[Ext] Bookmark Tab Here (webextension)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
custom.firefox.lady

[Ext] Bookmark Tab Here (webextension)

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Adds context menu item 'Bookmark Tab Here' to Bookmarks Menus as an alternative bookmarking method. Couldn't get used to Firefox Quantum without ABH2, so I created this ultra-basic webextension substitute.

Right-click a bookmarks folder (in Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Toolbar, or Bookmarks Button) and click 'Bookmark Tab Here' to insert bookmark of current tab at top of that folder (or optionally at the bottom). Right click individual bookmark menuitem instead to insert bookmark of current tab below that item. (Useage on Bookmarks Sidebar and in the Library (Show all bookmarks) requires Firefox 66+).

Release Version - Download/Install at AMO: Bookmark Tab Here

Prerelease/Development Build: Note that beta versions will not automatically update to a newer beta version; check this post for any possible beta updates. Once the release version becomes available on AMO, the beta version will auto-update to release version.

Changes since version1.0:
* Add zh-CN locale
Edit: Currently unavailable - waiting for updated translation
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on May 29th, 2020, 7:46 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Makyen

Re: [Ext] Bookmark Tab Here (webextension - new)

Post by Makyen »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Download/Install at AMO: Bookmark Tab Here
At least according to the documentation, the bookmark context is only available from Firefox 59. If your extension is restricted to FF59+, you really need to explicitly state that, so that you don't set people's expectations inaccurately.

Yes, this is the only way that this is possible at this point, well, as of FF59. I was considering making such an extension myself. Now, I know I don't need to. Thanks for doing the work.
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Adds context menu item 'Bookmark Tab Here' to Bookmarks Menus as an alternative bookmarking method. Couldn't get used to Firefox Quantum without ABH2, so I created this ultra-basic webextension substitute.

Right-click a bookmarks folder (in Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Toolbar, or Bookmarks Button) and click 'Bookmark Tab Here' to insert bookmark of current tab at top of that folder. (Right click individual bookmark menuitem instead to insert bookmark of current tab below that item.)

Please report any issues in this thread.

Download/Install at AMO: Bookmark Tab Here
So to be clear, this sounds like it does exactly what I want, but it is only going to start working in FF 59 which is getting released next month because it's waiting for new APIs or whatever? I don't know how versioning works in webextension, but shouldn't the installer have recognized I'm still on FF 58 and not installed? I assume it's safe to leave it installed until then.
Makyen

Post by Makyen »

pschroeter wrote:
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Adds context menu item 'Bookmark Tab Here' to Bookmarks Menus as an alternative bookmarking method [...]
Download/Install at AMO: Bookmark Tab Here
So to be clear, this sounds like it does exactly what I want, but it is only going to start working in FF 59 which is getting released next month because it's waiting for new APIs or whatever? I don't know how versioning works in webextension, but shouldn't the installer have recognized I'm still on FF 58 and not installed? I assume it's safe to leave it installed until then.
Yes, based on the documentation, it needs FF59+, but I haven't tested it. It could have/should have been written such that installation is only permitted in FF >= 59. Setting such restrictions is up to the extension developer (e.g. through setting

Code: Select all

"applications": { "gecko": { "strict_min_version": "59.0" }}
in the extension's manifest.json). It's not done automatically.

I haven't looked at the code, but unless something unusual was done, leaving it installed shouldn't cause you any problems due to this issue. This should be just a minor issue, which will resolve itself (mostly) once FF59 is released. However, it's likely to result in user confusion and poor reviews.

If you want the functionality now, you could install the Beta version of Firefox. Developer Edition or Nightly (both available from that linked page) would also be 59+. However, those two versions tend to be less stable, and have features which may not be desired.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Did some basic testing using portableapps.com versions of FF:
FF 58 Release: Doesn't work, as anticipated by Makyen.
FF 60 Nightly: Works in the bookmarks menu but not in the sidebar...
custom.firefox.lady

Makyen wrote:At least according to the documentation, the bookmark context is only available from Firefox 59. If your extension is restricted to FF59+, you really need to explicitly state that, so that you don't set people's expectations inaccurately.
I missed that; thanks for the info. Released a new version with min version set to fx 59. I tested on Nightly (60).
Makyen wrote:Yes, this is the only way that this is possible at this point, well, as of FF59. I was considering making such an extension myself. Now, I know I don't need to. Thanks for doing the work.
I waited awhile to see if the ABH2 dev would jump back in or someone else take it up, but I guess I ran out of patience before you did <grin>. You're welcome. I mostly did it for myself, but might as well share.
pschroeter wrote:I'm still on FF 58 ... I assume it's safe to leave it installed until then.
Sure, you can always just disable it until you move to fx59; then re-enable. No need to actually uninstall. Sorry for the trouble.
enbalmed wrote:FF 60 Nightly: Works in the bookmarks menu but not in the sidebar...
Correct. That's why my initial post doesn't mention the sidebar. The webext API for this doesn't work on the sidebar: Bug 1419195
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

I just want you to know how how happy and thrilled I am to know something like this is coming in the foreseeable future. I think I started using ABH when it was still ABH1 years and years ago. I have been on Quantum for about six weeks and still daily have to fight muscle memory and stop myself from saving bookmarks like I still have ABH2.
Now if I could only stop myself from double clicking on tabs to close them now that Tab Mix Plus seems dead.
nektar4d

Post by nektar4d »

Thank you!
MorpheusUK

Post by MorpheusUK »

Thanks for this. I will have to wait for 59 to test it but not having ABH2 has been a real pain, like someone else here I have been using ABH since the original extension and not having it has been quite annoying as it was one of the first extensions I would install. I have actually raised a feature request about the ABH2 functionality being incorporated into FF, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1437287 which mentioned this extension. and dragging and dropping for the sidebar.

@pschroeter, Tab Mix Plus is back (in a limited experimental form at present) - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... extension/
koyama

Post by koyama »

Thanks to this add-on. I use on Firefox 59beta. I have used ABH2 before Firefox 57. Like that, I hope 'rename bookmark' dialogue
before closing this add-on.
gtackett

Post by gtackett »

Bob4K wrote:You should try Waterfox, which keeps legacy addons working.
Firefox is dead for me, too many addons just cannot be replaced.

If you test Waterfox 56, here is a version of Add Bookmark 2 that works with it:

Code: Select all

https://ufile.io/6qiub
That works no better, for me at least, with Waterfox 6.1.0.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

installed, entry is at the bottom whatever i chose. v59 x86. any hints?
custom.firefox.lady

Brummelchen wrote:installed, entry is at the bottom whatever i chose. v59 x86. any hints?
WFM. Specific STR & what exactly you are expecting would have been helpful. Could you be misinterpreting the Option's purpose? It controls where the item you bookmark appears in the menu when you set the bookmark by context-clicking a bookmark folder (then clicking 'Bookmark Tab Here'). It does not control where 'Bookmark Tab Here' appears in the context menu. Unfortunately the API provides no way to control placement in the context menu (see Bug 1325758).
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ok, thx.

maybe "Insert Bookmark at Top" "Insert Bookmark at Bottom" would be more precisely.
at least i dont insert a tab more a bookmark thats why "Tab" is no longer in my suggestion.
custom.firefox.lady

Brummelchen wrote:ok, thx.
maybe "Insert Bookmark at Top" "Insert Bookmark at Bottom" would be more precisely.
at least i dont insert a tab more a bookmark thats why "Tab" is no longer in my suggestion.
I think it's well described in the caption of the AMO screenshot, but will change the text of the Option in the next version of BTH.