[Ext] Speed Start - visual bookmarks in new tab

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
JustOff

Re: [Ext] Speed Start - visual bookmarks in new tab

Post by JustOff »

WQing wrote:Hi, I tried enabling add-ons one by one and confirmed the conflicting add-on to be FireGestures. My settings are as follows: http://imgur.com/a/7AleZ Swipe gestures are disabled. Enabling "Do not start a gesture when holding the Alt key" does not seem to help. And if it matters, I'm on linux (Elementary OS).
After little investigation I can confirm compatibility issue with FireGestures on Linux. I've no idea how to fix this, as from my side I can see only that FireGestures prevents context menu call, even when mouse gestures disabled in options completely. As there are no such problem on Windows, this should be probably fixed by FireGestures author, but look at workaround below.
And for some unknown reason, the "Add to Speed Start" option in context menu shows up now :)
This function isn't compatible with e10s yet, so m.b. it was a cause in your case.
I found Desktop (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/desktop/) to be very similar so I tried that too. Desktop throws the same error (can't right click) though I can "double-right-click" to call out the context menu on New Tab, while in Speed Start, "double-right-click" just shows grid lines.
Try SStart 2.0.8b3 with FireGestures@Linux context menu workaround (open on dblclick).
Is there any difference between Speed Start and Desktop other than they're maintained by different people? Anyway, thanks for quick reply and maintaining this add-on! :)
Speed Start was forked from Desktop about nine months ago because of some long time unresolved problems. The most critical is the "tiles stack" (I've made a screenshot 'cause Desktop author is regularly deletes such complains). Since then a lot of fixes and new features were implemented (internal cache, gestures, scaling, more customizations, backup/restore, restartless, etc). However, now there are no plans for new (especially complex) functions, because I use it everyday for myself and want to keep it simple and quick.
WQing

Post by WQing »

JustOff wrote:Try SStart 2.0.8b3 with FireGestures@Linux context menu workaround (open on dblclick).
Thank you! Works like a charm!
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something? I have set up Folders but once I enter a Folder I can't get back to the Main Page or swap to another Folder. Is this how it's meant to be?
Cheers,
Keith
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

keithy397, simple use browser back button to return from folder to upper level.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

I've since worked it out thanks but I think a button or even better a tree structure would be easier.
Cheers,
Keith
nico202

Post by nico202 »

Hi, is it possible to have a non-static background? I mean, have it refreshed from the original file on "speed start" refresh, instead of having it cached (so that it is possible to change background just by changing that image)

PS: really like it
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

nico202, unfortunately no, and it was intended by design.
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

Speed Start 2.0.8

[±] Shift+Click - open link in background if open in new tab set to always
[±] FireGestures@Linux context menu workaround (open on dblclick)
[±] Right Links compatibility fix
[±] Misc focus issues resolved
JBanana

Post by JBanana »

I have a problem with Speed Start in SeaMonkey. It keeps forgetting that I want to load the Speed Start page when I open a tab. If I go to Addons Manager, disable Speed Start and enable it again, the problem is solved, but only for a while. Any suggestions for how to fix it?
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

It seems you have a conflict with another add-on which seize the new tab. Try to disable your extensions one by one to find the culprit.
erik_s11

can i save links

Post by erik_s11 »

Is there a possibility to save the links in a list . Or is there no other choice to use an older firefox?
JustOff

Re: can i save links

Post by JustOff »

erik_s11:
Sorry, but I can't decrypt you question(s).
JBanana

Post by JBanana »

Following my previous question, I tried what you suggested. All other extensions are now disabled. I still get the same behaviour. If I re-start SeaMonkey, the SpeedStart option "Load in new tab" is switched off. If I disable and re-enable SpeedStart, the option is switched on again, and works as expected until I re-start SeaMonkey.
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

JBanana:
This is very odd. I checked it once again with a fresh profile in SeaMonkey 2.48 and 2.49.1 and I can't reproduce the issue. Could you try a new profile and check if the problem persists?
JBanana

Post by JBanana »

I have a new profile. I wiped and re-installed SeaMonkey, including deleting all the profile info. The same problem happened on the new install.

Never mind. It only happens when I re-start my browser, and I don't do that often.

(Hint to other users: don't wipe all your profile info unless you really have to - it means that you have find all the extensions you were using and re-install them, but some will have disappeared, and others will no longer be supported)