[Ext] uBlock Origin: fantastic! ...but a little help?

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
semigeek

[Ext] uBlock Origin: fantastic! ...but a little help?

Post by semigeek »

I recently installed Firefox 44 on an Android phone and while trying to figure out how to get some of the security and control I'm used to on the desktop, discovered a single add-on that does it all! uBlock Origin. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ck-origin/

uBo has selective (site-specific) blocking/allowing like NoScript; ad blocking, which I don't normally do by default using lists, but makes more sense on a tiny phone screen; cosmetic filtering like the usercontent.css file I can't use with Android FF, but even easier with a touch-select interface; and more. You can try things out on the fly before making them permanent, features can be selected independently, and it's all highly customizable. And it doesn't seem to slow FF down at all. Really great work!

There is a bit of a learning curve with some trial and error, as the online wiki documentation is a bit sparse (at least for a semi-geek like me). So I do still have a few questions if anyone can help:

(1) Why do successive taps on the script-blocking chart boxes give first a grey box and then a partially colored one? I'm not sure what the difference is in terms of rules to be added, what the little "+" and "-" signs in the right column indicate, etc.

(2) What is the Pick button on the eyedropper select menu for? (I don't see anything happening.)

(3) How are rules best edited on a small phone screen, where once the keyboard pops up you can barely see what you're doing? Can the temporary-rule window at least expand to full screen width?

(4) How do you identify individual inline scripts to exclude, rather than simply blocking all -- does this require examining source code, presumably on the desktop?
semigeek

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin: fantastic! ...but a little help?

Post by semigeek »

Oops, just answered #2 myself from the previously maligned wiki: Pick returns to selecting a (different) element. This was not easily understood because the page remained greyed-out with the previously selected element still highlighted. Perhaps this is a bug on Android?

Also on #1: The wiki does say what the "+/-" signs are, I just don't know what the changing colors with successive taps are.
DanRaisch

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin: fantastic! ...but a little help?

Post by DanRaisch »