[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DanRaisch

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by DanRaisch »

Slickone wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:Er yeah, how about asking at the correct forum?
https://forum.palemoon.org/index.php?si ... cc6f141835
The uBO extension thread happens to be in the Firefox forum.
Yes, but you are asking about using the extension with PaleMoon, so the correct forum would be on the PM side.
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Slickone wrote:I'm using a fresh install of Pale Moon Portable 26.5.0, and uBlock Origin 1.15.11b6, with no other add-ons, but it's not blocking anything, and no filters will update. Any ideas on things for me to try? It worked fine before with the same version of PMP, but an older version of uBO (can't remember which). I am using the same uBO on Pale Moon (non portable) 27 without any issues.
Go back to the 1.13.8 version of UBO. The webext version doesn't work with Firefox ESR, which I believe Palemoon is based on.
avada

Post by avada »

DanRaisch wrote:Yes, but you are asking about using the extension with PaleMoon, so the correct forum would be on the PM side.
This is as close as it gets to an official UBO forum and XUL versions officially support Pale Moon (it's added as a target application in install.rdf).
Slickone

Post by Slickone »

JDPower wrote:
Slickone wrote:I'm using a fresh install of Pale Moon Portable 26.5.0, and uBlock Origin 1.15.11b6, with no other add-ons, but it's not blocking anything, and no filters will update. Any ideas on things for me to try? It worked fine before with the same version of PMP, but an older version of uBO (can't remember which). I am using the same uBO on Pale Moon (non portable) 27 without any issues.
Go back to the 1.13.8 version of UBO. The webext version doesn't work with Firefox ESR, which I believe Palemoon is based on.
As I mentioned, I'm using the current 1.15.11b9 on PM 27 and it works fine. He's still offering XUL (uBlock0.firefox.xpi) and webext versions. In fact, he was for awhile (not sure if still is) offering a hybrid version, so you could install the webext version on legacy non-webext FF for "seamless" upgrade to FF57+.

But I did install 1.13.8 and it's working. Doesn't make sense.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Hello,

I have a few pretty basic questions about using uBlock; please excuse my repeating them because they weren't answered here two years ago (22 Mar 2016). Nothing has changed for me because I only use uBlock on my phone (being long used to NoScript on the desktop) and I don't normally browse widely on the phone...

I recently installed Firefox 44 on an Android phone and while trying to figure out how to get some of the security and control I'm used to on the desktop, discovered uBlock Origin. Really great work! There is a bit of a learning curve with some trial and error, as the online wiki documentation seems a bit sparse (at least for a semi-geek like me). So I do still have a few questions if anyone can help:

(1) Why do successive taps on the blocking chart boxes give first a grey box and then a partially colored one? It seems a grey box means "noop" but I'm not sure what's going on with the colors, why another tap doesn't go back to blank.

(2) How are rules best edited on a small phone screen, where once the keyboard pops up you can barely see what you're doing? Can the temporary-rule window at least expand to full screen width?

(3) How do you identify individual inline scripts to exclude, rather than simply blocking all -- does this require examining source code, presumably on the desktop?
Peja Stija

Post by Peja Stija »

No single action on the uBO popup menu is working in today's Firefox nightly.

uBO : 1.15.11b15
Firefox Nightly : 61.0a1 (2018-03-14) (32-bit)
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

semigeek wrote:(1) Why do successive taps on the blocking chart boxes give first a grey box and then a partially colored one? It seems a grey box means "noop" but I'm not sure what's going on with the colors, why another tap doesn't go back to blank.

(2) How are rules best edited on a small phone screen, where once the keyboard pops up you can barely see what you're doing? Can the temporary-rule window at least expand to full screen width?

(3) How do you identify individual inline scripts to exclude, rather than simply blocking all -- does this require examining source code, presumably on the desktop?
How hard would it really be to answer these questions?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The extenson's author hasn't posted on these forums since October of last year so they may not have seen your questions. Try the support pages for the extensions here -- https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/support ... rigin/6746
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

I wouldn't have thought gorhill to be the only one capable of answering such questions, but thanks for the link Dan, I'll give it a try.
v1adimir

Post by v1adimir »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Likely if the device is rooted [..]
Just noticed this, you were referring to me?.. Definitely, never going to "root" an Android device (why, there's no need to), especially with Project Treble now being around with Android 8.x and above! :)

Anyway @gorhill had helped me, tyvm!!

EDIT:
semigeek wrote:How hard would it really be to answer these questions?
Ugh., not that hard (I would think ;); but, have you checked for your answers on its GitHub issues pages?.. Besides what @DanRaisch has posted, btw.

Code: Select all

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

latest "legacy" version of uBO for FF 52.x ESR is v1.16.4-legacy

newer versions of uBO after that seem to be webextension based
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Even though I have 'I am an advanced user' unchecked I still get the full menu. Is there anything I can do to get back the shorter menu?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

streetwolf wrote:Even though I have 'I am an advanced user' unchecked I still get the full menu. Is there anything I can do to get back the shorter menu?
your prolly better off going over to Gorhills FAQ site, there might be an answer there, he i dont think comes here no longer
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

streetwolf wrote:Even though I have 'I am an advanced user' unchecked I still get the full menu. Is there anything I can do to get back the shorter menu?
Quick guide: popup user interface / the-overview-panel:
To hide that panel, just click again on either the "requests blocked" or "domains connected" label.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

gorhill wrote:
Quick guide: popup user interface / the-overview-panel:
To hide that panel, just click again on either the "requests blocked" or "domains connected" label.
Works like you stated. Thanks much.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro