[EXT] MySessions (session manager)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rebop

Re: [EXT] MySessions (session manager)

Post by rebop »

Thanks. That solved the opening in the wrong order. However, every sessions starts with a "new tab", at least on those I import. No way to save the session without that leading new tab.

Ideas for that?

Thanks again.

~Bob
CromS

Post by CromS »

This is a very old bug, consider it a feature.
rebop

Post by rebop »

Hahahahaha. Ok.

Gotta tell ya, tough finding the "right" for me session manager for newer browsers. As a matter of fact, liokely 4 extensions I cannot live without that do not have equal contemporary versions.

That being said, MySessions is till closest...

~Bob
KIMWHO

Post by KIMWHO »

CromS wrote:
MerpDerp wrote:Hi, whats the difference between the "Enable Timeline" setting and the "Autosave every 5 mins" setting? Seems like they both do the same thing?

Cheers.
Yes. They do almost the same thing. But TimeLine saves sessions in local storage, and AutoSave saves it in bookmarks.
Congrats CromS for your extension, it's really great.

Can I use TimeLine only to saves my sessions in local storage instead of bookmarks folder?
CromS

Post by CromS »

As I already wrote in the TimeLine reviews, it is a very unreliable storage, in the event of a browser or system crash, you will lose everything. You can use it at your own risk.
But please make backups periodically.
KIMWHO

Post by KIMWHO »

CromS wrote:it is a very unreliable storage, in the event of a browser or system crash, you will lose everything.
Thanks for your response.
I see. It's annoying that each time I'm looking for a specific bookmark it shows also bookmarks saved from MySessions. Is there a way to avoid that?
bickle2

Post by bickle2 »

EDIT: I can't delete this, so here's an update. The addon 'Default Bookmark Folder' was interfering. I disabled it and everything is back to normal.

Hi, I noticed that recently it is no longer saving the urls. I'm wondering if there might be a Firefox setting that could be interfering? For example, I just exported my session history and this is indicative of recent entries:
bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte »

KIMWHO wrote:Thanks for your response.
I see. It's annoying that each time I'm looking for a specific bookmark it shows also bookmarks saved from MySessions. Is there a way to avoid that?
Somewhat related to ^: Is there anyway to exclude the MySessions-folders from the bookmark-indicator? I can't tell if page x is already added to the bookmarks by me or that the indicator is active because it's in a MySessions-folder...
mezzodiva54

Post by mezzodiva54 »

Hi, I added MySessions to my Firefox and blithely worked away without even thinking about it forever, until last week when either a Firefox update or a Windows update trashed my many (many) windows and tabs, and of course left no previous profile for me to try to restore the session. So now, after all this time I click on the MySessions icon and hold my breath. I had no autorestored previous sessions more recent than this past June, four months ago. Gulp. I read that you had disabled this feature, and that we were to use the timeline instead. Fine, but I found two problems: when I looked at how it was currently configured, Timeline was saving a maximum of 50 tabs. Obviously I should have gone in before and made this larger (I did now), HOWEVER when I click on the Timeline and look at the snapshots, although the little hand appears when I hover over one, I am unable to open anything. Nothing happens. So now it looks as though I have a choice of a four-month-old restore point or ... nothing? I do not understand how we are supposed to be using Timeline as AutoSave if this doesn't really do anything. I am stuck, and am currently sort of avoiding my computer altogether until I can resolve this issue. I really, really, really do not want to have to spend an entire day (or longer) attempting to recover my session by attempting to restore some previous profile in Firefox. I hope someone is reading this and can help me.
nap_blownapart

Post by nap_blownapart »

I've been using Michael Kraft's Session Manager addon for years now, and rely on it so much that I have, to date, refused to upgrade to FireFox versions on which it does not work. Thus, I am still using "WaterFox".
Recently, I've noticed that some sites no longer support the version of WaterFox that I use and am therefore being forced to upgrade my browser. Hence my excitement when I saw the note in this Addon's description concerning being able to import from Michael's addon, and I have therefore installed MySessions into FireFox 93.

My question is: What addon can I install in FireFox 93 that essentially does what Michael's legacy addon does? I'm not interested in cloud storage nor synchronisation between devices, and I don't need periodic backups. I just need to be able to save collections of pages/tabs under meaningful names. I do use Tree-Style-Tabs, and Michael's addon did not have any problems with that, so I'm hoping this isn't an issue with FireFox 93.
v_v

Post by v_v »

nap_blownapart,

I have not used it so I cannot vouch for it, but have you explored or tried "Tab Session Manager"? " https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n-manager/ "
nap_blownapart

Post by nap_blownapart »

v_v:
I actually already had their page open. :)
In my case, I'm not simply looking for a session manager, I also need a pathway to 'importing' my existing sessions. Hence my question.
Would you know if "Tab Session Manager" is able to do that? Alternatively, where do the imported sessions go when using "MySessions"?
nap_blownapart

Post by nap_blownapart »

To the Author of "MySession" wrt version 2021.6.0 and "Session Manager" v0.8.1.13

The import file option does not import Michael Kraft's Session Files correctly. A couple problems I can immediately point to:
1) The Tree-Style-Tab Tree hierarchy is not restored. All the tabs are loaded in a flat-file format. (I use Tree-Style-Tabs in both my old browser, WaterFox, as well as in FireFox 93.)
2) In some cases, the rendered tab, instead of showing the correct link, displays a page from the "Back" history, however the history is not available so I'm not able to get to the actually saved page.
3) In other cases, instead of showing the saved page, a randomly selected link (meaning I haven't looked at the addon's code to see what the actual algorithm is) from the saved page is shown. In my case, an image that was part of the saved page. As with (2) above, the page has no attached history, so I cannot get back to the actual saved page.
v_v

Post by v_v »

nap_blownapart,

As I said I have not used Tab Session Manager, so I cannot vouch for what it can do or how well it does it.

However I did just load it into Firefox just now and when I did a tab came up that allows you to explore the settings and other capabilities. Amongst these under the "Sessions" section I found the following:
Import sessions

Load sessions saved on the computer and add them to the session List.

Supported files:

- Tab Session Manager (.json)
- Session Buddy (.json)
- Session Manager (.session)
- Firefox Session Store Backup (.jsonlz4 .baklz4)
How to import sessions from other extensions
So see what you can do with the above.

v_v
nap_blownapart

Post by nap_blownapart »

V_V: Thanks!! It imported my session.

However, for the record:
1) The Tree-Style-Tab Tree hierarchy is not restored; all the tabs are loaded in a flat-file format. (I use Tree-Style-Tabs in both my old browser, WaterFox, as well as in FireFox 93.)
2) The "Back" and "Forward" history are not restored.

I will let the developer know about this, and hopefully it can be worked out.

Cheers,
Nap

PS.. I've looked a bit deeper into the addon, and it looks nice. They have a GitHub repo, so I can follow-up with them there.