[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MarkRH

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by MarkRH »

All of those are legacy extensions, but it does work with other legacy extensions such as CTR, Tab Mix Plus, etc. Given that Firefox 57 is going to blow all of these up anyway, it may be a fruitless thing to deal with. Anyway, here's more that causes it:

Add Bookmark Here ² 55.0.20170705
Extension List Dumper 2 1.0.2
Add to Search Bar 2.9
Html Validator 0.9.7.4
CoLT 2.6.7
Context Search 0.6.4
Custom Buttons 0.0.5.8.9
Element Properties 9.1-signed
Extension List Dumper 2 1.0.2
JSONView 1.2.4
Places’ Tooltips 3.0.20110409.1-signed.1-signed
Screengrab (fix version) 0.99.11
Thumbnail Zoom Plus 4.2
User Agent Switcher 0.7.3.1-signed.1-signed

I may go back to version 1.13.8 and only update uBlock after Firefox 57 roles out and one has no choice.

Oh yeah, CTRL-F5 actually doesn't work the 1st time. I think I was doing after a failed F5 or Refresh. If I hit F5 twice in a row, the page will load. Weird.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

The behaviour I mentioned on eBay isn't present on a clean profile with uBO 1.14.0 either. Of Mark's list of possible culprits I only have here, on W10:

Add Bookmark Here ² 55.0.20170705
Add to Search Bar 2.9

However, neither of those is installed on the W7 system I mentioned. I don't have access to that today, but from memory it only has:

Copy as Plain Text 1.0.9.1
LastPass 3.3.4
Reminderfox 2.1.5.6
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar 1.4.14

All legacy and all also installed on this W10 system. LastPass is disabled here, as I'm trialling Bitwarden as a replacement.
jr!

Post by jr! »

I upgraded to the latest version of UBlock origin today and now the icon is gone from my toolbar at the top of my screen and no option anywhere to return it.
Does anybody else have this issue?
had to revert back to 1.13.8 for it to work again
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

jr! wrote:I upgraded to the latest version of UBlock origin today and now the icon is gone from my toolbar at the top of my screen and no option anywhere to return it.
did you try an " resset to default settings " or look in Customize for the icon ?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if you have read all the ublock answer for now you would know that resetting is very bad idea.
1.13.8 for non-Webextensions-Firefox and 1.14.4 when no issues were encountered - mismatch with other extensions very possible.
jr!

Post by jr! »

ICQ5 wrote:
jr! wrote:I upgraded to the latest version of UBlock origin today and now the icon is gone from my toolbar at the top of my screen and no option anywhere to return it.
did you try an " resset to default settings " or look in Customize for the icon ?
yes, there's no icon to be found anywhere.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

jr! wrote:yes, there's no icon to be found anywhere.
With uBO/webext, the browser handles all the toolbar icon stuff, uBO has no say. Are you using some kind of legacy toolbar extension or theme?
jr!

Post by jr! »

Yes, Classic theme restorer.
Disabling that fixed it, thanks for the tip, can't believe I didn't think of that.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Just and FYI, that's why I didn't open an issue for it - as I am not sure it happens to everyone or not; or that anyone cares. I keep an isolated profile where it won't update automatically and I upload my settings and things after significant or major changes regularly to try and maintain a reasonably current backup of things in case profiles get messed up, like with the hybrid rollout where things got messed up and rolling back to .8 didn't fix the problem.

When I updated each daily driver profile to the straight webext version .14, it didn't give any errors and seemed to update everything fine - which is excellent. However, I did notice upon checking that the information was quite dated, by as much as a month, so not sure which source it pulled from instead of the most recent; and the 3p lists were showing a failed to update icon next to them. But I overrode it manually with an export from the isolated profile that was still running legacy .8 to correct it, although missing some information, it is far less than it would have been leaving it as is. For the 3p list, a simple purge and re-download was sufficient to resolve it, no biggie.

