[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Soothsayer

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by Soothsayer »

Since the update to the web extension version, the rule "no-popups: * true" now seems to block most user initiated popups (middle click). The new tabs opens briefly as a background tab and then is immediately closed, which is something that did not happen on the old extension.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is essentially the same problem as with the Chrome version, in that web extensions cannot differentiate between user initiated popups and web page initiated ones? Is this fixable, or do I need to simply rely on the the in built browser popup blocker going forward?

Incidentally, I am not sure if this helps, but I also have installed the "Fetch Text URL" extension, which gives an additional 'open in new tab' menu item and if I open a link with that menu item, the link opens in a new foreground tab and remains open.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

To block all popups:
about:config
dom.popup_allowed_events -> delete all, leave empty

You'll be able to allow popups on a per-site basis.
Sorry for my poor English.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

GHM113 wrote:To block all popups:
about:config
dom.popup_allowed_events -> delete all, leave empty

You'll be able to allow popups on a per-site basis.
Actually there is an easier way, I have done it myself for a while now, just uncheck "Block Pop-Ups" on the options page.

Your way leaves the block in place and just makes not trigger, that's unnecessary. Just uncheck it and leave the events alone and it will achieve it with less overhead and unnecessary code check and triggering internally, because your way it will still check the event list, an unnecessary step.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Interesting, I observed that behavior too but didn't think to consider uBlock as I have Greasemonkey installed which notoriously has memory leaks that cause issue. Can you do me a favor and let me know if you are seeing this and also have Greasemonkey installed. I may have laid blame at the feet of the wrong thing if not, but if so, maybe we can try to see if that has something to do with it or possibly in conjunction (meaning they are causing some kind of a feedback loop between them).
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ GµårÐïåñ - In my case, on my profile, when I disable uBlock Orgin, I don't have memory leaks.
It's also reproducible with clean new fresh profile without any addons (extensions, plugins, themes, etc.), except uBlock Orgin.
In few days, I will try to diagnose it deeper, what's the cause, as looks like, it's not reproducible on stable Firefox (source: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14758532#p14758532)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ GµårÐïåñ - In my case, on my profile, when I disable uBlock Orgin, I don't have memory leaks.
It's also reproducible with clean new fresh profile without any addons (extensions, plugins, themes, etc.), except uBlock Orgin.
In few days, I will try to diagnose it deeper, what's the cause, as looks like, it's not reproducible on stable Firefox (source: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14758532#p14758532)
I would appreciate that, but take your time. In the meantime I have read through Ray's findings and given that I am on stable, my suspicion is that I was correct in my initial assessment.
telzey

Post by telzey »

I accidentally committed some temporary rules in the My Rules tab. What do I have to do to remove them?

In a similar vein, I have *one* rule that I would like to commit; how to I do that without committing any other temporary rules that I may have?

Thanks!
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

telzey wrote:I accidentally committed some temporary rules in the My Rules tab. What do I have to do to remove them?
Seriously? Click EDIT, REMOVE the line(s), SAVE, COMMIT. Done. Same for any changes to the rules.
telzey

Post by telzey »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:
telzey wrote:I accidentally committed some temporary rules in the My Rules tab. What do I have to do to remove them?
Seriously? Click EDIT, REMOVE the line(s), SAVE, COMMIT. Done. Same for any changes to the rules.
Yeah, seriously. The UI is opaque at best. I wanted to delete some permanent rules and *retain* some temp rules. Apparently, the only way to do this is to delete all of the unwanted permanent ones, commit, and then re-enter the wanted temp ones. It's clumsy.

I assume that this is also the answer to my second question? There is no way to commit a single temp rule when you have more than one?
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

telzey wrote:Yeah, seriously. The UI is opaque at best.
The GUI lets you make changes by visiting those sites and doing it visually. It also gives you the option to go and modify it yourself under the settings tab. What else did you want it to do?
I wanted to delete some permanent rules and *retain* some temp rules. Apparently, the only way to do this is to delete all of the unwanted permanent ones, commit, and then re-enter the wanted temp ones. It's clumsy.
Again, you have the GUI, you have the manual edit, there is not much else you can expect. Suggest a solution if you think there is a better way but don't just dump on it because you may not want to take the time.
I assume that this is also the answer to my second question? There is no way to commit a single temp rule when you have more than one?
Once again, you can go to the site where you want the temporary rule to go away and clear it there, it will be removed, then you have just what you want to commit. Or go to the backend and modify it yourself and commit, simple really, hence the confusion of what you consider opaque. Opaque would be forcing you in the GUI and not giving you any way to modify it.
telzey

Post by telzey »

I asked two simple questions, and I got a snarky answer. I don't see any upside to making any suggestions here.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

telzey wrote:I asked two simple questions, and I got a snarky answer. I don't see any upside to making any suggestions here.
You know there is a development page for it, go suggest there. But your lack of understanding within what you are using shows that you clearly don't understand what you want because you can't express it. You asked, you were given an answer. You got snarky with your clearly misguided comeback and now consider it snarky because it showed your lack of understanding, that's not anyone's fault but your own. My mistake was even trying to help you with such an ignorant question.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

temporary rules are in black font while permanent rules are grayed. where is the problem to delete unwanted new lines now?

i can not find any example but this picture explains:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/s4s/image ... 217371.png

if the concerning site is still open change to this tab, open uB UI and click on the lock instead rubber to manifest as permanent rule

manual
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Brummelchen wrote:temporary rules are in black font while permanent rules are grayed. where is the problem to delete unwanted new lines now?

if the concerning site is still open change to this tab, open uB UI and click on the lock instead rubber to manifest as permanent rule
Thank you. ](*,)
Be careful, you might be called snarky for pointing out the obvious.