[Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
vinipsmaker

Re: [Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Post by vinipsmaker »

I'm not actually looking for support. I wanted to post new tricks on what can be done with current FEBE version. The addon works fine here. Unfortunately the official forums are broken, so I'm not sure if there's any such place to post FEBE tricks.
avada

Post by avada »

vinipsmaker wrote:I'm not actually looking for support. I wanted to post new tricks on what can be done with current FEBE version. The addon works fine here. Unfortunately the official forums are broken, so I'm not sure if there's any such place to post FEBE tricks.
Are you using it on Pale Moon?
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Yes, my support forum is mostly broken.

My hosting company updated its php version and the old phpBB forum that I use is no longer supported. I'm still leaving it up on the server because while new posts can not be added, all the old post are still there and can be searched.

If you have some interesting FEBE tricks, please post them here. I would love to see them!
All my signatures are stolen from other people. Including this one.
Homepage
vinipsmaker

Post by vinipsmaker »

avada wrote:Are you using it on Pale Moon?
Yes
Shadoefax wrote:Yes, my support forum is mostly broken.

My hosting company updated its php version and the old phpBB forum that I use is no longer supported. I'm still leaving it up on the server because while new posts can not be added, all the old post are still there and can be searched.
Got it.
Shadoefax wrote:If you have some interesting FEBE tricks, please post them here. I would love to see them!
Okay then. I wanted to use a cookiejar with youtube-dl, but FEBE exports cookies using a different format, so I just wrote an AWK script to convert FEBE's format to curl/youtube-dl format. I thought it could be of interest to other FEBE users:

Code: Select all

# tabjson available at https://gitlab.com/vinipsmaker/gawk-tabjson
@load "tabjson"

BEGIN {
    JPAT[DOMAIN             = 1] = "/host"
    JPAT[INCLUDE_SUBDOMAINS = 2] = "/isDomain"
    JPAT[PATH               = 3] = "/path"
    JPAT[HTTPS_ONLY         = 4] = "/isSecure"
    JPAT[EXPIRES            = 5] = "/expires"
    JPAT[NAME               = 6] = "/name"
    JPAT[VALUE              = 7] = "/value"

OFS="\t"

print "# Netscape HTTP Cookie File"
    print "# http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe.html"
}

# If you want to skip some entries from the output, add rules below this
# comment. For instance, to skip entries from "google.com", add the following
# rule:
#
# J[DOMAIN] ~ /google\.com/ { next }

{
    print J[DOMAIN],
        J[INCLUDE_SUBDOMAINS] ? "TRUE" : "FALSE",
        J[PATH],
        J[HTTPS_ONLY] ? "TRUE" : "FALSE",
        J[EXPIRES],
        J[NAME],
        J[VALUE]
}
The plugin works and I managed to use the output with youtube-dl. However cookies.txt has a different rule to export the cookiejar, so I'm probably exporting part of the metadata incorrectly. For the record, the logic used by the cookies.txt extension is:

Code: Select all

function formatCookie(co) {
  return [
    [
      co.httpOnly ? '#HttpOnly_' : '',
      !co.hostOnly && co.domain && !co.domain.startsWith('.') ? '.' : '',
      co.domain
    ].join(''),
    co.hostOnly ? 'FALSE' : 'TRUE',
    co.path,
    co.secure ? 'TRUE' : 'FALSE',
    co.session || !co.expirationDate ? 0 : co.expirationDate,
    co.name,
    co.value + '\n'
  ].join('\t');
}
I didn't quite get what's being done to the first field, so I don't know what I should do. Anyway, the output works to download videos from crunchyroll using youtube-dl at least. Use it at your own risk if you feel it might be useful.
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Hi Chuck,

I know you've retired and all, but I am running into a bug in FEBE that I've reported periodically over the years; it has never gone away. The bug has to do with the size of the FEBE options dialog. Under certain conditions that I've never been able to identify, the dialog box runs off the screen. Years ago, you told me to try the little menu at the top left of the dialog (alt-spacebar, then Size), which creates an arrow that can be used to shrink the dialog box. But this appears to work only when the dialog runs off the bottom of the screen. Well, the top is running off the screen, so I cannot use the dialog at all. I don't know what to do.

Thanks!
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

You can still use (alt-spacebar, then Size). If you cannot see the cursor you can use the arrow keys to change the size. Just press 'return' when done to save.
Homepage
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

The size option is always grayed out. I don't know why. But I do know what's causing this problem. I have Windows display set to 125%. Your dialog simply does not adapt; it does not conform to accessibility standards.

In any event, when size worked, at least I could use the dialog. Now, I cannot. It worked when I first installed the extension, then became bigger. The first time it was bigger, it was off the top of the screen, still usable. But then it goes off the bottom of the screen, hiding the OK etc. buttons. At that point, the dialog becomes untenable.
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Oh, I did verify my assessment by resetting the Windows display setting back to 100%. When I do that, the dialog comes in full-height, fitting perfectly. But then I find everything else on the computer difficult to read. When I reset Windows even to 100%, the dialog goes off the screen.
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Oops, I mean "when I reset it to 110%". :)
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

When you are able to see the FEBE options dialog, can you adjust the size at that point (make it appear much smaller than is needed)? Firefox is supposed to remember the size the next time the popup appears.
Homepage
foxydavy

Post by foxydavy »

Chuck
Do you have plans to address the issue with FEBE not working because the deprecated Fuel code is being removed from Pale Moon?
See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 49#p219249

"THIS IS AN AUTHORITATIVE ANSWER TO ISSUES AT HAND. PLEASE REFERENCE IT IN OTHER THREADS!

We have identified that this and any other busted extension that cites Application as not being defined this release was because we removed the ancient first generation Mozilla attempt, called FUEL, to make extensions "easier" to code. While we have had a deprecation message emitted for any consumers for some time.. Obviously some did not get the message.

The reason it isn't defined in extension code nor the browser core is because FUEL was defined globally by its self in a way rarely seen that did NOT need initialization directly like most XPCOM JS Components. As a consequence of this, we missed a few aberrant uses in the browser core as well. As such we are going to to make an out-of-band release which will restore the FUEL component for the time being. However, extension developers should take notice and start work on updating their extensions to standard toolkit methods because the restoration will be short lived."

Regards and thanks for your good works
David
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Yes, I did get this message. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am no longer maintaining my extensions (I am retired due to medical issues).

Perhaps there are other developers out there that would be willing to fork any/all my extensions.

The FUEL api has been deprecated for many years now, but they have yet to removed it. Deprecated means no longer supported, but does not mean no longer working. If FUEL is removed, FEBE will stop working.
Homepage
foxydavy

Post by foxydavy »

Very sorry to hear about your health issues, perhaps another capable person will be able to contribute. As the quote said it is epected that Fuel will be removed soon as it was in a previous version of Pale Moon. With your permission I will relay your reply to the P M forums.
Regards,
David
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

foxydavy wrote:With your permission I will relay your reply to the P M forums.
Thank you. I really hope there are developers that would be willing to take over. It is not a small task, however. Just the main febe.js file is over 11,000 lines of code.
Homepage
Falkor69

Post by Falkor69 »

So this would be why I can't find it. I wanted to install it on this PC couldn't find it, and when I tried to open the xpi file that I do have it said it was corrupt. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I was born with Neurofibromatosis and have been dealing with chronic pain for the past 20 years. It would be nice if the extensions library, would tell you when a specific extension that you search for has been removed.