[Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Shadoefax

Re: [Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Post by Shadoefax »

I've sent you a pm with the new password.
All my signatures are stolen from other people. Including this one.
Homepage
kant1800

Post by kant1800 »

I can't access the original forum so I write here my problem.

When I choose from options extensions/theme backups, and I try to backup, the febe backup blocks and a window appears telling "impossible to find path for applicationUpdateServiceHelper2.0.xpi". Then it says to exclude the element from backup and to go on. I click ok and i get another similar window "Impossible to find the path for Multi-processstagedrollout2.0.xpi" and other windows like that
The rest of fabe backups listed on the right in options work, that is bookmarks history password etc..., only some theme extensions create this problem (the other extensions are backed up, as I find them in the destination directory).

what should I do? Add the items to the ignore list like suggested by the program? or there's something I must fix?
thanks
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Just add them to the ignore list. With every Fx update, there are usually some internal extensions that get installed. These extensions are part of Fx and cannot be backed up. You only have to put them in the ignore list once and the backup should run smoothly after that.
Homepage
kant1800

Post by kant1800 »

ok, thanks
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

FAO Chuck, a gentle nudge, registration requested by me (grahamperrin…) at http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/forum/
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

@grahamperrin

Could you please re-register? Your username looks familiar and I could swear that I activated your account a few days ago, but I don't see you anywhere in the member list.
Homepage
avada

Post by avada »

I now noticed that febe skips a bunch of addons and labels them unknown. Seems rather arbitrary. Why might this be?

Curiously some seem to be addons that were backed up successfully before.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Usually the add-ons that FEBE ignores are ones that are considered "proxy" extensions (these are not add-ons in the true sense, but merely links to other third-party programs and are not structured the way normal add-ons are). Add-ons that Mozilla installs automatically and are internal to Fx are also ignored during the backup.

Generally speaking, extensions that are installed by you from AMO are the ones that FEBE recognizes and will backup/restore.
Homepage
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

Above, is it surprising to see e.g. Zoom Page WE listed as unknown, with an undefined version?

https://robwu.nl/crxviewer/?crx=https%3 ... page-we%2F
avada

Post by avada »

Shadoefax wrote:Usually the add-ons that FEBE ignores are ones that are considered "proxy" extensions (these are not add-ons in the true sense, but merely links to other third-party programs and are not structured the way normal add-ons are). Add-ons that Mozilla installs automatically and are internal to Fx are also ignored during the backup.

Generally speaking, extensions that are installed by you from AMO are the ones that FEBE recognizes and will backup/restore.
Sadly none of them are the types you mentioned. They are all valid addons. Mostly webextension addons, but there are jetpack and classic non-restartless XUL addons as well.

It's pretty frustrating because FEBE is the only way that I know to back up addons into their own packages. Curiously the same addons were successfully backed up before. Such as the very same version of Backtrack Tab History was backed up in last September.

By the way I'm on Waterfox. 56.x (Just noticed that the forum doesn't display the useragent for posts anymore.)
I guess trying the the newer versions that are noted to be for Pale Moon only is not recommended?
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Something seems to have changed in Waterfox. I'm running WF v56.0.4.1 (64-bit Windows 10) and while FEBE does perform the backup, I cannot change any of the FEBE options (meaning I can change items but they are not saved). All was working last time I tested FEBE in Waterfox back in July, 2016, but not now.

I decided to try installing the Zoom Page extension in Fx. It installed and backed up just fine. I tried to do the same in WF, but could not install it from AMO:

but I was able to install it from the Fx FEBE backup. It also backed up just fine on WF:

The FEBE v10.2 for Pale Moon works only with Pale Moon and will not even install on WF (or Fx).

What versions of WF and FEBE are you currently using?
Homepage
avada

Post by avada »

FEBE 8.9.3.1 and Waterfox 56.2.3.
Didn't bother with the last few WF updates. I might actively avoid it if stuff breaks like you described.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

I'm only officially supporting FEBE on Pale Moon. FEBE for WF is only offered 'as is'. Some users report success, while others (like yourself, and now me) have found it doesn't work as expected.

If I had to guess, I would assume that WF is dropping support for some of the Mozilla APIs that FEBE requires. Pale Moon still supports all the APIs so I will continue to develop FEBE for Pale Moon as long as I can.

Though not an ideal solution, you can still backup the WF profile/extensions folder and restore individual extensions from that. It's a little more work, but it's better than nothing.
Homepage
avada

Post by avada »

Shadoefax wrote:I'm only officially supporting FEBE on Pale Moon. FEBE for WF is only offered 'as is'. Some users report success, while others (like yourself, and now me) have found it doesn't work as expected.

If I had to guess, I would assume that WF is dropping support for some of the Mozilla APIs that FEBE requires. Pale Moon still supports all the APIs so I will continue to develop FEBE for Pale Moon as long as I can.

Though not an ideal solution, you can still backup the WF profile/extensions folder and restore individual extensions from that. It's a little more work, but it's better than nothing.
I just tried a copy of the same profile with official FF55, the results are identical. So it's not because of Waterfox.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

OK, that's good. That means it is probably an extension conflict.

Can you create a fresh, new profile for WF (or Fx v55 or 56) with only FEBE installed and test it? If that works, you can copy your current profile into the new profile and use my FECT extension to locate the extension that is causing the conflict. (Use FEBE as the target extension.)
Homepage