[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
toolong

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by toolong »

Be nice people.

Not everyone is just as "smart" are your are. Or, perhaps, think that you are.

Everyone was a Newbie once. :-)
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

The Tinsmith wrote:Be nice people.

Not everyone is just as "smart" are your are. Or, perhaps, think that you are.

Everyone was a Newbie once. :-)
Correct, but then they should accept responses and not throw tantrums. I was nice, I explained and that was it. Then comes back the attitude, if you are a noob, then accept that and be open to help.

And I like how you took a cheap dig under the guise of a mediator, don't think that went unnoticed. Just saying, I prefer bluntness and honesty over PC pretense - the old adage, say what you mean, mean what you say and be precise with your words.

One could argue you are flaming what was already done. What I say may seem rude in its bluntness, but it is never malicious. I was an officer for 15 years, I don't mince words.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
toolong

Post by toolong »

nd I like how you took a cheap dig under the guise of a mediator, don't think that went unnoticed. Just saying, I prefer bluntness and honesty over PC pretense - the old adage, say what you mean, mean what you say and be precise with your words.

i did not point this directly at you sir. It was meant as a general "to all of us" - which includes me too. I have often found that many arguments are caused by people from different places that speak different languages trying to communicate in a third language.

If I hurt your feelings I most certainly did not mean to do so.

Have a wonderful day.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

telzey wrote:I assume that this is also the answer to my second question? There is no way to commit a single temp rule when you have more than one?
See https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issue ... -287881096:
This needs redesign. Looking at it again, I should eliminate the redundancy of showing twice the same rules. One line per rule with a padlock + remove icons for each rule should be sufficient. The padlock tells whether the rule is in the permanent ruleset, the remove icon allows to remove the rule from the temporary ruleset.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

The Tinsmith wrote:i did not point this directly at you sir. It was meant as a general "to all of us" - which includes me too. I have often found that many arguments are caused by people from different places that speak different languages trying to communicate in a third language.
Understood, thank you for explaining that. My apologies for interpreting the timing to be more. Good thing I speak 13 language fluently with English right on the top :mrgreen:
If I hurt your feelings I most certainly did not mean to do so.
I am not a snowflake, I have a thick skin. Feelings have no place in civilized discussion, so I have no reason to be hurt - that's where PC run amok. To quote my favorite line from one of my favorite actors, "I am a professional, I don't get upset". :-"
Have a wonderful day.
You as well, take care. :)
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

gorhill wrote:See https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issue ... -287881096:
This needs redesign. Looking at it again, I should eliminate the redundancy of showing twice the same rules. One line per rule with a padlock + remove icons for each rule should be sufficient. The padlock tells whether the rule is in the permanent ruleset, the remove icon allows to remove the rule from the temporary ruleset.
Quick follow-up my friend. :?: Will these changes converge through all versions? I can see they apply to the Fx on Android right now, will that translate well across all platforms (such as say Fx on Win or Linux)?

Given they are mostly HTML/CSS/JS driven (the GUI), I assume so but wanted to get your thoughts on it. I read through it, rather long so I might have blurred some content as it began to blend (apologies if I missed something), but was there a timeline discussed for the changes? or set? :-k

I like the NoScript-ish granular control over what's what, but even that had cases where it was less than graceful (usually the sites with high level of cross domain resources), hopefully the new interface will resolve any lingering "opaque"ness since you won't be relying on the "menu" driven system that NS used/uses and adding more control in the existing system. =D>
delicacy1

Post by delicacy1 »

Hi Gorhill & GµårÐïåñ,

I have this filter:

||www.pcworld.com/www/js/ads/c,domain=www ... ,important

Could you please change it so this string is mainly used:
|| jquery.lazyload-ad.js$script important

& it affects any website & not just pcworld.com ?

thanks
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

delicacy1 wrote:I have this filter:

||www.pcworld.com/www/js/ads/c,domain=www ... ,important

Could you please change it so this string is mainly used:

& it affects any website & not just pcworld.com ?
Err, you already did. All you need is a comma instead of bunch of spaces -

Code: Select all

jquery.lazyload-ad.js$script,important
delicacy1

Post by delicacy1 »

thanks barbaz & i avoid the: ||
?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

delicacy1 wrote:thanks barbaz
You're welcome.
delicacy1 wrote:i avoid the: ||
?
Correct. See https://adblockplus.org/en/filter-cheatsheet#blocking2
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

delicacy1 wrote:Could you please change it so this string is mainly used:
As my friend and fellow mod barbaz already pointed out, you are most of the way there, the comma is missing so that would break it, has given you that. Additionally, the removing of the double pipe || simply globalizes it and I prefer that method in many cases (as also supported by the documentation), again as already given. Thank you barbaz for responding to this, my schedule was busier than usual, didn't get to check sooner. Good luck.

PS. Although I do it myself quite often, be careful making things super universal that applies to everyone, as in certain places it can break functionality depending on their implementation and you might not have an easy time figuring out what is causing it, just a heads up on that - as a reminder, nothing more.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ gorhill - Update and migration from uBlock Orgin 1.13.8 to uBlock Orgin 1.13.10 on Mozilla Firefox Mobile 55.0.2 on Android 6.0.1 is very badly broken.
In my case, it resulted in:
- very long times, when I was opening uBlock Orgin Dashboard, over 10-20s,
- sometimes after browser restart, there was no "uBlock Orgin" item in "Hamburger" menu,
- sometimes when I reverted uBlock Orgin to default settings, on browser restart I get my old settings back,
- sometimes uBlock Orgin doesn't work properly, as there were ads shown on website pages.
Looking on bug reports and reviews, I'm not only with this problem.

Reinstalling again uBlock Orgin 1.13.10 on same version didn't help,
also uninstalling and reinstalling again uBlock Orgin 1.13.10 didn't help too,
same thing when I update to uBlock Orgin 1.13.11rc0,
downgrading is not an option on Mozilla Firefox Mobile, as I can't disable autoupdate per one extension, only as whole.
Only complete wipe of Mozilla Firefox Mobile application data cache worked.

I can recommencement just dropping migration of settings, for greater good, as it just probably too much time consuming, with not such safe results.
Everyone should be able to copy and paste 2 text areas in "My filters" and "My rules" by themselves, maybe just some information in new tab will be good, how to do that or extract it.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i copied my current profile to v57, cleared all extensions (data hold) and reinstalled uBlock 1.13.11rc - all fine. (1.13.10 is not installable in firefox 57).

either its a matter of the hybrid or converting data.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:I can recommencement just dropping migration of settings, for greater good, as it just probably too much time consuming, with not such safe results.
I agree, I had started considering the idea yesterday night. So I just pushed 1.14.0 which is pure webext to AMO (pending review of course). The release notes contains a link about how one can migrate their settings from legacy if not done yet, it's essentially one of the options in the release notes of 1.13.10L install 1.13.10 (hopefully successfully), or just export using uBO's backup button from 1.13.8 and import in 1.14.0 using uBO's "restore from back" feature.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Will transition to indexedDB cause performance regressions? In other words, is uBO using indexedDB slower than uBO using browser.storage.local?
Sorry for my poor English.