[Ext] Mouse Gestures Suite

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lemon Juice

Re: [Ext] Mouse Gestures Suite

Post by Lemon Juice »

A few small updates recently, mostly bug fixes and minor improvements:

Version 2.1.1:
  • fix: movement sensitivity min. value option should be 3 (not 2)

Version 2.1.2:
  • fix [Firefox]: right click on tabs was broken after moving tab by drag&drop

Version 2.1.3:
  • make auto scroll slightly smoother
  • fix: auto scroll with middle button pressed down didn't finish if middle button was released sooner than 1 second (see issue 1)
  • set default auto scroll rate to "Faster"
  • fix [SeaMonkey]: sometimes action to detach tab to new window didn't work

Version 2.1.4:
  • fix uneven auto scroll speed
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
greenenemy

Post by greenenemy »

New auto scroll behaviour is chrome like, where it used to be more opera(presto) like and i prefer the latter one. For now i have downgraded to 2.1.2. Just letting you know about this user preference.

love the progress so far! with this one exception :)

There is one thing that I'm thinking about since ability to define custom functions for gestures was implemented.
Would it be possible to write a script that would send keyboard key combination to Windows with a gesture?
With that i would be able to control some external programs that require keyboard shortcuts to activate their functions.
For example Music player can be muted with ctrl+m and I want to mute it with mouse gesture Down.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

greenenemy wrote:New auto scroll behaviour is chrome like, where it used to be more opera(presto) like and i prefer the latter one. For now i have downgraded to 2.1.2. Just letting you know about this user preference.

The problem is that the behaviour was neither chrome like nor opera like, acting differently depending on the duration of the button press. Maybe the previous developer thought it would be good to bake both of them into auto scroll like this? I think it may have been confusing to users to the point that they did not understand what was going on - like the one who reported the issue - he thought it was something to do with page length. This was certainly confusing to me! I may add a preference for that some time in the future.

greenenemy wrote:Would it be possible to write a script that would send keyboard key combination to Windows with a gesture?
With that i would be able to control some external programs that require keyboard shortcuts to activate their functions.
For example Music player can be muted with ctrl+m and I want to mute it with mouse gesture Down.

You would also need to bring the musing player into focus first before sending ctrl+m, otherwise the keystroke would be sent to your browser. Anyway, this would require launching an external program that will do what you want. This is a script for launching programs:

Code: Select all

var file = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"]
          .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);

file.initWithPath("c:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe");

var params = ["https://www.google.com"];

var process = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/process/util;1"]
              .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIProcess);
process.init(file);
process.run(false, params, params.length);

params is a comma-separated list of command line arguments to pass. I don't know what you should launch from the script but you may look at NirCmd - it looks like it can do what you want, it can also mute system sound. Or, maybe your music player has command line arguments for muting?
greenenemy

Post by greenenemy »

Oh, i see now how previously autoscroll was broken for people who hold down the scroll button whole scrolling time.

I don't know how it is being used by most users , but i will tell you how it should work for me.

Ok, I'm lazy. Mouse Gestures Suite allows me to conserve energy. Sometimes bad habits from the past interfere with that but it requires huge effort to change the them and ... energy conservation...so.

My primary page scrolling method is rotating mouse wheel, it is too slow and tiresome on longer pages though, also it doesn't allow horizontal scrolling. I want to be able to activate autoscroll with MMB click(in 2.1.4 it is broken when i click while moving mouse) and to deactivate it click it again or rotate the wheel.
I do not want to press MMB and hold it because again it takes more effort than regular scrolling on short distances and more than click on long. There is one instance where i would use it - short horizontal scrolling, so this part of new behaviour is good.
Sometimes I let go of the mouse and let it scroll slowly while I'm consuming the page content(pictures , text) , then occasionally I have to nudge the mouse to change speed/direction. <---One of the reasons i use firefox to read EPUB books.

Disadvantages of autoscroll are: Clicking is harder than rotating the wheel in the short run. It has lower priority than side bar scroller, it is especially apparent when cpu is busy(probably unfixable as this is extension). It lacks granularity, I'm unable to let it scroll at 1px/s(dont even try to fix this now, it's is very minor issue).
I expected yes/no answer, thank you for all this extra effort.
If i understand correctly what you are saying, It is not possible to launch task manager with mouse gesture emulating Ctrl+Shift+Esc without external programs. Ok, i will dig into NirCmd to see what can I achieve with it.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

greenenemy wrote:My primary page scrolling method is rotating mouse wheel, it is too slow and tiresome on longer pages though, also it doesn't allow horizontal scrolling. I want to be able to activate autoscroll with MMB click(in 2.1.4 it is broken when i click while moving mouse) and to deactivate it click it again or rotate the wheel.
I do not want to press MMB and hold it because again it takes more effort than regular scrolling on short distances and more than click on long. There is one instance where i would use it - short horizontal scrolling, so this part of new behaviour is good.

