[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jholder

filters do not change in console 0.2.5

Post by jholder »

I apologize if this was covered somewhere earlier. I just upgraded to FF1.5 a few days ago, and like most people noticed the CSS errors showing up in the console. A few searches later, I found console2.5 and installed it. I'm a little confused by the behavior (or for me apparent lack thereof).

The basics:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Console<sup>2</sup> 0.2.5

It seems to install fine, and pops up when clicked as expeected. I visit a site to get a few errors in the console, and then go up to the menu items.

The first thing I try to change is the Language. I click on the drop down, then select the JS option. I was expecting to things to occurr when I did this.
1.)I assumed the menu would to switch from showing "Lang: All" to "Lang:JS". It didn't but not big deal.
2.) The list would automatically be filtered as soon as I changed things.

Of course neither one happened. I thought I might have missed the button, so I hit the dropdown again, and noticed that the JS option did have a blue circle by it. So I figured that I probably just needed to clear the console and hit another site. When I hit the site, CSS errors were still showing up.

So I'm confused. Is the behavior I was expecting not the default behavior? Am I missing something?

Also, as an aside. I was looking for the clear console button, took a few seconds. I tried to use the "customize" option, but its useless as far as I can tell. It opens up a "window" (its approximately 10px wide, and 15px high in the middle of my screen). When I expanded it there was nothin in it. It was basically a resizable grey square.

Anyway, I hope someone can help.
Thanks,
James
Peng

Post by Peng »

jholder:

That's definitely not what's supposed to happen. Changing which language is selected should change what is shown on the button and instantly (more or less) filter the results and new errors from other languages shouldn't show up (though they will if you select that language or all languages again).

And the Customize window has a bunch of different buttons in it.

Try reinstalling Console²? Might as well upgrade to Console² 0.2.5.1+, it hasn't given me any problems.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

And make sure you don't have an outdated version of Console Filter. I think it caused a problem to me before.
jholder

reinstalled, no luck

Post by jholder »

I tried what you guys suggested. I removed console 2.5 (restarted FF). Went and found 2.5.1 (http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi) and installed that. Restarted and gave it a try.

It's still exhibiting the same behavior. No buttons in the customize window. Not behavior that I expected to see. etc. etc.

I tried to pay closer attention to the behavior and whats happening, so here is a report.

<b>Type:</b>
Since everything that is thrown into that window (from the pages I check) are errors, changing the menu options to:
Type: Warnings or Type:Messages will hide all of the messages on the screen. (Type: Errors or Type:All will redisplay them). this behavior _seems_ to function as intended. Although I'm a little disturbed that the menu header (where it says Type:All doesn't update to reflect your choice. Though the blue circle does indicate which option is selected. .... Woah. Fortuitously, it looks like FF just checked to see if it needed any extension updates, so I had some messages in the window. So selecting only Errors hides the messages. I still can't speak for warnings but it looks like everything else for this menu works. Though I really wish the menu would indicate what is chosen.

<b>Lang</b>
Absolutely nothing. I can't make this work at all, and of course, this is what I was most interested in (hiding the CSS errors). The blue circle shows up correctly, but seems to have no effect. This also does not update the menu header.

<b>Anywhere (Where to look for errors)</b>
These don't appear to do anything. The blue circle shows up correctly, but seems to have no effect. This also does not update the menu header.

<b>Options</b>
<i>Hide Duplicates</i>: The green check shows up, but does not appear to do anything. (i reloaded the same page twice to make sure i had dupe errors)
<i>Report Strict</i>: The green check shows up, but does not appear to do anything.
<i>First &gt; Last Sort Order</i>: This seems to work.
<i>Last &gt; First Sort Order</i>: This seems to work.
<i>Clear Console</i>: Works.

I took a screen cap of the customize window. There is a screen cap of the customize window at <a href="http://www.thedigitalpimp.org/images/console_2_5_1.png">http://www.thedigitalpimp.org/images/console_2_5_1.png</a> you'll see it near the end of the 5th error message) if you're interested.

Thanks for listening.

