Can you get this Add-on manually signed: PlainOldFavorites

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
c627627

Can you get this Add-on manually signed: PlainOldFavorites

Post by c627627 »

EDIT: I had to edit this post to clarify the fact that the Extension can be manually signed but when installed as signed, doesn't actually work.

The last official version was PlainOldFavorites 1.3: [link removed]
There actually is a signed version 1.4.1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 4.1-signed

Problem: v1.4.1 does not initially load instantaneously. To get around the problem, I simply continued using the last official unsigned version 1.3 which, as you may know, will have no override in Firefox 44 as it does in Firefox 43.

I know how to get every single one of the unsigned Extensions I use signed manually but cannot get PlainOldFavorites 1.3 .xpi file signed *and get it to work* no matter what I try.
It would be educational if you post how you managed to do it - if you can actually get it manually signed *and get it to work*.

The .xpi link is: [removed link] If you can you figure out how to get it manually signed *and get it to work*, I would be grateful.
Last edited by c627627 on December 26th, 2015, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
mightyglydd

Re: Can you get this Add-on manually signed: PlainOldFavorit

Post by mightyglydd »

See here....
viewtopic.php?p=14453309#p14453309

@"Version 1.3 Compatibility with Firefox 22"
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

As soon as (link removed) is signed, it actually can be installed - but does not work.
So *any* code change to install.rdf causes this particular Extension to not work, only the original untouched code works.

Have you encountered this with other Extensions, is it some kind of a protective measure to prevent people making changes?

So regardless of my original reason for asking this, the question is, why does *any* change to that specific .xpi file make it no longer work?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

The extension has an owner so I doubt AMO would let anyone else have it signed.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

The problem with Plain Old Favorites is that it does not pass the full review test, so it is currently only preliminary reviewed on AMO. You can install it on your system by clicking the install button on AMO. If you manually try to install the add-on, by extracting it to your extensions folder it does result in the extension validation warning. To workaround this you can manually submit the addon to AMO to get it signed as an unlisted addon.

BTW, I have no problems using Plain Old Favorites 1.4 on my system. Interestingly the 1.3 version did not work for me. You have to make sure that you completely uninstall the 1.3 version before installing 1.4.
Last edited by Ach3r0n on December 26th, 2015, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Well, the instructions mightyglydd kindly linked to work for this and every other Extension I ever tried. This Extension can be signed, it just won't work the moment any change is made to install.rdf.

My apologies for not being clear, the Extension is supposed to display a Favorites menu next to a Bookmarks menu.
The Favorites menu displays Internet Explorer Favorites on the system.

Problem: If any change is made to install.rdf, nothing is shown under Favorites in Firefox, in other words, it stops working.
It only works if no changes whatsoever are made to its install.rdf.

The manual signing process does work for this and every other Add-on I ever tried using instructions linked to above.
The problem with this specific .xpi is that it stops working any time a change is made to its install.rdf and therefore cannot be manually signed *and* working.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This has nothing to do with Firefox Support. Moving to Extension/Theme Releases.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

c627627 wrote:1.3.1.xpi is signed, it actually can be installed - but does not work.
Why would it ? Fx 22 went EOL in June 2013 :roll:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

Hi c627627, Plain Old Favorites has a check in the code for the add-on id. You have to replace the reference to the original add-on id with your own inside PlainOldFavoritesService.js.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Hi Ach3r0n,
your post is gold and it really did help getting it to work.
I feel like I'm one step away from the solution:

When I open the PlainOldFavoritesService.js in my Firefox profile and change the line that starts with AddonManager.getAddonByID - it really fixes it and it works again. However the Extension is no longer signed...

So this obviously needs to be done inside the installation .xpi file before it is manually signed. The problem is, if I make the change inside .xpi file's
PlainOldFavoritesService.js then I get an error message saying the add-on appears to be corrupt.

So how can this be done inside the .xpi file if it doesn't work if PlainOldFavoritesService.js is adjusted inside the .xpi file...
Ach3r0n

Post by Ach3r0n »

If editing the files inside the xpi is problematic you might want to extract the addon first, then modify the add-on code and compress it again as a zip file and change the extension back to xpi. If you want to keep using the same add-on id you also need to up the version number and submit it again using the upload new version option.

P.S. I have sent you a PM you might be interested in.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Ach3r0n, thank you for sharing, yes absolutely making small changes to Extensions is a valid reason to sign them manually.
Sometimes, there are some Extensions that have spelling mistakes, and the author doesn't really care or has time to correct them... Easy fix if you can manually sign them for future Firefox 44.

I see you have the latest signed version of plain_old_favorites-1.4.1.4, is there any chance you can make a signed version of v1.3.1 from original author's web site:
[link removed]
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

PlainOldFavorites isn't open source but rather copyrighted. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 4.1-signed Without permission from the developer your really cannot use the source except privately. Locking this and removed the links due to license issues.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."