn the option off, change the time setting to anything other 0.05 minutes and turn the option back on, the time setting reverts to 0.05 minutes.

With the option on, it switches locations before I can even get the time setting selected let alone change.

I think maybe a default of 0.05 minutes is entirely too short. I usually set mine at either 15 or 30 minutes.

Any other way to change that setting?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

I have found a minor issue. If you click on the Icon in the NavBar then hover you mouse around the top/left/right sides of the Icon you will get the 'text display' shown over the Display

See image here http://imgur.com/a/fA6HF
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Version 4.2 serious problem: Two computers, both running Fx 54.0.1 with Windows 10 Home. When I have updated ForecastFox from 4.1 to 4.2, instead of what I see on the task bar, what I see with 4.2 is a very long and meaningless bar; no text, no images, no use.

I hesitated to post this until now, as I had just updated to 4.2 on my wife's computer, and got the same result. I have not yet taken the time to test to see if there is a bad interaction with another extension that is on both computers, I have not taken and posted a screen shot, I have not see anyone else reporting the strange failure of version 4.2, I have only reverted to 4.1. This post is to inquire if anyone has any information, solutions, incantations, or other methods of properly using 4.2 before I take the time to start testing, etc.
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

GHM113 wrote:
BigThunder1 wrote:That said, is it possible to make it so that it can be placed on tool bars etc outside the actual web page where it currently resides, if not now, possibly in the future?
Yes, after toolbar API lands: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215064
Hi GHM113; Thank you for your reply and the link. A good read, and some hope for things to improve for tool bar placement, drop-down menu's, etc. Seems it will be just that, a major task implementing the tool-bar API because the dev's will not only have to fix (and/or implement work-arounds) the examples noted in that thread that other brand-browser dev's have tried, but might have to come up with an entirely new approach to the problem altogether if the existing attempts of other brand-browser examples don't work, or are not reasonably do-able. Hopefully, if that's needed, the existing attempts and examples by others will open the doorway to ideas for a totally new, alternative, rewritten working API.

Again, thank you for your help GHM113. Much appreciated! :wink:

Kindest Regards,
BigThunder1
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother
rebop

Post by rebop »

Gone Postal wrote:
rebop wrote:Hi there,

And thanks!

~Bob
If you have the stamina and curiosity to read back over the last half dozen pages you will see that the Firefox management are making some major changes to the way that addons work. Unfortunately that includes removing a lot of the functionality that ForecastFox used to use. Oleksander (pag77) has done his best to recreate ForecastFox under the new system but what you have is as best as can be managed. You can change the number of entries that show in the Forecast bar or in the tooltip from the toolbar icon and also switch between horizontal and vertcal display by going to the ForecastFox option so you will hopefully be able to configure something suitable for your purposes.
Thanks. I could almost use the tool tip, but it is ALWAYS visible, not just when I hover or click. Am I missing a setting for that?

Thanks again.

~Bob
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Suspect we are talking about different things then. If the bar you are seeing is sprouting from the bottom right of the web-page you are looking at it is not the tooltip it is the Weather Forecast Bar. If you click the icon in the bottom right hand corner of the bar it should collapse the bar. In the ForecastFox options you can either disable the bar completely or set it to display horizontally rather than vertically when it is opened. You can also configure the data the bar shows.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

BigThunder1 wrote:That said, is it possible to make it so that it can be placed on tool bars...
walkerpbus wrote:It disappears in the add-on page; I'm not sure other pages.
rebop wrote:I keep trying your latest versions but no matter what I do I cannot get it to look anything like previous versions...
I'm sorry but there is no
This is the restriction of WebExtensions:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ersion-4.1
3. Forecast bar will not be displayed on some sites from mozilla.org and google.com
4. Forecast bar will not be displayed on sites that do not have pages, for example error 404 (page not found)
5. Forecast bar will not be displayed on internal Firefox and GoogleChrome pages, for example about:addons , about:config , chrome://extensions/ , chrome://settings/ , etc.
6. Forecast bar will not be displayed on the WebExtensions pages "moz-extension://...." , "chrome-extension://...."
7. Forecast bar may not be displayed correctly on some sites. In this case, report the problem on the forum
progkix wrote:If I turn the option off, change the time setting to anything other 0.05 minutes and turn the option back on, the time setting reverts to 0.05 minutes.
With the option on, it switches locations before I can even get the time setting selected let alone change.
I think maybe a default of 0.05 minutes is entirely too short. I usually set mine at either 15 or 30 minutes.
Any other way to change that setting?
turn off autoupdate forecast - click to 0.05 - write new number - press key Enter for save new data - turn on autoupdate
TheVisitor wrote:I have found a minor issue. If you click on the Icon in the NavBar then hover you mouse around the top/left/right sides of the Icon you will get the 'text display' shown over the Display
This is normal - this is the mechanism for the tooltips in Firefox and Google Chrome :)
John Liebson wrote:Version 4.2 serious problem: Two computers, both running Fx 54.0.1 with Windows 10 Home. When I have updated ForecastFox from 4.1 to 4.2, instead of what I see on the task bar, what I see with 4.2 is a very long and meaningless bar; no text, no images, no use.
Please screenshots about your problem
GHM113 wrote:Yes, after toolbar API lands: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215064
This topic for 2 years already, I would advise not to have hopes...
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

As requested:

https://pasteboard.co/GBItQlM.jpg

===
Disabling extensions and moving from task bar to other locations make no difference.
dlauber

Post by dlauber »

John,
As has been noted in a post or two, all you have to do is set the number of forecast days in Forecast Fox to zero.
Unfortunately, that still leaves a label that is the way too long showing the forecast, temperature, city, state, zip code, country, and time visible -- when you've got FireFox configured to show icons and text in its toolbars.
I wish the kind developer would allow us to have just the forecast and temperature show - we certainly don't need the time shown and I'm pretty sure users know what their city, state, zip code and country are.

John Liebson wrote:Version 4.2 serious problem: Two computers, both running Fx 54.0.1 with Windows 10 Home. When I have updated ForecastFox from 4.1 to 4.2, instead of what I see on the task bar, what I see with 4.2 is a very long and meaningless bar; no text, no images, no use.

I hesitated to post this until now, as I had just updated to 4.2 on my wife's computer, and got the same result. I have not yet taken the time to test to see if there is a bad interaction with another extension that is on both computers, I have not taken and posted a screen shot, I have not see anyone else reporting the strange failure of version 4.2, I have only reverted to 4.1. This post is to inquire if anyone has any information, solutions, incantations, or other methods of properly using 4.2 before I take the time to start testing, etc.