--james
jholder

Hmm, found the source of the problem

Post by jholder »

On a whim, I decided to try installing console as another user. So I did, restarted, and opened up the console. Lo' and behold it worked exactly as advertised (and there was much rejoicing).

So I went back to my normal profile and took a look at the other extensions I had installed. I noticed three that I thought might have had an issue with operability of the console.

JAvascript Debugger 0.9.84
JS Console Extensions 0.2
DOM Inspector 1.8

I removed the first extension (debugger), and restarted. no change. I then re-installed the console. still no change.

When I removed the Console Extensions and restarted however, every thing seemed to work and fall into place.

So if anyone had trouble, check and see what extensions are installed. I'm going to reinstall the Debugger and see if it was just the console extensions that were failing.

--james
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Litegod wrote:Is it possible to use the Firefox 1.5 icons for the Console2 extension? They look a lot better to me and are also used in the buttons panel...

Do you mean something like the following (add this to your userChrome.css - works at least with the winstripe theme):

Code: Select all

#Console2Window .console-row[type="error"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Error.png") !important;
}
#Console2Window .console-row[type="warning"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Warning.png") !important;
}
#Console2Window .console-row[type="message"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Question.png") !important;
}
#Console2Window .console-row .console-row-icon > stack > box {
   margin: 20px 0px 0px 10px !important;
}

asqueella wrote:By the way, you could also fix the bug 318245 itself ;)

I'll think about it - on the other hand: what else could you evaluate there? After all, "evaluating" is neither "loading", nor "error checking", nor "showing". And if you're talking about "beginners", then there's quite a lot more about the Console as presented by this extension which is unclear at best (the customizable toolbar being the most obvious offender). Oh, well...

jholder wrote:When I removed the Console Extensions and restarted however, every thing seemed to work and fall into place.

Console² obviously isn't compatible with most extensions which try to modify the JavaScript Console only partially. I've seen these difficulties myself when adapting my Console Filter extension for working with both consoles in the same way. Your options are in this case to either drop the offending extension or to write its author and inform him about the incompatibility.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Possibly a bug in error console:

(Sorry, very long line)
If you see this line in the error console, the horizontal scrolling goes only up to a certain amount and then go abruptly blank.
You can only see the bold printed part, and after that the complete window goes blank, even if you click on the little scroll arrow. The size of the calculated scrollbar seems to be ok.

Error: Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of invalid rule set.
Source file: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0651448570352947&dt=1134998640332&lmt=1134998640&
format=728x90_as&output=html&channel=0750285035&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.mozillazine.org%2Fviewforum
.php%3Ff%3D38&
color_bg=EFEFEF&color_text=006666&color_link=006666&color_url=006666&color_border=EFEFEF&ad_type=text&
ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.mozillazine.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D357048&cc=100&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=996&u_aw=1280&
u_cd=32&u_tz=60&u_his=5&u_java=true&u_nplug=21&u_nmime=83
Line: 2

Edit: Line wrapped for better reading ;-)
Last edited by trolly on December 20th, 2005, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peng

Post by Peng »

trolly: Yeah, I've seen that too.

Edit: Could you please wrap your very long line...?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@trolly: AFAICT, this is a Gecko bug. See bug 302294 for a list of possible offenders. Since I haven't found a work-around yet, you'll have to either filter these entries out or to delete them selectively (if you're bothered by them at all).
trolly

Post by trolly »

I'm not bothered with them. I was just surprised. If i really want to read them i can copy and paste them in an editor or so.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i just switched from console filter to console2 and noticed that console2 doesn't support native theme icons (i use qute so winstripe icons look out of place), so i modified console2 to use the user's theme's icons. hopefully, this will be included in the next release.

console2 using native theme icons
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Console² supported native icons in versions 0.1.6 and 0.1.7. I dropped it for the simple reason that depending on the theme used the icons are located at different URIs and it's a PITA to check for all possibilities. Now that the official icons have additionally been reduced in size, the overlays used for CSS and XML errors won't display properly at least for the winstripe theme. If you want native icons, you can always load them through userChrome.css (see my post above for an example).
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

zeniko wrote:depending on the theme used the icons are located at different URIs and it's a PITA to check for all possibilities.

is it possible in javascript to check the location default location for the files and if they aren't there, load the winstripe icons? otherwise load the themes icons.

zeinko wrote:Now that the official icons have additionally been reduced in size, the overlays used for CSS and XML errors won't display properly at least for the winstripe theme.

sorry, i don't understand. everything displays fine in firefox 1.5 with winstripe and qute.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

ColdFusion650 wrote:
zeniko wrote:depending on the theme used the icons are located at different URIs and it's a PITA to check for all possibilities.

is it possible in javascript to check the location default location for the files and if they aren't there, load the winstripe icons? otherwise load the themes icons.