Good that you've explained it - I was wondering what was the main thing for you with the opera-style auto scroll and it seems to be the ability to start it while moving the mouse and having it activated still after releasing the button. The problem with the new approach is that auto scroll gets turned off after releasing the button if it was started while moving the mouse.

Would a pref for continuation of auto scroll in such cases do what you want? I imagine something like "Always keep scrolling after releasing middle mouse button", which would essentially provide opera-like behaviour. As you can see some people want the scrolling to stop then so it's not possible to please everyone 8-)

greenenemy wrote:It lacks granularity, I'm unable to let it scroll at 1px/s(dont even try to fix this now, it's is very minor issue).

Actually, I was thinking some time ago about adding a pref to change the scrolling speed (probably in % relative to the default one) since I also sometimes would like a slower auto scroll for reading stuff. I don't know when but it is on my list of plans.

greenenemy wrote:If i understand correctly what you are saying, It is not possible to launch task manager with mouse gesture emulating Ctrl+Shift+Esc without external programs.

You can launch c:\\windows\\system32\\taskmgr.exe with the script I showed you so you don't need external programs for that. But for other things NirCmd is a very nice little program, it can make life easier for a lot of tasks requiring command line!
greenenemy

Post by greenenemy »

Lemon Juice wrote:...
Would a pref for continuation of auto scroll in such cases do what you want?...

Probably yes, sir :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

New version 2.2.0 released:

• new option for Mouse Gestures auto scroll: "keep scrolling after releasing middle button" (enables old Opera-style auto scroll, whereby it's possible to auto-scroll with middle button pressed down and keep scrolling after the button is released)
  • new option for adjusting auto scroll speed (now it's possible to set very slow scrolling speed for reading)
  • improve stability of auto scroll speed
  • removed old and unused code for auto scroll
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

New version 2.3.0 released with a few small improvements and fixes:

• finally resolved auto scroll speed stability + e10s Firefox no longer displays alerts about Mouse Gestures Suite running slow (moved auto scroll code to frame script)
  • increased auto scroll speed on larger distances from initial click position
  • improve smoothness of auto scroll with speed setting of 2x or higher
  • actions "Duplicate Tab" and "Duplicate Window" now duplicate also tab history and scroll position
  • action "Duplicate Tab": properly handle gestures started on tabs
  • changed default gesture sensitivity from 14 to 10 px
  • fix: actions "Save Page As" and "Duplicate Window" didn't work in Page Source window
Med1aN1ck

Post by Med1aN1ck »

Thanks for this add-on. I'm using the rocker gestures for navigating to next/previous tabs as well as other gestures quite extensively.

The problem for me is the Duplicate tab command which is called forth by a 'DU' mouse gesture. The resulting duplicated tab doesn't have the history of the visited pages whereas normally the tab is cloned with the tab's history. Peculiarly, the All-in-one-gestures clones tabs with history, but it has an issue with zooming - the zoom doesn't include the flash video.

Can this be somehow fixed?
Thanks.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Please read the post above yours - the problem of history in duplicated tabs has been fixed. The newest version is still not officially on AMO but it can be downloaded manually from the version history.
Med1aN1ck

Post by Med1aN1ck »

Did not expect such a quick reply - thank you very much for it!

Hey, let me congratulate you on the great add-on you're developing, it is both very rich in functions which are most practical AND keeps getting better!

Btw, does your nickname have anything to do with Keith Lemon? As I'm a big fan :-o
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Med1aN1ck wrote:Btw, does your nickname have anything to do with Keith Lemon? As I'm a big fan :-o

Not at all! But I used to drink lots of lemon juice :mrgreen:
Zakharko

Post by Zakharko »

Hi, Lemon Juice!
Thanks for this great addon and for keeping developing it!
I just wanted to ask about those feature status I asked in my review.
Do you plan to implement it or maybe you already implemented and I missed it?
ramalina

Post by ramalina »

Hello Lemon Juice,
first of all I want to thank you for this great plugin I just discover.
Far better than any other.

I just wanna ask if it is possible to disable the little popup in the left bottom of the page indicating the mouse gesture, or this is a feature you can consider to implement in the next versions.
Since I use gestures very often, it's a little bit distracting to me.

Thank you.
GadgetHW

Post by GadgetHW »

Please, is there a preference to hide (not display) the current gesture, which is displayed in the status bar of FF?
Thanks.

EDIT: If anyone needs it, a workaround is to edit file gestimp.js and add a line
(149) var msg = null;
below line aioStatusMessage: function(msg, timeToClear, append) {

But, it would be better to have such possibility directly in GUI preferences of this addon.