[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Another <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (v0.2.3.2+) which almost completely adapts the visual changes from bug 291002. If you don't like it, please mention it now (including reasons and if possible enhancement suggestions) - otherwise this will be v0.2.4 in a few days.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

The icons without any sign sure look weird, whatever kmgerich thinks about that.

Another nitpick is that for very high messages background looks weird. E.g. try evaluating this:

Code: Select all

var s="asdfasdfasdfasdf\n" ; for(var i=1;i<10; i++) s=s+s; Components.reportError(s);

Didn't comment in the bug, because I don't really care.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

hi guys,
don't know if somebody had bought this up before or not as have not read the whole bulk of messages but is it possible to have some kind of timing associated with the messages so that we know that so & so error parsing occured at time so one can relate with specific pages or/and extensions at points in time. This would make it more easier to handle stuff. What do u guys think?
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
onemen

Post by onemen »

The icons without any sign look naked
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Others have already commented on the icons. I'm not very happy with those either.

2 little things:
1/ if you don't use the vertical border-right next to the icon (and I like it that way, I think that border was more clutter than anything), then it might be an idea to add some more padding-right to the 'console-row-icon' box (pushing the textual message a bit more to the right).
2/ I'm not crazy about the use of font-weight bold on the message description (.console-row[type=""] description). It feels just heavy.
Font-weight normal fits better for me.

old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Another try, now that you've got the original console for comparison: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">v0.2.3.3+</a>. I suppose I'll stick with the new icons - even though I wasn't really happy with them in the beginning, either. As for the missing signs (and them looking naked): that space is actually quite fit for the mode designator. And you most probably will get used to the cleaner look.

@asqueella: I've reverted the background to the OS' default highlight color. That fixes the problem in an IMO reasonable way. BTW: thanks to your code I've also detected some scrolling issues...

@shirishag75: I've thought of it - and discarded it for the simple reason that Gecko doesn't provide the necessary information (see bug 228205).

@phiw13: I'd prefer to go with as little padding as possible. Like this the icons can serve as list bullets and you don't get too much whitespace when there's some code below the error message. Besides: I've also been reducing horizontal spacing in order to get better results for the sidebar. As for the bold error messages - I'd like to give them a try. Gives errors more weight when among warnings and messages, and makes looking for them easier when you're not filtering them. The following addition to userChrome.css might help you, though:

.console-row[type="error"] description { font-weight: normal !important; }
rschultz2002

Post by rschultz2002 »

Looks like I and moving to this. Please do not slap big ass icons in the toolbar. Thank you
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Here go some "big ass" icons: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">Console² 0.2.4</a>. The small icons are - lacking a better alternative - still from the Qute theme. Other notable changes: uncaught exceptions are parsed into a more readable format and most accelerators were removed from the sidebar console.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

@shirishag75: I've thought of it - and discarded it for the simple reason that Gecko doesn't provide the necessary information (see bug 228205).

Hi there, first of all thanx for replying so quickly, I looked at the above bug report as not a developer so couldn't understand many things although found out the specific issue that somebody had raised bug 122213 Hence the questions gets modified a little bit :-
1. Is the bug open or somebody working on that or what's the status there, the last comment was on Jan 23rd 2k5
2. If I'm interested that these guys should work on that, then what's the best way forward for doing this,
writing to the reporter or what?
Of course both the questions above are nothing to do with u'r extension hence if u don't feel like answering that's o.k.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
KomarQ

Post by KomarQ »

Well, I've found something ... not to good. Example - JavaScript Console and error:

Error: [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'JavaScript component threw a null value as an exception' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"  nsresult: "0x8057001d (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_NULL)"  location: "<unknown>"  data: no]"]

And Error Consol and this same error:

Error: 'JavaScript component threw a null value as an exception' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]

I thing, that original notification is better.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@KomarQ: You'll have to be more specific about why you think that the original message is better. It is hardly more informative and IMHO less simple to read. In the next version, I'd just add the error code, if it isn't shown already:

Error: 'JavaScript component threw a null value as an exception' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent] = NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_NULL

Although I'm not sure if even this is needed. Another advantage of the parsed format is that locations are converted into clickable links to the source code.

Use the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">testing version</a> for the modified behavior.
KomarQ

Post by KomarQ »

Hmmmm, you are right. :) In original message there are too much info, but ... that additional error code in your ext will be good. :)
Yakkity_yak

Post by Yakkity_yak »

the error console doesn't have buttons or options anymore.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051025 Firefox/1.5
I tried updating, no success http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/237/de0lq.png
Yakkity_yak, don't come back.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Yakkity_yak wrote:the error console doesn't have buttons or options anymore.

Apart from the fact that you seem to be using an old version of Console², that's most probably an incompatibility with some other extension which tries to fiddle around with the JavaScript Console. If updating doesn't help, try to disable your other extensions one by one and see whether this helps. Should you find an incompatible extension, please notify us here and inform its author about it. And if it's no extensions fault, then you've simply got a hosed up profile.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Would it be possible to either add its own hotkey for opening to Console², or support Web Developer's "Open JavaScript Console" key combination (key ID: webdeveloper-open-javascript-console-key; default: CTRL+SHIFT+J) in any way?
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík