IE Tab, open IE-only pages in "embedded IE"

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pdschmid

Post by pdschmid »

Don't seem to be able to reproduce this behavior right now. I have been updating extenstions though in the meantime...
Duke D

Post by Duke D »

One last question.. do we need to delete plugin files or anything for this to work?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Duke D wrote:One last question.. do we need to delete plugin files or anything for this to work?

No. It's coded to recognize previous plugin installations, and has been from the beginning. It actually installs the plugin files in basically the same way it has from the beginning. I haven't changed the plugin install code, only stuck it in the extension installer pretty much.
Though I have tested my files both with removing my previous plugin first and with leaving it, and it worked either way regardless.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

pdschmid wrote:you mean windowsupdate.com does the checking of the IE version, and then forwards me to the update IE page and all of that happens before IE Tab is loaded....argh, didn't think of that

Just set www.windowsupdate.com to always open in IETab and things should work as you want them to. :)
pdschmid

Post by pdschmid »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:
pdschmid wrote:you mean windowsupdate.com does the checking of the IE version, and then forwards me to the update IE page and all of that happens before IE Tab is loaded....argh, didn't think of that

Just set www.windowsupdate.com to always open in IETab and things should work as you want them to. :)

I realized that when I was posting my earlier reply...
blinkybill

IE Tab

Post by blinkybill »

Sorry my last post i thought the page i gave out was the lastet version of IE Tab.
But after downloading the one XerBlade's page this one is way better.
Its a great extension and and i hope it will be developed more in the future

cheers
blinky
mahowi

Post by mahowi »

Is there any problem with this extensions and other locales than en-US? If I run FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051015 Firefox/1.4.1 Mnenhy/0.7.2.0 ID:2005101504) in german locale I get the following error when trying to open the preferences:

Code: Select all

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Undefinierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://ieview/content/ieviewsettings.xul
Zeile Nr. 52, Spalte 3:
                <caption label="&ieview.isietabgroup;" />
----------------^

If I switch back to en-US, everything's okay.
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052316 Firefox/3.0pre (mahowi) ID:2008052316
Thunderbird: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052904 Thunderbird/3.0a2pre ID:2008052904
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

mahowi wrote:Is there any problem with this extensions and other locales than en-US? If I run FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051015 Firefox/1.4.1 Mnenhy/0.7.2.0 ID:2005101504) in german locale I get the following error when trying to open the preferences:

Code: Select all

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Undefinierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://ieview/content/ieviewsettings.xul
Zeile Nr. 52, Spalte 3:
                <caption label="&ieview.isietabgroup;" />
----------------^

If I switch back to en-US, everything's okay.

Hmm... That would be an issue with the string definitions in the locale files. I can't help with translation issues... (as in someone leaving that field out of the German locale or something) but if it's just a misnaming of a variable or something, I'll look into it.
P.S. I actually had the same error (in English) on the en-US locale, only with a different caption label cited, on one of my development builds on the way to the current one I have up.

Edit: Found it. Translators. Those locale files will not work with the current version of IE Tab (or the ones for quite a long time, they might've worked with the original it seems, but they haven't been updated). I can fix it only as far as making the needed strings English in all locales, but with all other stuff naturally in the localized language. I'm not a translator, just a programmer.

Edit2: Fixed where it should at least work correctly in all configured locales. With the added parts in English, of course. Though I noticed several of the locales contained untranslated English fields already. Someone might want to test some of them to be sure.... I don't really have the will to do so myself (nor the patience nor the time), and as long as the English version works fine most people here are apparently happy, so....
http://xeras.tripod.com/cpu/ietab.html
mahowi

Post by mahowi »

Thank you for your quick fix. Now the properties dialog works again in german locale.
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052316 Firefox/3.0pre (mahowi) ID:2008052316
Thunderbird: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052904 Thunderbird/3.0a2pre ID:2008052904
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Direct link to installer can now be found in this post:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... st&p=17562
And file itself is here:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... ost&id=948
LeoKesler

Post by LeoKesler »

I have a question: when I click in a link and select the option "Open link Target in IE", the new tab opens but firefox waits for 3-4 seconds befores to start the loading of the page.

This is normal or this is a bug ?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

LeoKesler wrote:I have a question: when I click in a link and select the option "Open link Target in IE", the new tab opens but firefox waits for 3-4 seconds befores to start the loading of the page.

This is normal or this is a bug ?

It's completely normal. It works by picking up the URL in the link and sending it to the IE Tab plugin to open an object (IE View works by sending that URL in a command line iexplore.exe [URL] call). The lag time is from the time it takes to pick up the URL, send it to the plugin, and load the embedded IE instance through the plugin before it ever starts actually loading the page. Some code I took from the 1.5 beta versions of IE View help a little bit, but not by much, and it isn't really noticeable (it mainly makes it more stable in the picking up of the URL itself).

While I'm in a post, planned non-IE View version-related updates:
1) Auto-update feature (I've actually worked on this one quite a bit, no luck yet).
2) Make middle-clicking the statusbar icon open the page reloaded in the other engine load in a new tab (I've worked on this one some, but it gives me a headache when I do).
3) Make the toolbar button function the same as the statusbar button currently does (to naturally be done after 2 is done, for various reasons [though of course without the icon switch, as that isn't exactly feasible in a toolbar button]).

And could someone let me know if the current versions work in nightly builds? And please post your user agent if it works for you and you're using one of the nightlies, so I can be sure and know which one you're talking about.
caramanis

Post by caramanis »

XerBlade,

It's working for me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051018 Firefox/1.4.1 - Build ID: 2005101805
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

caramanis wrote:XerBlade,

It's working for me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051018 Firefox/1.4.1 - Build ID: 2005101805

All right. Anyone using the trunk nightlies or something?
n00ge

Post by n00ge »

Would this work if I installed the IE7 beta? Anybody try?
<a href="http://www.creativeruin.com">creativeruin.com</a>