So PSA, check your upgraded rules/filters/etc to make sure it is the most current version of your settings and if you still have a functional .8, EXPORT immediately before updating and save it - as has already been advised, since you might need to use it to update the update to the most current set of your data - as also advised IIRC. Hope it helps someone.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

On a separate note, since it might end up valid to be put in issue tracker, I have observed a few odd behaviors that are not consistent with previous versions.
  • In the past when you had say file-scheme * 3p block any images would simply not show up and not take any space either. But now they don't load (although sometimes they still do) but also leave behind the "broken image" placeholders, they don't disappear as they did before. Now I am not sure if that is a bug or if it is some behavior change that leaves these artifacts.
  • (sometimes they load) brings me to my next observation. Under Advanced, where you set suspendTabsUntilReady true does not persist between sessions. What I mean is that, when you set it to true, save it, it will be there; but as soon as you close and or restart the browser, it defaults back to false; so, for some reason it is no longer persisting, not sure why. Obviously because of this, despite being experimental and temperamental and not always reliable as indicated in the docs, it always behaved reasonably well for me and at the very least the setting persisted, behavior reliability not withstanding nor expected, but now it won't even persist.
  • The last thing so far, is that it always shows on the options page : Storage used: ? bytes which is not a big deal really. Either the method of getting the size or the source wasn't updated, or completely updated, or something else is causing it to always show a question mark and no value.
  • Another things I have observed, which I will add here, is that if you open any page in the sidebar, uBlock does not act on it like it did in the past. So the same page opened in a full tab, processed just fine, open it in the sidebar, nothing happens to it and will load as if uBlock is not installed.
That's it, just thought I put them out there, as I have not yet seen anything in the changelogs I have checked so far, or any issues that I can recall, so figured might deserve attention in case they are something. At the very least I will be able to know what is causing it and understand the reasons.
Last edited by GµårÐïåñ on September 5th, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

I am also seeing the same issue as MarkRH and Vitesse on Ebay with 1.14.0+ om Ff, Win10 x64. For the moment I've rolled back to 1.13.10 and ebay.co.uk is working fine. I have none of the extensions listed by MarkRH, but I have a bunch of others.

My enabled extensions are:

Code: Select all

BetterPrivacy
BitTorrent WebUI+
Bookmarks Checker - check for bad links
deskCut
FavIconReloader
FireFTP
Google search link fix
IE View Lite
nURL Suffix
Paste Email (original)
PlacesCleaner
QuickDrag
Replacetabs Extension
Save File to
Tab Mix Plus
The problem goes away if I disable uBO through the Addons manager. I won't get time to troubleshoot extension clashes until the weekend.

Is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot?

[edit]
I've had to roll back one version further to 1.13.8
[/edit]
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

NickJH wrote:Is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot?
To be clear, there is nothing I can do. uBO is oblivious to anything else than it's own stuff and the webext API. Whether there are other extensions installed is completely out of its knowledge. This is a web/ext/legacy incompatibility somewhere in Firefox, best is that the issue is brought to Firefox devs. Now, in a few weeks all these legacy extensions will no longer be loaded in Firefox, so I doubt Firefox devs will care spending time on such issue.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Yep, very little point in chasing a chimera. On this W10 system I only have two of the extensions NickJH mentions - BetterPrivacy and TMP - but neither of them is installed on the W7 one where I've seen the same thing; I rolled that back to 1.13.8 yesterday and no further problems on eBay there either (as it's a computer I use for eBay selling for a charity that was a major drawback!) It works, so I'm happy to stick with 1.13.8 for now.

If it's still a problem when Fx56 or 57 rolls in that's a whole different can of worms.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I have the same issue with Firefox 56 beta with a Twitter refresh requiring two F5 refreshes to reload the page. But, I have the same slew of legacy extensions installed.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@gorhill: Quick question, is uBO/legacy still supported? That is, do you still fix bugs that are reproduced only in uBO/legacy?