IE Tab, open IE-only pages in "embedded IE"

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
My Left Hand

Post by My Left Hand »

hydreux wrote:
My Left Hand wrote:what happens is that a new tab opens with the IE icon, but the tab is blank and displays a plugin required icon.
when i click on that, it says it cant find a suitable icon.

the same happened to me and this is what i did:
1. i restored ieview.jar to the original jar file.
2. then i installed ie_tab_plugin_105.xpi
3. a message will pop up indicating that the installation was successful .
4. without closing fx, i installed ieview_ie_tab__mod_270.xpi next.
5. restart fx & it should be working fine...

thanks loads! i'm at work now, but i'll check it out as soon as i get home :)
n00ge

Post by n00ge »

Just got the extension. It's worked well for the most part but I had it crash FF once. Damn good idea though. Can't wait until it's an extension at mozilla update.
<a href="http://www.creativeruin.com">creativeruin.com</a>
khlo

Post by khlo »

Hey,

Awesome. Looks like a fantastic start and a promising extension. It could form the base of a nice developer tool which splits the screen in half and shows the Gecko rendered page on one side and the IE rendered page on the other. Might be an idea to start this as a project at Mozdev or whatever.

Various comments:

# The embedded IE object is available to all pages. I just created a test HTML page and managed to load the Internet Explorer object. Not sure if this poses a security risk but it's worth exploring.
# I'm wondering how hard it would be to create an iewebbrowser XUL component probably using XBL. I don't know much about XBL but I believe if this can be created as an XUL component you could create an IE Tab which would work with the address bar and search box. You could probably get Back button, etc. working too but I haven't explored the Firefox UI XUL+JS.
# It would be nice to have the warning bar at the top of windows rendered by IE for the paranoid. The context menu, etc. on IE rendered pages is also different so it makes sense for the user to know that.
Cinema4DXL

Post by Cinema4DXL »

just wondering if anyone notices that tab doesnt work with this?

like if i want to go from text box to text box or something

i cant use tab like i would normally do, i have to click on each text box
Hong Jen Yee

Post by Hong Jen Yee »

Cinema4DXL wrote:just wondering if anyone notices that tab doesnt work with this?

like if i want to go from text box to text box or something

i cant use tab like i would normally do, i have to click on each text box

This is a known bug, but there is no solution yet.
The embedded object doesn't have this kind of problem itself.
Only when embedded in Firefox does the IE object malfunction.
Maybe this strange behavior is caused by Firefox.
I devloped another plug-in before, and it got some problems with IME.
I don't know what Firefox could affect, but sometimes it does cause some strange problems.
This has been a known issue since the plug-in was released.
Hong Jen Yee

Post by Hong Jen Yee »

khlo wrote:Hey,

Awesome. Looks like a fantastic start and a promising extension. It could form the base of a nice developer tool which splits the screen in half and shows the Gecko rendered page on one side and the IE rendered page on the other. Might be an idea to start this as a project at Mozdev or whatever.

Various comments:

# The embedded IE object is available to all pages. I just created a test HTML page and managed to load the Internet Explorer object. Not sure if this poses a security risk but it's worth exploring.
# I'm wondering how hard it would be to create an iewebbrowser XUL component probably using XBL. I don't know much about XBL but I believe if this can be created as an XUL component you could create an IE Tab which would work with the address bar and search box. You could probably get Back button, etc. working too but I haven't explored the Firefox UI XUL+JS.
# It would be nice to have the warning bar at the top of windows rendered by IE for the paranoid. The context menu, etc. on IE rendered pages is also different so it makes sense for the user to know that.

Theoratically, this could be done, but my ability is quite limited.
We're wating for someone who can imporve this extension/plug-in.
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

I have a problem with the installation routine. As I often download nightlies, I moved my plugins folder to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla to save me having to reinstall the plugins each time I upgrade. The installation routine only installs to the plugins folder in the application folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Deer Park Alpha 2\plugins). IE Tab will only run if the plugins are here, which is incorrect.
|wizzard|

Post by |wizzard| »

is ok that plugin but i have one problem.if i visit site that refresh themselves my browsers always jump to the windows dat refreshed.how can i stop this?
|wizzard|

Post by |wizzard| »

and one problme the name of the site isn't displayed corectly i see the adress of the site in stead of the name
VirtualLarry

Post by VirtualLarry »

Wow, this looks really neat, for those that would hate to give up their beloved Firefox, but still be able to access Windows Update, etc. Even better, this tool could be used as an argument against institutions that have a "no Firefox" policy, because they utilize IE-dependent intranet content (such as certain schools/colleges, etc.). If they were to deploy this tool, and whitelist those intranet sites to open in IE-view tabs, then there should be no problem.. I think. (Can an IE window hosted by this tool, itself properly host other ActiveX controls inside that IE window? Will that work?)
|wizzard|

Post by |wizzard| »

i ask if it is possible just that
pile0nades

Post by pile0nades »

The reason it displays the address of the site is because this is still in development, and hasn't been fully integrated into Firefox yet.

Also, this plugin just embeds an IE window inside a Firefox tab, so yes all the ActiveX will work, otherwise Windows Update wouldn't work.

I'm not sure about the refresh problem.
Linkify bug numbers - test: bug 258287
|wizzard|

Post by |wizzard| »

when i acces some secure sites and want to user back button they send me to login page again or is dysplayed the first page.does some one knows what is the problem ?
|wizzard|

Post by |wizzard| »

i tried not netscape 8.0.3.3 based on firefox and there is a option view like ie or like ff.i wonder why this thing can't be implmented in ff too ? may be an extension something
FireManiac

Post by FireManiac »

Very nice extension! I got Windows Update to work perfectly! I have only had it for a few minutes and therefore I have not found any bugs, but I hope the trend continues! Nice job.
I have an annoying habit of correcting people.
(But that's okay since I am always right)