It is. I did do so. PITA. There is no "default location" - quite some image files are in different locations in at least one of the three official themes (winstripe, pinstripe, qute). Now before I try to do it the right way for all possible themes (since if I do it right, why be content with just qute and pinstripe?), I prefer to simply ship some icons and stick to these. I originally planned to ship completely different icons, but I'm no graphics designer - so I'll stick to what I've got.

ColdFusion650 wrote:
zeinko wrote:Now that the official icons have additionally been reduced in size, the overlays used for CSS and XML errors won't display properly at least for the winstripe theme.

sorry, i don't understand. everything displays fine in firefox 1.5 with winstripe and qute.

The official winstripe message icons are 16x16 pixels, whereas the CSS and XML overlays are 20 pixels wide (which was reasonable for the original 32x32 icons). I'm now using draft images which look like the original icons but measure 24x24 pixels. So there's no way of actually using the official artwork for the most used theme. And since I prefer to keep the CSS/XML overlays at a readable size, you'll have to stick to userChrome.css changes.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i manage to create a better style. yours only changes the error, warning, and message bullets. mine changes the all, eror, warning, message, and clear large and small icons and changes the bullets. posting here for those who want it.

firefox code

/*use native theme icon file, looking in default location*/
toolbarbutton[id^="item_mode"], toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/console/console-toolbar.png") !important;
}
/*themes only include 24px icons, so we have to use large image dimensions for small icons*/
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px 24px 24px 0px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"]:hover,
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px 24px 48px 0px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px 96px 24px 72px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"]:hover,
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px 96px 48px 72px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px 72px 24px 48px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"]:hover,
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px 72px 48px 48px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px 48px 24px 24px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"]:hover,
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px 48px 48px 24px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px 120px 24px 96px) !important;
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"]:hover,
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px 120px 48px 96px) !important;
}
/*themes only include 24px icons, so we have to shrink small icons from 24px down to 16px*/
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon {
   height:16px !important;
   width:16px !important;
}
/*use native theme bullet files, looking in default location*/
.console-row[type="error"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/console/bullet-error.png") !important;
}
.console-row[type="warning"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/console/bullet-warning.png") !important;
}
.console-row[type="message"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/console/bullet-question.png") !important;
}

thunderbird code

/*use native theme icon file, looking in default location*/
toolbarbutton[id^="item_mode"], toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/console/Console-toolbar.png") !important;
}
/*themes only include 16px icons, so we have to use small image dimensions for large icons*/
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"]:hover,
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 16px, 32px, 0px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 16px, 16px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"]:hover,
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 32px, 32px, 16px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 48px, 16px, 32px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"]:hover,
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 48px, 32px, 32px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 64px, 16px, 48px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"]:hover,
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 64px, 32px, 48px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 80px, 16px, 64px) !important;
}
toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"]:hover,
toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"][checked="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 80px, 32px, 64px) !important;
}
/*themes only include 16px icons, so we have to enlarge the icons from 16px to 24px*/
toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon {
   height:24px !important;
   width:24px !important;
}
/*ensure that small icons are 16px. needed to override previous size change*/
toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeAll"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeErrors"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeWarnings"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_modeMessages"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"] .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"]:hover .toolbarbutton-icon, toolbar[iconsize="small"] toolbarbutton[id="item_clearConsole"][checked="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon {
   height:16px !important;
   width:16px !important;
}
/*use native theme bullet files, looking in default location*/
.console-row[type="error"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Error.png") !important;
}
.console-row[type="warning"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Warning.png") !important;
}
.console-row[type="message"] {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/Message.png") !important;